not making flowers

• Thread starter Skynet97
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skynet97

Skynet97

Hi guys, im new and learning everything I can.
Right now I have 2 plants up, just as an experiment to get a feel for lights, watering, nutrients.
These two plants have been growing for 4 months but no fun flowers. So I want to ask here to see what knowledge I can glean.
Got the seeds for these two plants from weed I bought. I have proper autoflower seeds waiting, but I wanted to try out some plants first just to make the worst mistakes on random seeds.

The very first light I was using, when the plants were small:

Light in use now:

On the neutrients side, the plants have gotten biobizz bloom lately. Ive been doing the schedule like this: 1 day neutrients and water. 1 day just water. 1 day nothing. Repeat.
5 ml neutrient in 1L of water.

Running lights on 12/12 now and have for 2 months.
Will be getting a grow tent in a few days, btw.

Very curious for the knowledge you guys have. Are my two plants too fucked up?

Not making flowers
Not making flowers 2
Not making flowers 3
Not making flowers 4
Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Plants need a certain amount of darkness to switch to flowering mode. The standard cycle is 12 on 12 off. As @Beachwalker mentioned, they need 12 hours of total uninterrupted darkness. After about 10 days of this your plants should begin to stretch and start flowering... or making male flowers if using regular seeds and bad luck! Have you been keeping them in the dark for long enough?

fishbuds

fishbuds

provided you aint effin up, like with funny lites n stuff, it could just be a freak. i grew a huge plant from a reputable breeder, and it never flowered. strange but true.

Skynet97

Skynet97

Hi,
Yes I am starting to realise that maybe its that they have some light during the day. I keep the grow light on between 2300h and 1100h. Then its supposed to be dark outside of that - but with this coronatime and me being in an home office with the plants.... heh.

Hopefully that means that once they get a tent, they might start growing bud?

Kepp89

Kepp89

Hi,
Yes I am starting to realise that maybe its that they have some light during the day. I keep the grow light on between 2300h and 1100h. Then its supposed to be dark outside of that - but with this coronatime and me being in an home office with the plants.... heh.

correct. i might reveg it for a week to let it settle in to A light schedule for a solid 7 days, then phase into flowering. so 20/4 down to 18/6 then to 12/12. the constant switching from flower to veg can stress the plant and i imagine thats whats happened to you

Last edited:
Skynet97

Skynet97

Hi,

I have the plants installed in the new tent now :-) Going to give you an update in a few days.

Skynet97

Skynet97

**UPDATE**
Hi guys, an update on my plants. So to recap a bit, before I had grow tent and powerful lights I planted two orphan seeds I had lying around. Just to try it out, and learn some mistakes on orphans in stead of proper genetics.
Last I updated here my problem with these two plants was that they are huge and that they dont produce any fun stuff, and Maybe wont either?
Feedback from forum, was that these two were not flowering because I had it basically on 24/7 lights the entire time.
Now they have had 1 week of 12/12, and my granted ignorant eyes, cant see any improvement in the flowers.

When I got the tent, ventilation and proper light up, I hatched 3 new seeds to start from scratch. 1 is Alaskian Purple and the two others are orphans again. (difficult to get seeds in NOR)

The new plants have come out of the ground too - see attached timelapse of the alaskian :-) But since my new plants need 24/7 lights, I take the two big plants out at 2100h and in again at 0900h. When the two big plants are in the tent, the humudity looks good too. But when they are not in the tent, the hum% goes down to 30%. How big of a problem is this?

I have a DHT22 sensor hanging in the top of the tent - right to make sure I dont burn the house down, so I hang it above the lamp. On the hum% and temp graph you can see that the humidity is over 60 with the big plants in the tent, and 30% at night when there are only the new seedslings in the tent.

Please feel free to give me feedback on the tent setup, and any tips on the two useless bastards is appreciated :-)

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
**UPDATE**
Hi guys, an update on my plants. So to recap a bit, before I had grow tent and powerful lights I planted two orphan seeds I had lying around. Just to try it out, and learn some mistakes on orphans in stead of proper genetics.
Last I updated here my problem with these two plants was that they are huge and that they dont produce any fun stuff, and Maybe wont either?
Feedback from forum, was that these two were not flowering because I had it basically on 24/7 lights the entire time.
Now they have had 1 week of 12/12, and my granted ignorant eyes, cant see any improvement in the flowers.

When I got the tent, ventilation and proper light up, I hatched 3 new seeds to start from scratch. 1 is Alaskian Purple and the two others are orphans again. (difficult to get seeds in NOR)

The new plants have come out of the ground too - see attached timelapse of the alaskian :-) But since my new plants need 24/7 lights, I take the two big plants out at 2100h and in again at 0900h. When the two big plants are in the tent, the humudity looks good too. But when they are not in the tent, the hum% goes down to 30%. How big of a problem is this?

