Noob Grower Question About Odd Cluster In Water Reservoir

• Thread starter saniksane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

saniksane

So I recently set up my first grow, and I'm using a Blumats watering system with a water reservoir. I noticed after a few days of letting the nutrient-mix water sit, there is a dark/blackish cloudy cluster of stuff sitting in the middle of the water. When I stir it, it comes right back. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Is it normal for this to happen when you mix nutrients?

I don't have any pics at the moment because I'm not at the location.

I couldn't find anything on Google, so any help is really appreciated! :)

B

Burned Haze

If you could answer these Questions, might solve a few of your issues?

* r/o water?
* if yes on r/o, do you uv bulb cleanse ? That makes you water last way longer
* are you scrubbing the salts in your Rez , then sterlizing the Rez, then refilling it every round ( so many growers can have this mistake of major salt/bad bacteria in their rez’s cause of that )
* are you phing before you apply or when you are making the tea? Or both ? Maybe you got insoluable stuff in your Rez ( like do you always put your calmag first?)

Salts and combo of organics mixed together + time = issues Inless you keep everything in check ( that’s why hydro guys are most likely salt dudes )

Last edited by a moderator:
S

saniksane

If you could answer these Questions, might solve a few of your issues?

* r/o water?
* if yes on r/o, do you uv bulb cleanse ? That makes you water last way longer
* are you scrubbing the salts in your Rez , then sterlizing the Rez, then refilling it every round ( so many growers can have this mistake of major salt/bad bacteria in their rez’s cause of that )
* are you phing before you apply or when you are making the tea? Or both ? Maybe you got insoluable stuff in your Rez ( like do you always put your calmag first?)

Salts and combo of organics mixed together + time = issues Inless you keep everything in check ( that’s why hydro guys are most likely salt dudes )
just tap water mixed with nutes.

this is the very start of my grow, and this is the first time I've filled the res.

i did put the calmg first, and then the rest.

The res has only had maybe barely a week to sit there

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Are you using organic nutrients? Are you aerating your nutrient solution constantly?

S

saniksane

Are you using organic nutrients? Are you aerating your nutrient solution constantly?
I'm using Remo Nutrient line for soil or soilless in coco coir. Do you mean like pumping air into the reservoir? No, I'm not. Should I be? I guess it makes sense if I should, lol. Is that a normal thing to do in this type of setup?

Sorry if my lack of knowledge disgusts anybody lmao

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

You are not disgusting anyone, or at least not me. You gotta start somewhere.

Yes, you need to have an air pump going in your reservoir at all times. Some might say you don't but I am of the opinion you do. While the leaves need lots of CO2 the roots need lots of oxygen. If your reservoir is not kept oxygenated the available oxygen will deplete too quickly and it can harm your plants. You may also be seeing anaerobic bacterial formation, the black cloud, developing in your reservoir from not adding any oxygen. If you didn't clean and sterilize your reservoir before using it this may very well be the case.

At the very least an air stone will keep the water moving and mixed so nutrients don't fall out of solution.

Also, if you can keep an eye on the temperature of your res, 68°F is ideal but anywhere between 65 and 75 is alright.

One more thing it may be is just that you have too much nutrient in your res. If you are mixing your nutrients at full strength it may simply be too much; it will be for young plants. If you are not already, try mixing the nutrients at half or even quarter strength, if you do not get the cloud it was simply too much nutrient in your water that could not disolve properly.

You may also want to find a nutrient that is designed specifically for coco. It has different needs than straight hydro and soil; this is why many nutrient companies make specific nutrients for coco.

Top Bottom