Nute Burn & Deficiency?

• Thread starter SpartanHero
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpartanHero

SpartanHero

I’m new to this forum but I clearly am doing something wrong and need any kind of advice or insight into what is wrong with my plants. I added a video to show what’s going on but I’ll explain. I have 4 plants started in Fox Farm Warrior Light soil in little 4 in terra cotta pots (I had them on hand). They are 9 days from sprouting and 14 from seed. They started off pretty good then just seemed to stop growing and the leaves started looking a little yellow and pale so I thought deficiency. So I fed them a little Grow Big on Tuesday. By Thursday I started noticing a little nute burn only on one plant. So I flushed all 4 and the run off was within range. Ppm 271-330, pH 6.3-6.5 (I also checked the run off when I watered them and it was lower than this). Fast forward and they’re worse. I flushed again Friday thinking I did it wrong. I thought one big flush would do it and the levels seemed ok. Oddly enough they seem to be growing faster than before. Tuesday they had no second set of leaves at all. At a complete loss to say the least.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your plants are way too young and small to need any type of fertilizer, plus FoxFarms stuff has a lot of nutes in it originally.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Ya no nutes!! it seemed like plant growth was slow becuase ita gotta make those roots. There is a period at first where plant dont grow as fast, but it is just in the dirt.

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

Ya no nutes!! it seemed like plant growth was slow becuase ita gotta make those roots. There is a period at first where plant dont grow as fast, but it is just in the dirt.
I don’t know what I was thinking, now they are growing but even the new growth is starting to looked burned.

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

Well if it still is showing it's not liking it raise to 24"
I can’t tell if it’s the lights or the burn that’s cause if the problem. The leaves looked to be curling in a little that’s the only reason I raised them but I think they’re just shriveling due to the burn. They pretty much are a little stretched.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Raising light and raising humidity will help them recover it's a less stressful environment. Low rh will accelerate nute uptake.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Raising light and raising humidity will help them recover it's a less stressful environment. Low rh will accelerate nute uptake.
This ^^^

they are light burned. See the tips and leaves flooding upwards.

What lights are you using? Watts etc.?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The Fox Farm stuff is full of nutrients, which can be hard on seedlings, who, like newborn babies, enjoy a light meal instead of a pizza and ribs! When you added the Grow Big, you just made it hotter and less favorable to the roots. Flushing is usuallly the recommended solution, but most pre-fertilized soils and mediums are time release formulas that release nutes via osmotic exchange... water allows them to release their contents. If a lot of water is present, it could make the problem worse.
At the stage that they are in, which is still pretty small, I would consider a transplant if it were my decision. I would recommend using a 50-50 mix of your Fox Farm stuff, but mixed with a neutral medium that has goos drainage. I grow in Promix so I would probably mix it with the FFarm stuff, but coco or similar items might cool it down enough to let things get going a bit better. There will still be plenty of nutrition in a 50-50 FFarms mix for your plants to not need feeding for months.
Regarding the light, Curled up leaves often point to heat and light stress, as @Aqua Man mentioned.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The Fox Farm stuff is full of nutrients, which can be hard on seedlings, who, like newborn babies, enjoy a light meal instead of a pizza and ribs! When you added the Grow Big, you just made it hotter and less favorable to the roots. Flushing is usuallly the recommended solution, but most pre-fertilized soils and mediums are time release formulas that release nutes via osmotic exchange... water allows them to release their contents. If a lot of water is present, it could make the problem worse.
At the stage that they are in, which is still pretty small, I would consider a transplant if it were my decision. I would recommend using a 50-50 mix of your Fox Farm stuff, but mixed with a neutral medium that has goos drainage. I grow in Promix so I would probably mix it with the FFarm stuff, but coco or similar items might cool it down enough to let things get going a bit better. There will still be plenty of nutrition in a 50-50 FFarms mix for your plants to not need feeding for months.
Regarding the light, Curled up leaves often point to heat and light stress, as @Aqua Man mentioned.
Agree no need to feed for some time in that soil. It will also cook the plants.

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

Thanks. I raised the light a little more. How close do you think it should be. The tallest seedling is maybe 2-3 inches. So from that maybe 24-30 inches? And what’s a good humidity level? I keep reading 40-60 is good, 50-80, 40-70. 🤷🏽‍♀️

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

This ^^^

they are light burned. See the tips and leaves flooding upwards.

What lights are you using? Watts etc.?
Crap, a SF1000. I don’t know the exact wattage it’s set at, waiting on my wattage meter but it’s supposed to 100W. Usually people day they come set about 94-97W.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Plants that size. We talking par or lux? No more than 10k lux probably more like 5-7k to let them recover. They are going to stunt and may take several days to see new growth

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

I have on hand Fox Farms Ocean Forest and the Warrior Light. I know the OF is too rich with nutes. I don’t know if a grow store is open now but I might be able to find Happy Frog which is supposed to be the most basic low nute soil. Home Depot or a garden center might have some basic organic regular soil, no idea what would work though. For regular gardening I use Kellogg’s Organic stuff or Miracle Grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom