Noob question on harvest time

• Thread starter BDH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BDH420

BDH420

The yellowing of my leaves is bugging me so much. I have added a lot of nitrogen rich materials to my compost teas. But no good effects. Nothing is changed. Large fan leaves are all turning yellow. but Flower looks fine. I lost my jewelers loop. Anyone have a good eye? Could anyone guestimate on a harvest time. I'm thinking 4 to 6 weeks. But i'm hoping earlier because i'm losing leafs at an alarming rate. Someone pointed out that many in Massachusetts is having this issue. I don't care about bag appeal as i'm turning this into RSO for my father who is battling cancer. I hope my pics do justice as my phone isn't in good condition. I need to upgrade soon im using a pixel 2xl. Here's some current pics. You can see the yellowing that keeps me up at night. hopefully these are not to blurry. I'm open to any suggestions on harvest time or how i might be able to fix the yellowing. I have been feeding them nothing but compost tea made from Coast of Maine lobster compost. It's in nothing but Happy Frog and Coast of Maine. Next year i'll use fabric pots and our homemade compost we have been building for 4 years now. We wanted to build up.enough for 50+ gallon pots next year. This year was more of experimental trial for some RSO. Anyone have a magic eye that could guesstimate harvest time. My other 2 plants are 2 weeks behind the mature one. They don't have many amber heads yet so Im guessing a few more weeks. But I would love a professional opinion. Ordering a new loop today.
Noob question on harvest time
Cola frosty
Justthetipjpg
Frosty heads

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’m in NE Massachusetts. Buds looking good. I’d say at least 2-3 more weeks based on pistils and trichome cloudiness. Try adding some cal-mag or Epsom salts to your water as you may have nutrient lock out but there’s only another 3-4 weeks of grow time left this season.

BDH420

BDH420

Thank you. I got a new jewelers loop and there is some amber heads but not enough yet lots of cloudy heads. Looks like it might get the chop the weekend of the freedom rally. I cant wait to dry and cure as i'm getting low on my last runs supply I only have an ounce and half left and 4 grams of bubble. Im kicking my self for not doing the full 12 we can have. But I was nervous that i wasn't going to do a good job since im used to indoor well kinda used to it. But i'm really happy with the results this run. I learned a lot of what not to do. lol Like use 5 gallon buckets. I learned just happy frog and coast of maine isn't enough. lol I learned a lot about the food web and microbes. I should have used my own compost we have been building for many years. So i'm excited for next year. I set aside i good chunk of change to get some seeds at the rally this year. I hope Jinxproof and Topdawg are back this year and Mainly autos as i want to give some autos a try for early harvest next year. I only grew the Texada Timewarp because i won them online and figured no biggie if i skew them up. But next year its top shelf or go home. lol I also have been looking at Seeds Here and now online and Here on the farm. I did love how the Texada is mold and pest resistant. With all the rain and humidity and heat i was sure i was going to get some rot or mold or pm this year. The girls have been fine though. So i'll look for some genetics geared for outdoor growing. Like the Durban cross Texada is. She has been a very forgiving plant. When i went to 2 weeks of phish shows I came back to wilted plants after the heatwave. They bounced right back.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Add some more drain holes in the buckets. It looks like you have a root zone issue.
You want the bucket to drain easily, not hold water because that will give you root rot and the plant will start looking like yours are.
Get them draining and do a slurry test of your pH.
Slurry Test

BDH420

BDH420

@ComfortablyNumb
Good call. Thank you for the info on the Slurry test. Going to be watering tomorrow. They smell really good and seem to be nearing harvest. The other 2 I think have at least 4 to 6 weeks left. I think I'm going to give this one 2 more weeks.

Ahhh Its my 100th post,

BDH420

BDH420

Here's a couple updated pictures from this morning.
My camera on my phone sucks. Sorry for blurry pics. I'm thinking 1 to 2 more weeks on this lady. opinions welcome. No worries i can take constructive critisism lol I have learned so much from this run outdoors. Growing outside is a totally different beast. Super Props to all you out door Top shelf growers. Mother nature can be so cruel.
PXL 20210903 111856322
PXL 20210903 113157471
PXL 20210903 111952817

Rooke

Rooke

Hey there I have some plants with the same fan leaf yellowing due to lack of nitrogen earlier on I’m trying out a new fertilizer and was only feeding half of the strength recommended too cautious. I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it tho! The rest of the plant looks like it’s getting fed ok. What’s the recommended flowering time for it? How far along are you in flowering? She’s getter close but don’t rush it wait for your loupes lol and go from there.

