Not your typical first grow

• Thread starter DosMo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If running AC, HEAT, DEHUEY with co2 why exchange air? I'm just kinda failing to see the benefit. Maybe once at lights out but I'm not sure what I'm missing

I thought many growers exchange all the air in the room at timed intervals. Takes some strain off the equipment and “freshens” up the room. The commercial rooms i saw had big exhaust fans for that task.

Rest of the time it all recirculates.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought many growers exchange all the air in the room at timed intervals. Takes some strain off the equipment and “freshens” up the room. The commercial rooms i saw had big exhaust fans for that task.

Rest of the time it all recirculates.
Yeah I been looking into that since our convo of fresh air. I can't think of another gas the plant benefits from that needs replaced and since for every ppm of co2 taken into the plant during photo synthesis gives roughly 10 ppm of o2 I feel its better left sealed as elevated o2 is a benefit also. The only thing I can think of is that at a certain level o2 may hinder the plants but have found nothing to support that.

I go in and out of my room and its smaller so maybe thats enough but even if I dont go in for days I see no ill effects.

I'm still in the camp of "no such thing as fresh air" but I can say later in flower or using a co2 burner this changes as ethylene is a plant hormone and will speed ripening. So in the case of a burner I would definitely vent to remove ethylene and potentially carbon monoxide for poor ventilation of the burner. Other than that if using bottled I see no reason.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah I been looking into that since our convo of fresh air. I can't think of another gas the plant benefits from that needs replaced and since for every ppm of co2 taken into the plant during photo synthesis gives roughly 10 ppm of o2 I feel its better left sealed as elevated o2 is a benefit also. The only thing I can think of is that at a certain level o2 may hinder the plants but have found nothing to support that.

I go in and out of my room and its smaller so maybe thats enough but even if I dont go in for days I see no ill effects.

I'm still in the camp of "no such thing as fresh air" but I can say later in flower or using a co2 burner this changes as ethylene is a plant hormone and will speed ripening. So in the case of a burner I would definitely vent to remove ethylene and potentially carbon monoxide for poor ventilation of the burner. Other than that if using bottled I see no reason.

I should have made that distinction. The grows i have seen had burners not tanks. And i think it is the buildup of ethylene that needs exhausting.

I have no personal experience. Just what i have visited.

Anthem

Anthem

Aquaman I am with you on this subject. I do not vent as well, other than the door opening and closing for entrance the room stays sealed up and works fine. I do like the idea of venting maybe at the end of lights on and an air exchange thru a true hepa filter. The only concern would be bugs and spores. The big commercial guys also use equipment to deal with the income pathogens as well from what I have seen.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I should have made that distinction. The grows i have seen had burners not tanks. And i think it is the buildup of ethylene that needs exhausting.

I have no personal experience. Just what i have visited.
Yeah I'm 100% with ya on that. Just wanted to fill in the difference

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Aquaman I am with you on this subject. I do not vent as well, other than the door opening and closing for entrance the room stays sealed up and works fine. I do like the idea of venting maybe at the end of lights on and an air exchange thru a true hepa filter. The only concern would be bugs and spores. The big commercial guys also use equipment to deal with the income pathogens as well from what I have seen.

Fully filtered lung rooms that feed fresh air or co2 to multiple flower rooms.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah and doing so at lights out takes alot of the stress from the humidity spike at lights out when temps drop off the dehumidifier.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

First grow open for comments and pointers.
Currently setting up
10x10 tent
Co2 fed
Doc buds high brix soil grow
56 HLG quantum boards 288rspec
Added far red single diodes
4k LED strips
25gal air pots
24k btu mini split (AC) with dry function
AC Infinity Inlet duct fan with temp humidity control
Self fed ducted humidifier
Ducted dehumidifier

Didn't see the 25 gallon pots until MiMed mentioned it, thats exciting. Is the goal to grow some trees? How many watts of lighting per plant? I disagree with it taking 6 months to fill those pots, especially with co2 enrichment.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Tomatoes,
What kind of PPM do you run for CO2 enrichment?

I have mostly only supplemented small grows with a 5 gallon home brew kit, so the ppm was variable but I still found it accelerated the plants during veg. I worked on a buddy's grow that had a more controlled co2 setup, and he would hit them with 1500 ppm and do very short veg time.

