Nutrient burn questions

• Thread starter drinkingcoffeeinmaine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drinkingcoffeeinmaine

drinkingcoffeeinmaine

Hi,
This is my first time with an inside garden, and I have some nutrient burn concerns. I wonder if my soil has been hot throughout the grow, or if it's a water issue as the soil does not dry out. I used Coast of Maine Growers mix as medium and amended it with some down to earth amendments (lite mix of Bio-live, blood meal, bat guano, and alfa meal), and tiny bit of compost. Been watering with ph'd water. There has been some sporadic clawing, and some singed tips all through the grow. I just switched to 12/12 and wanted to supply some fishbone meal. However, I just fed it some of the fox farm big bloom nutrients of worm casting and bat guano and tips are a little more singed.
Was thinking of flushing with solution, but think this may be bad idea.
Any help is much appreciated

also curious bout use of spinosad and trifecta inside. I used it to address thrips, but worry about mites and like the trifecta as preventive spray

Nutrient burn questions
Nutrient burn questions 2
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Looks green. Lay back on the amount of nutes you use. Use half of what it says if nute burn is a concern.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hi,
This is my first time with an inside garden, and I have some nutrient burn concerns. I wonder if my soil has been hot throughout the grow, or if it's a water issue as the soil does not dry out. I used Coast of Maine Growers mix as medium and amended it with some down to earth amendments (lite mix of Bio-live, blood meal, bat guano, and alfa meal), and tiny bit of compost. Been watering with ph'd water. There has been some sporadic clawing, and some singed tips all through the grow. I just switched to 12/12 and wanted to supply some fishbone meal. However, I just fed it some of the fox farm big bloom nutrients of worm casting and bat guano and tips are a little more singed.
Was thinking of flushing with solution, but think this may be bad idea.
Any help is much appreciated

also curious bout use of spinosad and trifecta inside. I used it to address thrips, but worry about mites and like the trifecta as preventive spray
first of all
welcome to the farm!
and i love your name, haha.
can you post more of the plant etc pictures

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
for the most part everything looks fine other than your pretty crammed in there and than flowering?
if anything and it seems minor at least on one? i think is you may of watered too early once or twice recently?
but your good.,
good job!

drinkingcoffeeinmaine

drinkingcoffeeinmaine

for the most part everything looks fine other than your pretty crammed in there and than flowering?
if anything and it seems minor at least on one? i think is you may of watered too early once or twice recently?
but your good.,
good job!
Thanks. I just thinned them out before I switched the lights, but wondering if I should take one of the plants out to make more room.
Knowing when to be watering seems to be a challenge for me, and I don't think I will use this soil mix again, at least inside, as it does not dry out.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
"Coast of Maine Organic Products Stonington Blend Grower’s Mix is a complex “super soil” designed for high performance container growing. It works well with tomatoes, and, where growing cannabis and medical marijuana is legal, growers have reported tremendous results. This soil incorporates mycorrhizal fungi, kelp, fish bone and alfalfa meal, as well as worm castings, peat, coir and lobster compost. When growing in 15 gallon containers, there is no need for additional nutrients."

you picked a super soil, then you added lots of rich stuff to it, then you feed the plants some totally different stuff....

btw, it uses dolomithic limestone to balance the ph so dont use any of the ph up or down it will really mess with things.

soil is seldom a "more stuff in it is better" situation. it is about balance, you took a balance and added stuff.

no amount of "flushing" will do anything to remove the stuff in the soil.

Last edited:
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
lift the pot, only water when it is very light. if it is not drying out, dont water it. the comments and reviews say that it is a dark color soil and that it often is dry but looks wet due to its color. but weight is the key, if it is not light dont water. mine never need water at the same time!

very important to only water when it is in need of water

drinkingcoffeeinmaine

drinkingcoffeeinmaine

"Coast of Maine Organic Products Stonington Blend Grower’s Mix is a complex “super soil” designed for high performance container growing. It works well with tomatoes, and, where growing cannabis and medical marijuana is legal, growers have reported tremendous results. This soil incorporates mycorrhizal fungi, kelp, fish bone and alfalfa meal, as well as worm castings, peat, coir and lobster compost. When growing in 15 gallon containers, there is no need for additional nutrients."

you picked a super soil, then you added lots of rich stuff to it, then you feed the plants some totally different stuff....

btw, it uses dolomithic limestone to balance the ph so dont use any of the ph up or down it will really mess with things.

soil is seldom a "more stuff in it is better" situation. it is about balance, you took a balance and added stuff.

no amount of "flushing" will do anything to remove the stuff in the soil.
Thanks, I figured I got a little bit hasty with adding amendments. I figured that adjusting water ph was ideal with the ph up and down as my water here is very basic, but are you are saying the dolomithic limestone can take care of that?
I only used the bloom twice, and will not use that again, for sure...
Is there a way to bring balance back to the soil?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Plants look great. If you need better drainage on the next run, add perlite.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
the plants look good. i would just chalk it up to knowledge gained.

yes, the soil will balance your ph.

just get the watering down and it will work out ok. you say they never dry out, and if that is the real case, then dont water. they would dry out if you give them a chance. and i doubt every plant needs water the same day. just try picking up (not really pick up, but test the weight of the pot) the pot, and dont water till it is light weight. when it is light enough you should notice your girls asking for water. dont give them water till they ask.

just watch the plants, they will tell you when to do what.

the idea behind the soil you picked is that it has everything your plant needs and your plant gets to pick when and how much it wants. if your plant looks like it is lacking in some nutrient, then you doctor the soil not add stuff for the plant to use directly. most of the time you can put some of the hot soil in the top and work it in a bit then water and that fixes it up.

another note, if you see signs of things wrong with your plants and you are in this soil, your issue is most likely not nutrients. it is more often watering and/or lights.

flushing this soil is not a great idea at all.

your soil has a life of its own. the stuff in the soil feeds off stuff from the roots and the roots are taking up what the stuff in the soil puts out. then you randomly added more stuff and now it is whonkadoodle. if you have a kid and you get a meal for them but they decide to alter your well balanced meal with some candy and ice cream and then they look sick... you dont say well that food i made is junk. it is all the stuff someone added to your perfect mix of nutrients that caused the ill affects. same here. the stuff you added might be the best stuff ever, the best in the whole world... but it doesnt necessarily improve the balance or process at all, and often has detrimental outcomes.

Top Bottom