Madbud

Madbud

Don’t try chasing a nitrogen deficiency, if the roots could take it up they would, but being a mobile nutrient, the plant is feeding off the fan leaves. I see it more in small containers and buckets are the worst, too hot and the roots suffocate, add a gallon of water feeding and it only gets worse. Let them finish as long as they can and watch for caterpillar damage in the bottom and middle of buds. It looks like “bud rot”, grey and pulls easily but if you look there will be black pepperlike specs and a tiny caterpillar, tiny. 5 gal black, 7.5 gal tan, hf and of with perlite and the trio nutes. NE mass:

BDH420

BDH420

Hey there I have some plants with the same fan leaf yellowing due to lack of nitrogen earlier on I’m trying out a new fertilizer and was only feeding half of the strength recommended too cautious. I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it tho! The rest of the plant looks like it’s getting fed ok. What’s the recommended flowering time for it? How far along are you in flowering? She’s getter close but don’t rush it wait for your loupes lol and go from there.
Flower is about 8 weeks in but shes a Durbin Poison cross so 10 week recommended. they are doing better than i thought they would. I decided not to use any bottled nutes or any additives. This was done with just a bag of Happy Frog and a bag of coast of Maine compost. I added some molasses, sprouted alfalfa and yard clippings to a water reservoir/rain catcher which also had some coast of Maine lobster compost added that sits for 5 day, 2 days with a airstone on. well the reservoir never gets completely empty so each time there's a couple gallons of tea left over I just keep adding to it. I use a wire mesh screen to filter out plant additives before watering I add them back to the reservoir. They get fed this once a week and just plain rain water when they look thirsty before a hot day. I added coffee grounds for a week but sparingly because of the acidity but they pack a lot of nitrogen. The plants smell amazing the terps are out of control you can smell them a block away. lol which is why I'm getting anxious to harvest. I do have a lot of teenagers in my neighborhood. I noticed my neighbors kids and their friends all looking at them through the fence the other night. I do have cameras but i don't think it would prevent a drunk kid wanting to impress his friends by being a show off. lol These teens like to party hard in their backyard. I don't mind just don't trespass on my property.

BDH420

BDH420

Don’t try chasing a nitrogen deficiency, if the roots could take it up they would, but being a mobile nutrient, the plant is feeding off the fan leaves. I see it more in small containers and buckets are the worst, too hot and the roots suffocate, add a gallon of water feeding and it only gets worse. Let them finish as long as they can and watch for caterpillar damage in the bottom and middle of buds. It looks like “bud rot”, grey and pulls easily but if you look there will be black pepperlike specs and a tiny caterpillar, tiny. 5 gal black, 7.5 gal tan, hf and of with perlite and the trio nutes. NE mass:
Awesome job on yours! they look really good. Im NE Mass also. I gave up on the Nitrogen my other 2 seem to be doing better. this one is nearing the end so i'm just using water and letting her finish doing her thing. Do the coffee cans help prevent caterpillars? I like your setup with rebar and weight for wind protection good engineering on that. My biggest worry is spider mites. 25 years ago I went into major debt because of spider mites. Huge lesson learned. I have major anxiety over them. I'm growing up on a deck 2 stories up so pests havent been a big issue so far.

Last edited:
Wanda_Cosma

Wanda_Cosma

Have you tried worm casting tea? Quick hit of nitrogen that plants usually love. But honestly I wouldn't give them N this late in flower. I'd be more likely to ride it out and pull a few days early if needed.

Madbud

Madbud

Awesome job on yours! they look really good. Im NE Mass also. I gave up on the Nitrogen my other 2 seem to be doing better. this one is nearing the end so i'm just using water and letting her finish doing her thing. Do the coffee cans help prevent caterpillars? I like your setup with rebar and weight for wind protection good engineering on that. My biggest worry is spider mites. 25 years ago I went into major debt because of spider mites. Huge lesson learned. I have major anxiety over them. I'm growing up on a deck 2 stories up so pests havent been a big issue so far.
The coffee cans give me two watering zones but its mainly just how i start them. Cut the can bottom out and put the lid on the bottom so to transplant i just take the lid off and the plant gets pushed out, leave the can half on til they root then pull it up. I keep the best and give away a couple dozen each year, plus i drinks a lot of coffee.

Rooke

Rooke

If the rippers are eye your gals I would bring them inside at dark cuz they don’t respect jack shit these days.

BDH420

BDH420

If the rippers are eye your gals I would bring them inside at dark cuz they don’t respect jack shit these days.
Good Idea the whole reason they are in buckets was so i could move them easily. I got my plants stolen in 2016. I'm still paranoid about it.

Top Bottom