Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch? Excess salt?

• Thread starter billoddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

billoddy

Hi guys

Any advice would be welcome.

20% of an outdoor crop are showing strange leaf symptoms

the soil mix is organic potting mix, perlite and worm castings. Top dressed with sea weed from a beach which was rinsed for about a minute. There's been a fair bit of rain recently and the pots are large approx 140 litres. They've been fed twice with guano, nothing other than this. Other plants also are going a lacklustre light green color. New growth in some others without the severe rust spots and discolouring also has some twisting etc

Despite the rain it's still been bright as it's Australian summer. Temperatures been good not too hot or too cold. Soil is bit too wet I'd say but some dry weather on its way for a week so they'll get a chance to dry a bit

soil pH test kit seems to say pH is between 6 and 7 but I'll attach a pic of this too

my thoughts are should I remove Seaweed? Is it perhaps causing excess salt and then nutrient lockout?

do they look hungry? I imagine not too much as they've only been in new containers for 3 weeks approx and the containers have 20% worm castings?

There are no slow release nutrients in the potting mix I was told. The girls started well when taken outdoors about 3 weeks ago but the yellowing of new growth began about a q week after

really grateful for any ideas

remove Seaweed mulch on top ? Add feed? Flush? Let them dry out?

Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 2
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 3
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 4
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 5
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 6
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 7
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 8
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 9
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 10
Nutrient lockout due to seaweed mulch excess salt 11
Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm going to guess it's sodium from the seaweed. Definitely get rid of it.

Top Bottom