Noob's Second Attempt At First Grow - Tangerine Dream Autos.

• Thread starter Fangthane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fangthane

Fangthane

For the past week, I'd been giving light nute feedings (1mL/gal) and I noticed some nute burn on some tips a couple of days ago. I flushed them Tuesday and won't be trying to sneak any feed in a for a long while. They seem to be doing ok still. While I had it out to flush it, I decided to try some very minor LST on the biggest one. Doubt I'm gonna bother trying much more of it on this grow. Given my lack of experience I think I'm just gonna try to let them do their thing - screw it, they'll yield whatever they yield.

Here are a few Day 15 update pics.
DSCN0031
DSCN0032
DSCN0033
DSCN0034

newh

newh

For the past week, I'd been giving light nute feedings (1mL/gal) and I noticed some nute burn on some tips a couple of days ago. I flushed them Tuesday and won't be trying to sneak any feed in a for a long while. They seem to be doing ok still. While I had it out to flush it, I decided to try some very minor LST on the biggest one. Doubt I'm gonna bother trying much more of it on this grow. Given my lack of experience I think I'm just gonna try to let them do their thing - screw it, they'll yield whatever they yield.

Here are a few Day 15 update pics.
View attachment 826361 View attachment 826362 View attachment 826363 View attachment 826364
They look right on for 15 days.Are you letting the pots get fairly dry?Over watering is probably the biggest mistake new growers make with soil.If you want to fuck with them everyday get some coco for your next try.Its alot more hands on other than just waiting for the next water in a few days.Other than picking a few leaves here and there I dont train my autos I just let them go.People do train autos but I dont think it helps as much as with photos

Fangthane

Fangthane

Are you letting the pots get fairly dry?Over watering is probably the biggest mistake new growers make with soil.If you want to fuck with them everyday get some coco
You may have just nailed my biggest problem: I'm kinda fixated on them. Probably doesn't help that I haven't smoked in a few weeks and they've gotten to the point where I can smell them when I walk by the tent room. I wouldn't say I let them get particularly dry between waterings; I jam my finger an inch or two into the soil and water when it just feels slightly damp, not soggy by any means.

Living in a region with very low humidity, I've gotten it into my head that I need to saturate them fairly often. I give very small amounts of water; never anywhere near enough to have runoff. When I did a little flush the other day, it was the first time anything ran out of my pots.

Do you see something in the pics that implies overwatering? I managed to spot the yellowing of the leaf tips pretty quickly, but I lack the experience to understand anything else the plants may be trying to tell me - hence my flooding the thread with pics.

Fangthane

Fangthane

I have a couple of general questions for anyone who may be browsing: 1) Would there be any point/advantage to putting a trellis net in there? 2) At what point would it be safe to start trimming/removing some of the larger fan leaves to let more light into the lower nodes?

Fangthane

Fangthane

Well, apparently no one particularly gives a shit about my thread, but I'm going to keep updating it.
Day 21 photo update. First 4 are just general pics:
IMG 20180905 080959
IMG 20180905 075835
IMG 20180905 080649
IMG 20180905 080127

The next few are some possible issues I'm seeing. Is it nute burn? Leaf septoria? How worried should I be? Since the flush I'd previously mentioned, they've only gotten water with a very light mix of Protect, so I'm thinking nute burn seems unlikely.

IMG 20180905 075923

IMG 20180905 080733

Now, for the last one, I think it may be good news? Do these white hairs that are starting to stick out at the nodes have something to do with impending sexual maturity? Kind of a shitty pic, but hopefully it's clear enough.
IMG 20180905 080515

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

yeah,that protect will raise your ph.If you use it with your nutes add it first and mix it well before adding the nutes.You can add it to just your water but watch your ph .You have ph drops to back up your meter?I gave up on meters cheap ones suck and will fuck your plants before you know what happened, drops dont lie lol.
Unless ur colorblind

newh

newh

Well, apparently no one particularly gives a shit about my thread, but I'm going to keep updating it.
Day 21 photo update. First 4 are just general pics:
View attachment 827607 View attachment 827608 View attachment 827609 View attachment 827610

The next few are some possible issues I'm seeing. Is it nute burn? Leaf septoria? How worried should I be? Since the flush I'd previously mentioned, they've only gotten water with a very light mix of Protect, so I'm thinking nute burn seems unlikely.

View attachment 827611
View attachment 827617

Now, for the last one, I think it may be good news? Do these white hairs that are starting to stick out at the nodes have something to do with impending sexual maturity? Kind of a shitty pic, but hopefully it's clear enough.
View attachment 827618
They look nice,I wouldnt worry about those couple spots.Try tucking those big fan leafs under the top shoots to let them get better light.

