Northeast outdoor grow seed and time ?

• Thread starter UpstateThc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UpstateThc

UpstateThc

I live in upstate NY and plan on starting my first grow my knowledge of growing is increasing daily. The few questions I am stumped on and need several opinions on are as follows
1. What type of strain would be best for climate
2. When should I start inside and what are the steps for lighting ,tempature and when should I plant seed
3. Buckets or plant in ground ?
4. Soil.

Keymaker

Keymaker

I grew northern lights from sensi Fresian dew from dutch with only a small amount of bud rot last year. I started the seeds April first and they got way to big for me like 10 ft balls. I’m gonna wait until June this time. I wouldn’t worry to much about temp and all that if there gonna end up out side 70-75 around 45-55 humidity they’ll be good. T5s or leds like a hlg100 would be good. I made raised beds with loam and local plant compost and put about 20-30 pound of cow compost in the hole before I trans planted and they got huge.

UpstateThc

UpstateThc

I grew northern lights from sensi Fresian dew from dutch with only a small amount of bud rot last year. I started the seeds April first and they got way to big for me like 10 ft balls. I’m gonna wait until June this time. I wouldn’t worry to much about temp and all that if there gonna end up out side 70-75 around 45-55 humidity they’ll be good. T5s or leds like a hlg100 would be good. I made raised beds with loam and local plant compost and put about 20-30 pound of cow compost in the hole before I trans planted and they got huge.
How long did you keep them inside for...when did u plant seed.?

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Ya. May is fine or early june.
Sensi seeds shiva skunk has a wide "window of doneness". It is quite frosty and firm for a good while before any ambers present. And vigorous, mold resistant, forgiving feeder either way. Identical and incredibly vigorous phenos.

sensi seeds hindu kush. I read LOTS of mentions of this in "best ever" threads around here. It's been around for decades and they still have some version of it. I bet it's pretty stable. From the hindu kush mountains which I guess gets pretty cold and stuff.

Cookies strains. Barneys farm indicas in general would probably serve you well. Ive done some wedding cake. It's cliche and the smoke is somewhat shallow and pedantic. But it is impressive to grow. Fills in really thick heavy buds pretty early. And your friends will love it because it's called wedding cake. Ive heard several people here say they like the LSD and also vanilla kush. And also blue cheese and also triple cheese.

british columbia seeds northern lights #5. Last place storing some form of the famed #5 supposedly. should do ok.

Sagarmatha northern lights #9 . nobody talks about it but I know it was potent back in the day. I have a feeling it might do nicely. Says it stays short which is good for us east folk.

big head seeds alien tech. Says its a stout rugged plant. Seems to get used in a lot of crosses. looks frosty...

The more research I do the harder it is to decide.

Make sure to stake and trellis and support the shit out of anything higher than chest level. We should be in the calm weather cycle this year. But east coast windstorms and particularly tall plants DO NOT like each other.
Look into silica supplement for overall strength and resilience. I will let other people talk about feeding.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
I start in June as well, otherwise they get way too big, visible and smelly.
June and July growing,
August and September flowering, most are ready beginning October.
And i like to grow some sativa till November, possible here with the mediterranean climate.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Im not too familiar with outdoor but I believe there is a product that can be sprayed to help prevent bud rot. May be worth checking out

ARCH111

ARCH111

I may be in trouble with the size of my plants. I am also in the NE and I just started my seeds. they will stay indoors until I can move them outside.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Research lst and hst you'll be fine. They can be pruned back for height control before flower fairly aggressively if you need to. And even a few times during... Some big farmers even use hedge clippers to tighten things up just like a bush.

Also you could look into making clones. See which one seems the healthiest or the stinkiest. Make clones from it. And still have plenty of time to plant those or give them out before the season.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

big head seeds skywalker ghost og. Make sure to top it once or twice otherwise the main cola will get enormous and invite rot BUT. it stays reasonably short and finishes end of september.

Also get some plant repair tar stuff. For pruning or splitting mishaps.

x2 on keymaker's suggestion for sensi seeds northern lights. Make no mistake. These are not the most new school names but the tried and true genetics are forgiving for beginners AND the smoke is absolutely not lacking.

Also kosher kush. Seems to treat people well. Shows up alot on best ever threads. It's a kush so should finish pretty early.

Last edited:
weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Ya more like what he said. I'm not quite so north I suppose.

But here's my EXHAUSTIVELY and obsessively researched final 4 for this year for what was available feminized on midweeksong.com

pre 98 bubba bx2 - cali connection
grizzly purple kush - blim burn seeds
godberry - freedom of seeds
skywalka ghost kush - big head seeds

And I'm kicking myself for not ordering shiva skunk again because it was incredibly durable to grow and satisfying smoke. Several people here would agree that most indica's from sensi seeds is an excellent first grow choice.
I dont do autos for whatever reason but probably should... They're starting to look like the same damn thing only faster.

Madbud

Madbud

I’ll germinate in March after the full moon, lights on a 14/10 schedule til i put them out late April-early May. The first week in the shade to harden, then either no til soil or 5-7 gallon bags. Bags keep them short. You can top but i don’t, just bend branches as summer goes on. Harvest late Sept-Oct.

Top Bottom