(Nutrient burn) 100% ORGANIC GROW

• Thread starter Hillside420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hillside420

Hillside420

Hello fellow gardeners!

Just thought id make a post in regard to my latest grow & hopefully get some advice along the way!

As you can tell from the title ive gone 100% organic
Ive used a 40L 75/25 ratio of organic doltons potting mix & perlite. + organic fertilizer 4-2-2.

Im pretty limited on what i can buy in my country already + with the lockdown from flu this is all i could come up with to get me started.

I started 4 seeds in straight pottingmix/perlite in 4x solo cups and have transplanted into 4x 9L buckets with the pottingmix/perlite + fertiliser.

I have been really impressed with their growth and have had zero issues until now!

I have been worried since the beggining that i used to much fert in my soil mix (it was just after 420 )
And now 4weeks since they first sprouted ive got some minor nutrient burn. Yellow tips and curling down leafs, fan leaves starting to go a darker green.

Ive done alot of research in regard to flushing and thcfarmer has been extremely helpful, how ever it can be abit confusing after house of reading. Especially with the differences in organic growing / synthetics etc.

Ive only watered with bottled natural spring water, ph6.5 and left out for over 24hrs to try evap any nasties.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how i should go about treating this issue?

Do you think i should flush with clean water ph6.5? Or would that just promote the ferts to release more nutrients?

should i just wait it out and hope my girls burn up the excess nutes?

This run is really a learning experiance as i have only grown outdoor for the past 7years, but i would still like to try acheive some yield ofcourse.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I will try post some better photos! These are with the camera flash in the pitch black

Nutrient burn 100 organic grow
Nutrient burn 100 organic grow 2
Nutrient burn 100 organic grow 3
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hello fellow gardeners!

Just thought id make a post in regard to my latest grow & hopefully get some advice along the way!

As you can tell from the title ive gone 100% organic
Ive used a 40L 75/25 ratio of organic doltons potting mix & perlite. + organic fertilizer 4-2-2.

Im pretty limited on what i can buy in my country already + with the lockdown from flu this is all i could come up with to get me started.

I started 4 seeds in straight pottingmix/perlite in 4x solo cups and have transplanted into 4x 9L buckets with the pottingmix/perlite + fertiliser.

I have been really impressed with their growth and have had zero issues until now!

I have been worried since the beggining that i used to much fert in my soil mix (it was just after 420 )
And now 4weeks since they first sprouted ive got some minor nutrient burn. Yellow tips and curling down leafs, fan leaves starting to go a darker green.

Ive done alot of research in regard to flushing and thcfarmer has been extremely helpful, how ever it can be abit confusing after house of reading. Especially with the differences in organic growing / synthetics etc.

Ive only watered with bottled natural spring water, ph6.5 and left out for over 24hrs to try evap any nasties.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how i should go about treating this issue?

Do you think i should flush with clean water ph6.5? Or would that just promote the ferts to release more nutrients?

should i just wait it out and hope my girls burn up the excess nutes?

This run is really a learning experiance as i have only grown outdoor for the past 7years, but i would still like to try acheive some yield ofcourse.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I will try post some better photos! These are with the camera flash in the pitch black
Yes the soil is to hot to much N I would flush with ph buffered water suitable for the medium your in . flush to total runoff then let dry out a bit maybe need to flush 2 times before you start the frets again . Regards OD .

Hillside420

Hillside420

Yes the soil is to hot to much N I would flush with ph buffered water suitable for the medium your in . flush to total runoff then let dry out a bit maybe need to flush 2 times before you start the frets again . Regards OD .

Thanks for the reply mate, abit more reassuring. I read a few articals saying that flushing for nutrient burn in organics is a waste of time, but i think they were referring to the flowering stage..

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thanks for the reply mate, abit more reassuring. I read a few articals saying that flushing for nutrient burn in organics is a waste of time, but i think they were referring to the flowering stage..
Before you use any medium wash it drain it and wash it again it’s better to add when a problem arrives .

Hillside420

Hillside420

I washed the media muiltiple times before using, but i used rain water and didnt check ph(didnt have a ph meter at the time and my tap water has crazy high chlorine.) I wonder if that would have affected the wash?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I washed the media muiltiple times before using, but i used rain water and didnt check ph(didnt have a ph meter at the time and my tap water has crazy high chlorine.) I wonder if that would have affected the wash?
Rain water carry’s lots of goodies and fair few baddies but I think a little tip burn is you wake up call to getting the plant better , are you pots up off the grow space floor if you can creat a 10cm air gap under them they drain better and root area stay warmer .

Last edited:
Hillside420

Hillside420

100% agree, hopefully i can remedy the girls before it gets bad. & i will be running a more optimal soil setup next run. Im thinking i will go with the flush tomorrow at the begginning of their next light cycle. Thats their normal watering day too.

They are in 9L pots so i will flush using the bottled spring water ph6.5.
1L to begin with and wait 20-30minutes before flushing with another 5L or so, would that be enough?

The pots are in drip trays and sitting on the ground, i could deffinately knock something up tomorrow to get them off the ground tho and help with drainage/warth.

Im growing with a 600w hps so warth hasnt been an issue yet even with lights off.

