Novice grower, help needed, possible Cal/Mag deficiency

• Thread starter manemoj22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
manemoj22

manemoj22

Novice grower, help needed, possible Cal/Mag defic
As a novice grower, I’ve posted a new thread asking for help with my grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
manemoj22

manemoj22

Thanks for trying to help. Here, this is the original post I made on my previous thread:

Light brown spots started appearing the top leaves on my two plants right around the time I switched to 12/12 light cycle for blooming (plants spent 8 weeks in vegetation stage).

At that time I also switched from tap water to rainwater for watering. I looked around the internet and arrived at the conclusion that the brown spots could indicate a Cal/Mag deficiency. I tested my rainwater's ppm and found out it is very soft (ppm of 25) and the problem affected only the top leaves nearest to light.

I bought some Biobizz CalMag and added it every time I watered the plants. Now they are 5 weeks into the blooming stage and the problem still got worse. Brown spots almost look like rust and tips are flaky and curling up. Top leaves around main bud sites are still the ones most affected.

I am completely lost on what to do. Every time I look at pictures of deficiencies I always arrive at the same conclusion of a Cal/Mag deficiency. I also tested my soils pH with the slurry test to see if the nutes are locked out but the soil's pH is 6.35 so I do not think that is the problem.

I grow indoors under a 200W LED light. I use two monkey fans to keep the air moving. Temperature and humidity are also in check (around 24.5 degrees Celsius and 50-60% rel. humidity). I grow organically in 20 liter fabric pots and use Biobizz All-Mix as soil. As fertilizers I use Biobizz Biogrow, Biobloom, Alg-a-Mic and CalMag and use them according to the Biobizz nutrient schedule. I fertilize once a week and water with added CalMag and Alg-a-Mic two times in between. I also adjust the pH of water and nutrient solution every time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG 20210510 155241
IMG 20210512 155023
IMG 20210512 155041
IMG 20210512 155104
IMG 20210512 155119
IMG 20210512 155217
IMG 20210512 155403
IMG 20210515 114400
growsince79

growsince79

Thanks for trying to help. Here, this is the original post I made on my previous thread:

Light brown spots started appearing the top leaves on my two plants right around the time I switched to 12/12 light cycle for blooming (plants spent 8 weeks in vegetation stage).

At that time I also switched from tap water to rainwater for watering. I looked around the internet and arrived at the conclusion that the brown spots could indicate a Cal/Mag deficiency. I tested my rainwater's ppm and found out it is very soft (ppm of 25) and the problem affected only the top leaves nearest to light.

I bought some Biobizz CalMag and added it every time I watered the plants. Now they are 5 weeks into the blooming stage and the problem still got worse. Brown spots almost look like rust and tips are flaky and curling up. Top leaves around main bud sites are still the ones most affected.

I am completely lost on what to do. Every time I look at pictures of deficiencies I always arrive at the same conclusion of a Cal/Mag deficiency. I also tested my soils pH with the slurry test to see if the nutes are locked out but the soil's pH is 6.35 so I do not think that is the problem.

I grow indoors under a 200W LED light. I use two monkey fans to keep the air moving. Temperature and humidity are also in check (around 24.5 degrees Celsius and 50-60% rel. humidity). I grow organically in 20 liter fabric pots and use Biobizz All-Mix as soil. As fertilizers I use Biobizz Biogrow, Biobloom, Alg-a-Mic and CalMag and use them according to the Biobizz nutrient schedule. I fertilize once a week and water with added CalMag and Alg-a-Mic two times in between. I also adjust the pH of water and nutrient solution every time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Overwatered / root rot.

growsince79

growsince79

Overwatered / root rot.
I always water when the pots are light and top substrate is dry. Plus I use fabric pots. Do you really think that is the problem?
Are you growing in soil? You say you water 5 gal containers 3 times a week. So you are probably either overwatered or underwatered. In soil, each container should take about 1.5 gallons to get runoff each watering. That's 13lb they have to use before you water again. If you don't water to runoff, you get dry pockets which is also bad. How many quarts are you watering each time?

manemoj22

manemoj22

Yes, I grow is soil. I usually water 2.5 liters / 2.64 quarts each watering. This gets me a little runoff but nothing major.

If I don't water for three days the leaves begin to drop.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I have noticed with the fabrics pots that you need to water slower and let it soak in well.
Perhaps try watering more at once but be sure that it is being soaked up and not running out sides.
I water with half then wait 10-15 min, and water with remaining. I have noticed the soil soaks more evenly. And I was watering 2 times a week. At 3-4 quarts each time. 5 gal fabric pots.

manemoj22

manemoj22

That's chronic overwatering. The soil is always too wet. The roots are damaged and the plant can't take up nutes or water because of that.
I really don't understand this. The plants never show any overwatering symptoms. As I said, I never water again if the soil is not dry.

manemoj22

manemoj22

I have noticed with the fabrics pots that you need to water slower and let it soak in well.
Perhaps try watering more at once but be sure that it is being soaked up and not running out sides.
I water with half then wait 10-15 min, and water with remaining. I have noticed the soil soaks more evenly. And I was watering 2 times a week. At 3-4 quarts each time. 5 gal fabric pots.
I actually noticed this myself. When I water, I water at the pace so that the water does not run into the gap between pot and soil. Any runoff comes out at the bottom.

Ph 007

Ph 007

It looks like calmag dificciancys mate, not 100% but quite sure it is,

My tap water is 70ppm in soil I don't need calmag, but in coco I need to take my tap water to 200ppm before adding feed or my leaves look like yours in a few days

Also led room need to be run hotter than hps, you want to run 80 - 82f or they get problems and deffianncays and drink slow as fook

growsince79

growsince79

I really don't understand this. The plants never show any overwatering symptoms. As I said, I never water again if the soil is not dry.
You think its dry, but its not. If it was it would take 6 quarts to get runoff.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Another nice thing with the fabrics is you could always put them in a shallow tray filled with your nute solution. Then let them sit and soak it up until fully watered.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Just seen you said you adding calmag now anyway,, what is your temps? If the not at 80 -82 max then get them up to their

growsince79

growsince79

Yes, I grow is soil. I usually water 2.5 liters / 2.64 quarts each watering. This gets me a little runoff but nothing major.

If I don't water for three days the leaves begin to drop.
Then you definitely have root problems.

manemoj22

manemoj22

Also did this begin with the switch from tap to rainwater?
Rainwater can differ greatly in content. Also depends on where it was collected. I would suggest giving the rainwater a good cal/mag boost.
Yes, It did begin around that time. I have been supplementing the water with Biobizz CalMag for the past four weeks.
Just seen you said you adding calmag now anyway,, what is your temps? If the not at 80 -82 max then get them up to their
Just checked they are at 25.6°C / 78°F.

Top Bottom