Not your typical first grow

• Thread starter DosMo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DosMo

DosMo

This one may have been pounded to death already, but I do run bottled CO2 in my tents. Mini Split and Dehumidifier in the tent. Sealed up. Been doing this for years, never had to freshen the air. The only fresh the tents get is what comes in thru the bubbles and when I'm working in my tent.

I have an average of about 800PPM as well outside my tents. I temporarily disable CO2 when I go in to work. More than once I have forgotten to turn the CO2 back on, only to come down the next day to ~100PPM CO2. Don't do that. But at least it does show that the probes work and plants really do use CO2 like they taught us in elementary school!
Have you ever ran to much co2? I ask because that could of been the reason for lack of smell and flavor i had.(
Also in the trial tent i ran into humidity issues so i was leaning towards anaerobic bacteria. Root rot is caused by it and 1 plant had it. Either way with this set up now by occionally venting i wouldn't ever have that issue.

DosMo

DosMo

This one may have been pounded to death already, but I do run bottled CO2 in my tents. Mini Split and Dehumidifier in the tent. Sealed up. Been doing this for years, never had to freshen the air. The only fresh the tents get is what comes in thru the bubbles and when I'm working in my tent.

I have an average of about 800PPM as well outside my tents. I temporarily disable CO2 when I go in to work. More than once I have forgotten to turn the CO2 back on, only to come down the next day to ~100PPM CO2. Don't do that. But at least it does show that the probes work and plants really do use CO2 like they taught us in elementary school!
The air is for the roots also. They hate CO2 and it's mathematically impossible for the plant to make enough O2 for its own roots.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The air is for the roots also. They hate CO2 and it's mathematically impossible for the plant to make enough O2 for its own roots.
Wrong root don't hate Co2 they like o2 and both are independant, the only negative thing about co2 in the rootzone is it can affect PH

Now partially wrong on the other statement also. Under 18/6 or 24/0 they produce far more oxygen than they consume. The reason you have those findings is because during photosynthesis they produce o2 and consume Co2 during the calvin cycle they do the opposite. Now outdorrs that may be the case but not in our sealed rooms. I believe they produce 10 times more o2 than they consume on average

Last edited:
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Woah you ARE going big. So if I am following along correctly you are doing 2000+ watts per plant of LED. So potentially shooting for 5+ lb plants, like an outdoor full term tree. Considered going even bigger than 25 gallons in that case?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I been looking into that since our convo of fresh air. I can't think of another gas the plant benefits from that needs replaced and since for every ppm of co2 taken into the plant during photo synthesis gives roughly 10 ppm of o2 I feel its better left sealed as elevated o2 is a benefit also. The only thing I can think of is that at a certain level o2 may hinder the plants but have found nothing to support that.

I go in and out of my room and its smaller so maybe thats enough but even if I dont go in for days I see no ill effects.

I'm still in the camp of "no such thing as fresh air" but I can say later in flower or using a co2 burner this changes as ethylene is a plant hormone and will speed ripening. So in the case of a burner I would definitely vent to remove ethylene and potentially carbon monoxide for poor ventilation of the burner. Other than that if using bottled I see no reason.
I need to correct this... o2 produced has nothing to do with co2 taken in. The plant gets o2 from h2o. However it does produce roughly 10 times the o2 as it uses. The o2 given off is a waste product of photosynthesis.

Just wanted to correct my misinfo.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I need to correct this... o2 produced has nothing to do with co2 taken in. The plant gets o2 from h2o. However it does produce roughly 10 times the o2 as it uses. The o2 given off is a waste product of photosynthesis.

Just wanted to correct my misinfo.

The co2 is being taken in for photo synthesis, so it is related.
6CO2 + 6H2O → C6H12O6 + 6O2

The O2 is used for respiration.
C6H12O6 + 6O 2 --> 6 CO 2 + 6 H2O + ATP

The plant will not burn all of its sugars for respiration, because it needs many of them to build cellulose and other structures. So yeah it should give off more oxygen than it uses.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The co2 is being taken in for photo synthesis, so it is related.
6CO2 + 6H2O → C6H12O6 + 6O2

The O2 is used for respiration.
C6H12O6 + 6O 2 --> 6 CO 2 + 6 H2O + ATP

The plant will not burn all of its sugars for respiration, because it needs many of them to build cellulose and other structures. So yeah it should give off more oxygen than it uses.
Yep it does. I guess its a bit of both it needs the co2 with the h2o and the byproduct is o2

DosMo

DosMo

Wrong root don't hate Co2 they like o2 and both are independant, the only negative thing about co2 in the rootzone is it can affect PH

Now partially wrong on the other statement also. Under 18/6 or 24/0 they produce far more oxygen than they consume. The reason you have those findings is because during photosynthesis they produce o2 and consume Co2 during the calvin cycle they do the opposite. Now outdorrs that may be the case but not in our sealed rooms. I believe they produce 10 times more o2 than they consume on average

DosMo

DosMo

The oxygen level would have to maintain the normal limit of 20% to maintain it in the soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Soil oxygen levels are impacted by atmospheric oxygen levels as gas exchange is occurring to reach equilibrium. Plants also give off co2 from the roots during respiration but my point is they are independent one being high does not affect the other.

DosMo

DosMo

Woah you ARE going big. So if I am following along correctly you are doing 2000+ watts per plant of LED. So potentially shooting for 5+ lb plants, like an outdoor full term tree. Considered going even bigger than 25 gallons in that case?
I thought about it but going to try 25 first and see how it goes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My point is in a sealed room you will have high o2 levels which is beneficial to the plant. Because that will also increase o2 levels in the media.

DosMo

DosMo

Hear is an explanation of the hybrid room

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hear is an explanation of the hybrid room
Yes Judaz and i have had many discussions on it when he was still posting

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But also those grows use burners i believe. And ethylene is a killer to plants in small amounts. Leading to senescence and all sorts of things.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I also don't think by any means your on the wrong track. Maybe im misunderstanding the system. I just think if you seal and vent at lights out will be plenty and cut your waste factor down is all.

DosMo

DosMo

Yes Judaz and i have had many discussions on it when he was still posting
Im new to this forum sorry. That was just an easy explanation to what im doing. Some other asked
I also don't think by any means your on the wrong track. Maybe im misunderstanding the system. I just think if you seal and vent at lights out will be plenty and cut your waste factor down is all.
Yes. It wont run continuously. Its timer controlled to run at 4 seperare times per 24hrs

DosMo

DosMo

But also those grows use burners i believe. And ethylene is a killer to plants in small amounts. Leading to senescence and all sorts of things.
Possibly im not sure if that example had burners or not. I agree with the burners def!

Latest posts

Top Bottom