DosMo

DosMo

No fertilizer? Pest control? Training plan? Personal experience growing weed?

How about air circulation, odor scrubbing? Heat management? Are the boards on heat sinks?

Seems like a lot of luck needed to grow in a bagged “supersoil” under way high light intensity in huge pots without massive deficiencies then the danger of pests.

And is there a 6 month veg period planned? Filling 25 gallon pots with roots will take a while.

And the nutrients will likely be depleted before then...

Im in to watch. :-)
Soil perlite and wigglers, doc bud nuts and sprays
Training as in the plant? Yes scrog. I have lots of red to stretch the plant out in the room. Then the 4k strips(adding more blue) come on later in flower for flavor etc.

Air circulation has already been mentioned as well as many fans.

Heat management. Every quantum board is on a HLG heatsink(super efficient never seen them above 100°(lol to the hps), the AC is a mini split(so all the heat is outside the house and ducted to the tent) the dehumidifier is ducted(not in the same room) the humidifier is also ducted(not in the room)

Transpanting from 15gal(veg for root bounding)to 25gal. Length of veg tbd but i figured around 20 weeks ish. Nutrients will be just fine after the transplant.

As far as light intensity. Thats why i have so many. Full coverage (consistent ppfd accross the entire room) running at 70% or less(dimmable)

Everything about this grow has been well planned and well researched

DosMo

DosMo

If running AC, HEAT, DEHUEY with co2 why exchange air? I'm just kinda failing to see the benefit. Maybe once at lights out but I'm not sure what I'm missing
Its called a hybrid room. Something new to try. Check it out

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Soil perlite and wigglers, doc bud nuts and sprays
Training as in the plant? Yes scrog. I have lots of red to stretch the plant out in the room. Then the 4k strips(adding more blue) come on later in flower for flavor etc.

Air circulation has already been mentioned as well as many fans.

Heat management. Every quantum board is on a HLG heatsink(super efficient never seen them above 100°(lol to the hps), the AC is a mini split(so all the heat is outside the house and ducted to the tent) the dehumidifier is ducted(not in the same room) the humidifier is also ducted(not in the room)

Transpanting from 15gal(veg for root bounding)to 25gal. Length of veg tbd but i figured around 20 weeks ish. Nutrients will be just fine after the transplant.

As far as light intensity. Thats why i have so many. Full coverage (consistent ppfd accross the entire room) running at 70% or less(dimmable)

Everything about this grow has been well planned and well researched

Well you have a lot of technical info. I wish you the best grow.

DosMo

DosMo

Didn't see the 25 gallon pots until MiMed mentioned it, thats exciting. Is the goal to grow some trees? How many watts of lighting per plant? I disagree with it taking 6 months to fill those pots, especially with co2 enrichment.
Thats my hope! Trying to maximize the tent to its fullest.
260watts(500w equivalent) per panel 56 panels formed into 2 lights.

I agree definitely less than 6. 20 weeks will root bound a plant without co2

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This one may have been pounded to death already, but I do run bottled CO2 in my tents. Mini Split and Dehumidifier in the tent. Sealed up. Been doing this for years, never had to freshen the air. The only fresh the tents get is what comes in thru the bubbles and when I'm working in my tent.

I have an average of about 800PPM as well outside my tents. I temporarily disable CO2 when I go in to work. More than once I have forgotten to turn the CO2 back on, only to come down the next day to ~100PPM CO2. Don't do that. But at least it does show that the probes work and plants really do use CO2 like they taught us in elementary school!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This one may have been pounded to death already, but I do run bottled CO2 in my tents. Mini Split and Dehumidifier in the tent. Sealed up. Been doing this for years, never had to freshen the air. The only fresh the tents get is what comes in thru the bubbles and when I'm working in my tent.

I have an average of about 800PPM as well outside my tents. I temporarily disable CO2 when I go in to work. More than once I have forgotten to turn the CO2 back on, only to come down the next day to ~100PPM CO2. Don't do that. But at least it does show that the probes work and plants really do use CO2 like they taught us in elementary school!
Sounds like a nice setup bro. Not easy to make a tent work with the added equipment. 👍

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you sir. I'll post to the introduce yourself section tonight and add some pics.
Please tag me in it so I dont miss it... oh and my bad. Welcome to the farm brother. Great to have another member open to debate and discussion in a positive manner. Really helps the community

Top Bottom