nutes in hard water??

• Thread starter 666elsie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

666elsie

my friend has hard water out where they live!!softener in the house!! I gave her 3 part GH,my grow guy says to cut the macro back by 20%..is this correct.Seedinglings are going on the program today.

R

Rural_GrowOp

I know that GH makes a micro specifically for hard water. He's probably right as with hard water you have more of the micro nutrients already available in the water. I would start off that way and see how it goes. If you start noticing deficiencies then just adjust accordingly.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Good luck with the water softener. They add alot to the water, and you really have no way of knowing what it's adding. I couldn't grow with my water, hence i had to get an RO unit, UV sterilizer, and heater. I'd suggest starting your feeding off light then gradually go up. Good luck.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Water softeners add either sodium chloride or potassium chloride, depending on which you put in to regenerate softener. In the well water it may have iron too . I suggest they put R/O after softener and use that water. If no iron is present in well I would also use straight well water occationaly mixed with R/O water for cal./mag.

C

cali2

I had a problem with hard water at a spot, just said F'it and got a RO machine. It was not that expensive at all for how much bull I'd have to contend with with hard water.The ppm was 600 out the tap! With the macine its now 40. I paid 200 for the system, thats nothing if you pull down a good harvest, witch is much more likley with good water.Just my 2cents.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
If ya got hard water and your ppm is 70-300+ than this is a must for ya buddy..I had to do it this way until I bought a RO unit..

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.
Veg -
week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600
week 2 10-5-3- 600/800
week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom
week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200
week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400
week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400
week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400
week 5 (discussed in detail below*)
week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400
week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)
* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.
**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0
I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...
There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?
The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.
I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.
Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.
Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

GTD

Top Bottom