I have a DHT22 sensor hanging in the top of the tent - right to make sure I dont burn the house down, so I hang it above the lamp. On the hum% and temp graph you can see that the humidity is over 60 with the big plants in the tent, and 30% at night when there are only the new seedslings in the tent.

Please feel free to give me feedback on the tent setup, and any tips on the two useless bastards is appreciated :-)
get one these or something it for the babies

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
**UPDATE**

did you smoke the weed where those two big plants came from? what kind was it?
could of been hemp? haha..
ya wtf, give it at another week of 12/12, post some picks, to me if it’s not showing after that than it’s a goner..

Skynet97

Skynet97

@GNick55 -
Great idea, I will get one of these. Especially important as I get better and scale up :-)

And yes, I did smoke the weed that these seeds came from. Had alot of it for a long time. Good quality smoke and the seller told me the strain was called Somango - but I dont trust that enough to say that this is proper seeds.

I will return with pics in a week :-)

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
@GNick55 -
Great idea, I will get one of these. Especially important as I get better and scale up :-)

And yes, I did smoke the weed that these seeds came from. Had alot of it for a long time. Good quality smoke and the seller told me the strain was called Somango - but I dont trust that enough to say that this is proper seeds.

I will return with pics in a week :-)
somango is a cross of hack herer and some skunks, nice.
says 9-10 week flowering, that’s with nice lights.
i think it will pull through, it’s just slowly transitioning after some stresses.. just watch it and care for it and leave it alone.

Skynet97

Skynet97

somango is a cross of hack herer and some skunks, nice.
says 9-10 week flowering, that’s with nice lights.
i think it will pull through, it’s just slowly transitioning after some stresses.. just watch it and care for it and leave it alone.

Yea if theres still a chance - I will give the plants that chance.
Should I defoliate (or what ever its called) the lower branches? Cut away lower leaves? Or is this called lollipopping? Learning so many new terms now :-)

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
well look at it as light penetration getting through to potential bud sites, don’t do it for the sake of it, only if it needs it here and there.
i wouldn’t do anything for a while, just leave it be, recoup from any stress.. etc.
it’s more like your learning more about yourself than growing, haha..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yea if theres still a chance - I will give the plants that chance.
Should I defoliate (or what ever its called) the lower branches? Cut away lower leaves? Or is this called lollipopping? Learning so many new terms now :-)
you could o. the meantime watch some videos of things like LST, sog, defoliant, get different opinions, etc.
you’ll get the feel of what’s best for you.

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

Just try to grow healthy plants, don't get cute with the techniques, only trim off what's causing problems, right now, you have no issues with air flow or mold or whatever, so leave them be. They have had a hardish life, ripping their arms and legs off will only contribute more to that.

You can do whatever, I would just flower them out and learn rather than try a bunch of stuff.

Do not fuck around with your autos, if you stress or screw around with an auto in veg it can completely mess up your yields in flower. They like a nice gentle life where nothing stunts their growth. good thing is the more light the better it seems. Issue you're going to have is those 12/12 girls are 2 months plus away and you're going to have autos ready to flower so there is going to be a space crunch coming.

ludacris

ludacris

The large plants look ready, make a light-proof cardboard box to keep them in complete darkness and up the darkness period to 16 hrs. I'm so curious to see what happens...

Skynet97

Skynet97

good idea. I will make a cardboard box for it, and keep it in 16h darkness. See what happens.
The plants are looking very good and healthy, but no budds heh. So 16h darkness to see if it changes :-)

Skynet97

Skynet97

Hi guys, its time for an update. Id love to hear your feedback.

I put my 2 big plants on 14h dark and 10h light on March 31st. (also light proofed the room)

Since then, there has been a huge change in the plant - as you guys suggested there would be. Definate flower growth, see pictures. Pictures might make the buds look big, though they are still pretty small.

Right now, this is about the 2 big "orpan"-bastard seeds I planted in Nov-19.

The 3 new hatchlings I put in pots on the 31st, are growing very well. 1 Alaskan Purple, which is definately the strongest plant.
2 more randomseeds I had lying around. In a few days they have been 14 days on 24h light. Should I change it down to 18/6 ? I was planning on starting on the biobizz feeding schedule after 2 weeks too.

20200411 105201
20200411 105209
20200411 105240
Soil
Skynet97

Skynet97

Hi guys, I wanted to post an update and possibly get some feedback:-)

To recap a bit, planted 2 seeds I didnt know anything about except the weed it came with was fantastic. planted in nov-19. Put into 14h dark, 10h light on March 29th and its now been 4 weeks with a lot of water++ comsumption and growth.

What I want to ask the forums participants about is, how soon do I harvest these? I gestimate about 2 more weeks?

Ps. sorry about the pic quality, I have to use my cellphone.

20200425 173427
20200425 173433
20200425 173453
20200425 173538
20200425 173548
20200425 173602
20200425 173609

Latest posts

Top Bottom