Fangthane

Fangthane

Try tucking those big fan leafs under the top shoots to let them get better light.
Since the pistils are becoming so prominent, I'm guessing that it's going to go into bloom fairly soon. Once it's out of veg, should I maybe start strategically removing some of the large fan leaves? I've read a good bit of different opinions on that matter. It seems that some people are becoming more confident that autos aren't quite as fragile as they may have once been; some people seem to swear by defoliating their autos.

I've tried some tucking, but they just never stay out of the way for very long. I've put a stupid CFL very close to them for a tiny bit of extra light. I have another single 50w COB that I've been using to light a baby tomato plant, but I just moved that over to hit my main crop, hoping to penetrate thru some of the brush. I'm probably gonna hang it differently so it shines directly on them from the side.

newh

newh

Since the pistils are becoming so prominent, I'm guessing that it's going to go into bloom fairly soon. Once it's out of veg, should I maybe start strategically removing some of the large fan leaves? I've read a good bit of different opinions on that matter. It seems that some people are becoming more confident that autos aren't quite as fragile as they may have once been; some people seem to swear by defoliating their autos.

I've tried some tucking, but they just never stay out of the way for very long. I've put a stupid CFL very close to them for a tiny bit of extra light. I have another single 50w COB that I've been using to light a baby tomato plant, but I just moved that over to hit my main crop, hoping to penetrate thru some of the brush. I'm probably gonna hang it differently so it shines directly on them from the side.
I would stick with the tucking for now its an everyday thing till your tops get taller.The more light the better just make sure you keep your temps in check

Fangthane

Fangthane

I would stick with the tucking for now its an everyday thing till your tops get taller.The more light the better just make sure you keep your temps in check
Ok, thanks for the advice. I just went in to see what tucking I could do and I noticed something that I somehow managed to miss this morning when I took the other pics. The little nub-like leaves at the very bottom of the stalk are very yellow. Maybe those spots I pointed out are actually the beginnings of nitrogen deficiency? Time to start feeding them again? My phone sucks as a camera, but this pic is about as good as I could get on short notice.
IMG 20180905 171218

newh

newh

Ok, thanks for the advice. I just went in to see what tucking I could do and I noticed something that I somehow managed to miss this morning when I took the other pics. The little nub-like leaves at the very bottom of the stalk are very yellow. Maybe those spots I pointed out are actually the beginnings of nitrogen deficiency? Time to start feeding them again? My phone sucks as a camera, but this pic is about as good as I could get on short notice.
View attachment 827715
those are cotyledon leaves,the seed leaves.they feed the plant till the regular leaves form,they are suppossed to die.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

If your new to this, keep it simple, I fried my autos the first time.
A 1000 watt hps @ 100% was a bit too much for em, oh and coco got dry.
I did lst but, little bit at a time.
Dont go for the gusto in the first bend, go gradually.
After a couple weeks of flower they really dont like to be messed with.
I startled mine, they turned out ok, meh, I know I could do better .I had to fry my 10$ each beans and waste all the weeks to learn my lesson.
Its your bud,
-Ty

Fangthane

Fangthane

Since taking the last batch of pics on Wednesday, the plants have suddenly shot up a good 6+ inches. What exactly does that mean? Have they officially gone into flower phase? Are they right about to? I'm sure this is a dumbass question, but how exactly do you know when they're past veg?

newh

newh

they have a growth spurt at the onset of flowering.are you seeing hairs at all the bud sites yet?

Fangthane

Fangthane

are you seeing hairs at all the bud sites yet?
I'm sure you'd be a better judge of that than I am. Here are some pics from a few minutes ago. Really need to find the damn charging cord for the camera so I can stop using a phone to take pics.
Day 25:
20180909 174815
20180909 174832
20180909 174837
20180909 174847
20180909 174908
20180909 174924

Fangthane

Fangthane

Alrighty. So, today is their 1 month birthday. It should also be about the end of their first week of flower. I clearly have no idea what exactly they should look like at this point, but they just don't seem to look very good to me. I could really use some input here. They've put on some serious vertical growth, but flowers just don't seem to be progressing much, if any, beyond where they were when I posted the last batch of pics. Here they are, as they looked about 10 minutes ago:
20180915 063004
20180915 063012
20180915 063018
20180915 063024
20180915 063029
20180915 063044
20180915 063050
20180915 062952

All in all, they just look kinda overly bare to me. Also, the very bottom leaves are seriously yellowing. Considering that I started to feed when they started flowering, it seems counterintuitive that they should be cannibalizing the lower extremities at this point - especially since there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on with the flowers. Should I clip off the bottom 1/3 of the branches to try to divert resources to the upper growth? Am I just overreacting to plants that are actually pretty much normal? Your thoughts??

Fangthane

Fangthane

How far away is your light?
Right now, it's 16" above their tips. I did have it a few inches closer, but moved it up a bit yesterday. I'd seen people mention that, as long as the light didn't feel hot on your hand, it would be safe for the plants. It didn't feel remotely hot at 12", but figured a little more space wouldn't hurt.

Top Bottom