Really appreciate the help so far!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
100% agree, hopefully i can remedy the girls before it gets bad. & i will be running a more optimal soil setup next run. Im thinking i will go with the flush tomorrow at the begginning of their next light cycle. Thats their normal watering day too.

They are in 9L pots so i will flush using the bottled spring water ph6.5.
1L to begin with and wait 20-30minutes before flushing with another 5L or so, would that be enough?

The pots are in drip trays and sitting on the ground, i could deffinately knock something up tomorrow to get them off the ground tho and help with drainage/warth.

Im growing with a 600w hps so warth hasnt been an issue yet even with lights off.

Really appreciate the help so far!
Sounds good but don’t let the pots sit in the drip tray I just let my run off to waste but need to put drip drays under the wire grate have a look at my pics on profile .

Hillside420

Hillside420

Yep i like to waste the run off water too. I definitely need to set something up like what your describing, its a hassel draining trays every water if i get run off.

Do you recommend watering to run off for normal waterings? So far i have been avoiding it. Each plant usually takes .5L every 2-3days.

I cant view your profile btw!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes I water to run off every time , oh can’t view it hey didn’t know do we have to be following each other ok here’s a pic I hope you don’t mind don’t want hijack your thread ,
303E1B2D 0A79 42CB B590 F511872C66CC

2EFED4A8 30E7 4B08 8CE7 E8B5CC256C80
Hillside420

Hillside420

No worries!
Oh i see how you do it! Do you ever have issues with humidity like that? Its pretty high humidity where i live as it is so i try to collect and get rid of the excess to save me running dehumidifier all the time.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
No worries!
Oh i see how you do it! Do you ever have issues with humidity like that? Its pretty high humidity where i live as it is so i try to collect and get rid of the excess to save me running dehumidifier all the time.
just coming out of out summer , autumn period so no but I will get some tray under them tomorrow and see if I can set them up with a drain line to a single drain tank , it’s raining all day tomorrow it will give me something to do .

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Yes I water to run off every time , oh can’t view it hey didn’t know do we have to be following each other ok here’s a pic I hope you don’t mind don’t want hijack your thread , View attachment 965857
How long do you leave that water sitting in your tent? IMO that’s a recipe for pests and high humidity. I remove the run off almost immediately after pots stop dripping, then they usually suck up what’s left on bottom of my fab pots.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
How long do you leave that water sitting in your tent? IMO that’s a recipe for pests and high humidity. I remove the run off almost immediately after pots stop dripping, then they usually suck up what’s left on bottom of my fab pots.
Yes I do mop it up I had only just given them a good drenching took the pic while I waited for them the finish draining looking into building something to carry a drip under them I’ll hit the hardware in morning .

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Yes I do mop it up I had only just given them a good drenching took the pic while I waited for them the finish draining looking into building something to carry a drip under them I’ll hit the hardware in morning .
👍🏻 Def upload pics after you build please, I’d like to see it for future reference! Happy grows.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Plants look fine. If they don't get worse i would just go with it. The yellowing doesnt really look like yellowing. New growth will always come in a lighter green. A little tip burn isnt the end of the world unless it starts progressing. You will prob do more harm then good flushing water through it or trying to correct it. There isnt much you can do once the soil is mixed up unless you plan on unpotting the plant and replanting it. That can cause problems on it's own.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
One thing I wanted to add is adding bio char will lock up some N. That can be a solution if that is what you are worried about.

Hillside420

Hillside420

Plants look fine. If they don't get worse i would just go with it. The yellowing doesnt really look like yellowing. New growth will always come in a lighter green. A little tip burn isnt the end of the world unless it starts progressing. You will prob do more harm then good flushing water through it or trying to correct it. There isnt much you can do once the soil is mixed up unless you plan on unpotting the plant and replanting it. That can cause problems on it's own.

Thanks for the reply mate! And i agree.
After alot more research about living irganic soil i realise im missing the compost/worm castings for my microbes..

So ive collected some microbe rich material from old rotting trees and mixed it with some living organic compost & the dirt from a worm from. Compost bin and worm farm are both home made in my fathers garden.

I plan on taking off the top 1inch of media from my pots and adding avout 2.5inch of the compost/worm dirt/rotten tree mix. Mixing it into the media and trying not to disurb the girls roots too much.

Hopefully this will help with my levels of microbes and help save my soil for this run..

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thanks for the reply mate! And i agree.
After alot more research about living irganic soil i realise im missing the compost/worm castings for my microbes..

So ive collected some microbe rich material from old rotting trees and mixed it with some living organic compost & the dirt from a worm from. Compost bin and worm farm are both home made in my fathers garden.

I plan on taking off the top 1inch of media from my pots and adding avout 2.5inch of the compost/worm dirt/rotten tree mix. Mixing it into the media and trying not to disurb the girls roots too much.

Hopefully this will help with my levels of microbes and help save my soil for this run..
All you have to do is make a tea from leaching water over worm castings add the diluted liquid tea 10 >1 the amount of beneficial microbes delivered this way is the most effective way without disturbing your plants , I would shy away form making a top dressing from the materials you have outlined , worm castings are very fine and when wet turn muddy and will hamper your drainage most of all .

Top Bottom