NOOB Grower, Experienced in the Garden though, 1st Indoor Grow

• Thread starter Zebuling
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zebuling

Well, didn't want to create an account and was very happy just reading through multiple other forums but the feedback on this forum was to good not to. Id like to share my grow with everyone and look forward to hearing feedback as my first grow kicks off.

Here's what im going with:

Seeds:
- 2x Lemon Pie Auto Fem
- 2x Skittlez Auto Fem
- 1x Lemon Auto that seedsman gave me for free lol

Notes on Seeds:
I understand these are all auto flowering seeds and my grow process is going to be at an accelerated rate, however my learning will be also. I know i should've bought straight feminized but i didn't know as much as i did now when ordering. Next time i will, but for this grow its okay and i don't mind.

Setup:
- 3x3 grow tent
-1000w LED light off amazon
- 6in Clip on fan
- 5 gal fabric pots

Medium Choice:
70% Pro Mix HP
25-27% Cow/Horse Manure
3-5% Perlite ( Not sure if to use or not to use)

-Notes on my medium, I've spend hours researching and going through threads, if you have any other ideas for me i have about 1-2days before these seeds crack and put their roots out as i have just put them in the paper towels a hour ago.
- I understand also that coco would be a great alternative, however, i have a weird coconut allergy and just don't know how i feel about growing my plants in coco, i also understand I've smoked bud multiple times and never had a reaction of the sort. Its more of a mental thing lol.

Nutrients:
- General HydroPonics Flora Series
- Cal Mag
- Advanced Nutrients Big BUD

Notes on Nutrients: These are all liquid nutrients

Notes on Feeding/Watering Schedule and Questions:

- I have a feeding schedule I have prepared for my plants as they grow however not sure if to share or not as it may be a longer read, but if anyone is interested i will gladly share!
- Being as this is my first grow i still have a lot of different questions regarding this process in general, I plan to water every 2-3days depending on the plants, but i know they will generally create their own schedule and im prepared to adapt. But i am not to sure if i should give them all their nutrients in one watering and then throughout the week just give ph water, or if i should maybe feed about half of what they would be getting that week and feed every watering? I've heard to reduce build up it would be better to feed every other watering, still the question lies on my mind. How much?
- Another thing that is on my mind is LST, i plan to start around week 3 with bending the plant in a circular motion around the pot, clockwise, changing the direction every day or so. Id love to do topping and create a canopy for flower, however i need to research more about it, open to any suggestions of other LST methods or how to properly top a plant. As i am a sponge right now on this stuff.
- I have heard to trim the fan leaves but i still don't understand the entire process behind that.
- One more question i have is how much water i should be actually giving these plants per age and stuff, like throughout the weeks do you guys mix up a nice batch of nutrient water in a home depot bucket? And how much water should each plant be getting?

Finally i look forward to sharing my experience with everyone and hearing as much feedback as possible, I have much to learn and look forward to. I will try to keep this post alive and share pictures and status's of how my grow is going with you guys! Thanks everyone look forward to hearing back with anything you guys have to say or questions for me!

2Bad

2Bad

Well i'm at work but this is alot of good info and i'm sure someone will help. Seeing as you're using cow/horse manure shouldn't you wait for the plant to use all the nutrients up from that? You want to soak the whole plant when you water and get like 10% runoff if you are giving plain water every other feed.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Welcome to the farm.

I'm a full hydro guy and don't grow autos, so I'll not be much help for your specifics. Generally to get the best use of the forum, post a pic and ask a specific question, and folks will be falling all over themselves trying to help you.

I am a little confused with the choice in nutrients, but it may be all good, I've just never grown this way. I use GH Hydro too, but in a very different application. When using organics like manure, I'm not sure if the GH trio is complementary? If nobody comes to help, I'll call in a couple soil growers for you.

Z

Zebuling

Welcome to the farm.

I'm a full hydro guy and don't grow autos, so I'll not be much help for your specifics. Generally to get the best use of the forum, post a pic and ask a specific question, and folks will be falling all over themselves trying to help you.

I am a little confused with the choice in nutrients, but it may be all good, I've just never grown this way. I use GH Hydro too, but in a very different application. When using organics like manure, I'm not sure if the GH trio is complementary? If nobody comes to help, I'll call in a couple soil growers for you.
Thank you thank you, good 2 be here. im still not 100% on using manure with the mix, i have enough of the pro mix hp that i can fill my pots no prob with it. If that's the case though however, just thought id change it up a bit.
When you mention the nutrients may not be compatable, is that because the nutrients are more of a hydro based nutrient? It seems as if the HP has no nutrients really to me, just enough to help root development, was thinking the manure would help in the early seedling stage.
Sounds good thanks for looking out!

