Northern Lights Autoflower First Grow Fail!! HELP

• Thread starter GreenTomatoes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenTomatoes

Wife and I finally decided to try our hand at an AutoFlower grow. Tons of info online, between forums and YouTube. Here was the plan of attack
Setup:
2x2x4 Tent
Viparspectra XS1500 LED
Honeywell Fan
5 gallon Mesh Pots
Northen Lights Auto Flower (Growers Choice Seeds)

Step 1: Germinated in a wet paper towel and after 4 days had a 3/4" taproot
Step 2: Bought 2 bags of this: https://zamzows.com/products/black-gold-natural-and-organic-8-qt?_pos=12&_sid=7cf2afeea&_ss=r (Potting Soil)
Mixed Gai Green 4-4-4 and Gai Green 2-8-4 (Did 4 TBS per 1gal or the 4-4-4 and 2 per 1 gal of the 2-8-4)
Mixed it well and gave it a light watering.
Step 3: 1" inch hole and dropped seeling in, taproot down. Light watering. Used bottled water (PH was 6.0) and continued to water with bottled water, I do have a RO/DI system (not setup yet)
Step 4: Lights were about 24-30" above seedling and 75% power and temps were 72-88 with humidity around 50-75% during the time shifts.
Step 5: Doing a 20/4 light cycle. (When lights go off for 4 hours, temps always go to about 68 and then back to around 75 when lights are on)
Step 6: Seedling broke surface and looked good for day days.
Step 7: First time growing, just tried to keep the plant not to dry or to wet
Step 8: about 8 days in and was happy, then noticed 2 leaves kinda looking yellow and the no growth on the leaves.
Step 9: Read like crazy and confuses, maybe I overwatered and stunted the seedling, lights to intense not sure.
Step 10: Use my Bluelab Soil Pen and check my soild PH is 7.5 to 7.6 WTF?

I have a bluelab Soil Pen and PH Pen - I am thinking the Potting Soil we bought had to much fertilizer in it with me adding the Gai Green? First ever grow so tried to cover everything, but missed something.

Any ideas where I went wrong and what I should adjust? I think I need to get a more relaxed potting soil and add like 10% cocoa

Mostly watched MR. Canucks Grows and got most the stuff he uses. I just want to make some mix and add water and top off with nutrients when needed. Thought I had this covered.

This is 14 days from breaking surface. There are No ROOTS, basically broke surface, grew 2 new leaves, got me pyshced, then didn't grow at all in size, started to go yellow and now that. I tried to dry out the pot and obviously that turned it into this crusty thing. I think this is a loser, going to germinate a new one in a paper towel and try to drop a seed into a smaller cup and start that way and transplant after about 15 days if that goes well?

That's the tent setup - leaving lights at 75% to much this early?

Northern lights autoflower first grow fail help
Northern lights autoflower first grow fail help 2
Northern lights autoflower first grow fail help 3
G

GreenTomatoes

Thank you. When I first transplanted the seedling, I didn't realize the light had a dimmer setting. The first week I had the light on the lowest setting, then raised it to about 75% light. That's when the issues started to happen now that I think about it, leafs stopped growing and then it stayed the exact same for about 4 days before the 2 original leaves started to yellow and no growth, that's when I turned up the light. I went back out and put a new seed in the same pot and turned the lights to 25% on the dial and will try that for a few weeks before adjusting. I also started a new seed in a solo cup with a basic potting soil and a small scoop of the mixed 5 gallon I already have and added that to the tent as well. So no I have 1 new seed in the 5 gallon and a solo cup sitting on top of the 5 gallon with a mild soil to start it.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
With that light you can easily grow seedlings @10% power. Babies need very little light.

G

GreenTomatoes

With that light you can easily grow seedlings @10% power. Babies need very little light.
So for the first 2 or 3 weeks should I leave that light around 20% power and about 24" above seedlings? I placed my bluetooth temp and humidity monitor on the ground below the plant to try and see the actual temps hitting the soil. what temp should I am for in the soil?

Gai Green says 4-4-4 is 3TBS per gallon of medium. I did 4 TBSper gallon. So a total 20 TBS 4-4-4 to the 5 gallon Potting Soil. That's the forumla Mr. Canucks Grow recommends and I did 2TBS per 5gallons medium of the 2-8-5

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
So for the first 2 or 3 weeks should I leave that light around 20% power and about 24" above seedlings? I placed my bluetooth temp and humidity monitor on the ground below the plant to try and see the actual temps hitting the soil. what temp should I am for in the soil?

Yup, i like to keep my temps during veg from 72-82 trying to stay around the 75ish mark. I try to align my humidity with the leaf vpd not the air temp

Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-1.jpg

G

GreenTomatoes

Update:

Germinated 1 seed in my original super soil that everyone says is too “hot” and a second seed in a 1 cup with a base soil with no added fertilizers.

Keep lights at 20% temps at 75 and humidity around 70-80%

1 cup sprouted first and took off. The 5 gallon sprouted a day later and was much slower growing.

After week 2 I transplanted the 1 cup to the other 5 gallon pot ( mixed with Ocean 75 and happy frog at the top for transplant) sadly the bottom of the root system came off during transfer even being super careful.

As you can see the original super soul plant found it’s stride and made progress while the other is recovering from the transfer.

Only planned on one plant, so if both yield on my first grow I’ll be happy.

Lights are up to about 35% and about 18” from plants.

When should I increase light PAR?

I also read heavy on Topping. Decided for first grow since I have 2 plants in this 2x2 I won’t tip this time and try to cause more issues as I’m a Noob!

Temps are now around 75-77 consistent with 50-55% humidity. Have a small dehumidifier and fan blowing 24/7

3B2AB654 AD93 46A4 BEE5 FE79A783FF29
6930495E 1A01 4E75 B999 6EC7DDE34295
26852900 E315 4380 98F3 5B8560317C7B
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

🐼 Fu
Supporter
Thank you. When I first transplanted the seedling, I didn't realize the light had a dimmer setting. The first week I had the light on the lowest setting, then raised it to about 75% light. That's when the issues started to happen now that I think about it, leafs stopped growing and then it stayed the exact same for about 4 days before the 2 original leaves started to yellow and no growth, that's when I turned up the light. I went back out and put a new seed in the same pot and turned the lights to 25% on the dial and will try that for a few weeks before adjusting. I also started a new seed in a solo cup with a basic potting soil and a small scoop of the mixed 5 gallon I already have and added that to the tent as well. So no I have 1 new seed in the 5 gallon and a solo cup sitting on top of the 5 gallon with a mild soil to start it.
Seedling 25% veg 50% , early flower 75%, late flower IF the canopy is full turn up to 100%. That is how this light has worked for me anyways, good luck

Top Bottom