Z

Zebuling

Well i'm at work but this is alot of good info and i'm sure someone will help. Seeing as you're using cow/horse manure shouldn't you wait for the plant to use all the nutrients up from that? You want to soak the whole plant when you water and get like 10% runoff if you are giving plain water every other feed.
was hoping the manure would be enough for a good 7-10 days(then start adding nutrients), but still hesitant on using. Ive thought about FF soils but saw a lot of reviews saying it kills plants with the amount of nutrients. I also don't know very much so i could be wrong.

At which stage of the plant do you start giving it a "full soaking" and looking for that 10% run off out the bottom of the bag. Was initially planning on only feeding a few cups of water to each plant at the early stages but not sure what increments i should be increasing by on a weekly/bi-day basis.

Z

Zebuling

was hoping the manure would be enough for a good 7-10 days(then start adding nutrients), but still hesitant on using. Ive thought about FF soils but saw a lot of reviews saying it kills plants with the amount of nutrients. I also don't know very much so i could be wrong.

At which stage of the plant do you start giving it a "full soaking" and looking for that 10% run off out the bottom of the bag. Was initially planning on only feeding a few cups of water to each plant at the early stages but not sure what increments i should be increasing by on a weekly/bi-day basis.
sorry to reply again but not that FF soil is bad I've just read its not the best for auto flowers ideally

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

A few things to take a look at, based on the info you provided. You want to be flowering under about 35 watts of LED per square foot of canopy. If your light is a true 1000W, it's way too much for that tent. More likely is that it's a "1000 level" light. The number to look at is watts from the wall, either in the light's specs or with a watt meter. If you're truly pulling 1000W from the wall, you'll want to flower at about a third of total power if you're in a 3x3. If it's a "1000 level" light that pulls 100-150W from the wall, you'll be under-lit by at least a factor of 2.

If you're basing your feeding schedule on manufacturer's tables, adjust down by at least half for autos.

If you do go ahead with manure in your mix, make sure your pest management program is ready. Anything that comes from outside is a likely source of eggs and larvae. At minimum, you might mix in some diatomaceous earth, which chops up the creepy crawlies and is a good source of silica as a benefit.

Water to run-off when your pots are light. There's no such thing as a correct watering schedule in soil.

The most likely mistakes most new growers make are too much light, too frequent watering, and too much feeding. Just something to consider when you run into issues with your plants.

Congrats on getting started. Good luck!

Z

Zebuling

A few things to take a look at, based on the info you provided. You want to be flowering under about 35 watts of LED per square foot of canopy. If your light is a true 1000W, it's way too much for that tent. More likely is that it's a "1000 level" light. The number to look at is watts from the wall, either in the light's specs or with a watt meter. If you're truly pulling 1000W from the wall, you'll want to flower at about a third of total power if you're in a 3x3. If it's a "1000 level" light that pulls 100-150W from the wall, you'll be under-lit by at least a factor of 2.

If you're basing your feeding schedule on manufacturer's tables, adjust down by at least half for autos.

If you do go ahead with manure in your mix, make sure your pest management program is ready. Anything that comes from outside is a likely source of eggs and larvae. At minimum, you might mix in some diatomaceous earth, which chops up the creepy crawlies and is a good source of silica as a benefit.

Water to run-off when your pots are light. There's no such thing as a correct watering schedule in soil.

The most likely mistakes most new growers make are too much light, too frequent watering, and too much feeding. Just something to consider when you run into issues with your plants.

Congrats on getting started. Good luck!
hey thanks for the warm welcome, you seem to really know your stuff. Below i attached the link to the light i ordered, it says its pulling 110 from the wall but ill check when it gets here with my multimeter. Let me know what you think of the light.

I thought the manure would be an interesting experiment, however i think for now i will be holding off and just using the straight ProMix HP with a cut of perlite. Ready for the pest just don't want to deal with them inside.
Also if it helps this is what's in the PM HP,
  • PHAGNUM PEAT MOSS (65-75%)
  • PERLITE
  • LIMESTONE
  • WETTING AGENT
  • MYCORRHIZAE
Ill be sure to look for the run off and try not to over water. Ive found a thread last night,
this guy does something very similar and its given me a little more info on what to expect.

Thanks again for reaching out, ill be sure to start a grow diary tonight when i get some time and post my journey.

2Bad

2Bad

hey thanks for the warm welcome, you seem to really know your stuff. Below i attached the link to the light i ordered, it says its pulling 110 from the wall but ill check when it gets here with my multimeter. Let me know what you think of the light.

I thought the manure would be an interesting experiment, however i think for now i will be holding off and just using the straight ProMix HP with a cut of perlite. Ready for the pest just don't want to deal with them inside.
Also if it helps this is what's in the PM HP,
  • PHAGNUM PEAT MOSS (65-75%)
  • PERLITE
  • LIMESTONE
  • WETTING AGENT
  • MYCORRHIZAE
Ill be sure to look for the run off and try not to over water. Ive found a thread last night,
this guy does something very similar and its given me a little more info on what to expect.

Thanks again for reaching out, ill be sure to start a grow diary tonight when i get some time and post my journey.
Just remember that over watering is from watering to often and not from soaking the soil. And youll be fine. Good luck !

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

The link was to an air filter. No worries. 110W would be about right for flowering a three square foot canopy. Your 3x3 is three times that, and I don't imagine you want to squash your 5 plants into 3 sqft. Not that you could. Autos will do their own thing. It sounds like you've already popped the beans, so you're on the clock and can't be without a light. I'd veg under your current light for now, but plan to acquire something around 300W to replace it around or (preferably) before the time you start seeing flowering. You could also supplement the light you have with an additional 200W light, or two more of what you have now. It won't be perfect coverage because of the geometry, but it will be close enough.

Z

Zebuling

The link was to an air filter. No worries. 110W would be about right for flowering a three square foot canopy. Your 3x3 is three times that, and I don't imagine you want to squash your 5 plants into 3 sqft. Not that you could. Autos will do their own thing. It sounds like you've already popped the beans, so you're on the clock and can't be without a light. I'd veg under your current light for now, but plan to acquire something around 300W to replace it around or (preferably) before the time you start seeing flowering. You could also supplement the light you have with an additional 200W light, or two more of what you have now. It won't be perfect coverage because of the geometry, but it will be close enough.
Okay so plan is right now I have the HP coming tmrw, just going to try using the HP straight starting, knowing I don’t have the right light amount is now putting me off edge so I’m debating on buying another light to match mine. Then in the mean time if I throw up the old fashion silver domes with a led light in it do you think that will help. Sort of ashamed I don’t have the right equipment and thought lights wasn’t as big as a problem. Now I know. Thanks again for reaching out.
I’ll be sure to fix this issue asap

Also I have a big closet this is in, about 7x4 and therefore have dead space on the outside of the tent, was thinking since I have a lot of spare seeds maybe start a small grow outside of the tent, do you recommend this or am I putting to much on my plate, I have 9 seeds and realistically will have 3-4 plants in the tent, I’d like 5 out realize it may not be feasible .

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Okay so plan is right now I have the HP coming tmrw, just going to try using the HP straight starting, knowing I don’t have the right light amount is now putting me off edge so I’m debating on buying another light to match mine. Then in the mean time if I throw up the old fashion silver domes with a led light in it do you think that will help. Sort of ashamed I don’t have the right equipment and thought lights wasn’t as big as a problem. Now I know. Thanks again for reaching out.
I’ll be sure to fix this issue asap

Also I have a big closet this is in, about 7x4 and therefore have dead space on the outside of the tent, was thinking since I have a lot of spare seeds maybe start a small grow outside of the tent, do you recommend this or am I putting to much on my plate, I have 9 seeds and realistically will have 3-4 plants in the tent, I’d like 5 out realize it may not be feasible .
We all stumble around when we're getting started. The first grow is a series of realizations that you desperately need something...3 days after you needed it. Light is half the game in indoor growing. Assuming adequate CO2 and water, yield is primarily a function of light. If it's any consolation, the extra 4-6 ounces you could yield if you light your tent properly (and don't kill the plants) is worth a lot more than what you'll spend on more light. And that's just one grow. I have no idea about the silver domes. If you're running a progressive light level (as you should), you'd want to start around 80 watts once you're past seedlings, so you're OK for a bit.

I'd keep things simple for starters. One grow at a time until you get your feet under you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom