Nutrient Lockout- Flushing pH and ppm

• Thread starter Growku
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growku

Growku

Hey all, new to the site. I've searched for days, and can't find a specific answer to a question I have.

Exactly what should the pH and ppm be of flushing water if you're dealing with Nutrient Lockout and high soil pH?

I recently decided to try and flush my soil which the runoff measured at pH 7.3 and over 2000ppm.

I've been using ultra pure 5ppm water, and bringing the pH to about 6.0. I haven't made much progress after 10-15 gallons of flushing.

I noticed that distilled water drops to 6.0 after half a mL of Apple Cider vinegar, and my 300ppm 7.3 water takes up to 12 mL to get to 6.0. I'm thinking that the 300ppm has more capacity to bring down the soil pH because of all of the extra negative ions due to the 300ppm. The distilled has nothing in it so any acid drops the pH like a rock, but pH is just a ratio of negative to positive rather than a straight number of negative ions, so I figured the 6.0 300ppm would drop the soil pH more effectively.

Any advice? My questions basically are:

-Do I use 7.0 or a pH'ed 6.0 water for flushing the nutrient salts out?

-What would work best to organically drop the soil pH? pH'ed Distilled/RO water or 300-400ppm pH'ed water? Either way, what should I put the pH to?

-Is there a method that would get both jobs done coincidentally?

I have 2 10 gallon fabric pots and one 7 gallon. 2 G13's in Veg and a Northern Lights/Blueberry Auto running 19/5 lighting. All running basically the same super soil mixes I made, but clearly I ended up adding too many nutrients after the fact or even beforehand.

Any and all info is appreciated! Thanks!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Flush with ph 5.8-6.0 water.
May take a few days of doing it over and over till the run off ph is stable.
Once the ph issue has subsided we can then look at ppm.
My experience has been that as soon as the ph stabilizes thr ppm comes down too. May take a few depending on how over fed they were. In veg I’m not too concerned as I’ll just stop feeding and water only and thr plant growth will use up thr excess.
In flower is where the concern would be if the ppms continue to stay high. Then the root zone rot, lockout becomes a major issue. Any pics on plants?
Also since u are doing a ultra pure flush, cal mag may become a necessity to add back in .
I routinely get ppms on runoff in healthy plants at the 5-700 range, I know enough that the soil I have will deplete as I barely feed due to the soil being nutritious. But I do watch my ph. Lower is key, slightly acidic keeps macro nutes in play.

Growku

Growku

Flush with ph 5.8-6.0 water.
May take a few days of doing it over and over till the run off ph is stable.
Once the ph issue has subsided we can then look at ppm.
My experience has been that as soon as the ph stabilizes thr ppm comes down too. May take a few depending on how over fed they were. In veg I’m not too concerned as I’ll just stop feeding and water only and thr plant growth will use up thr excess.
In flower is where the concern would be if the ppms continue to stay high. Then the root zone rot, lockout becomes a major issue. Any pics on plants?
Also since u are doing a ultra pure flush, cal mag may become a necessity to add back in .
I routinely get ppms on runoff in healthy plants at the 5-700 range, I know enough that the soil I have will deplete as I barely feed due to the soil being nutritious. But I do watch my ph. Lower is key, slightly acidic keeps macro nutes in play.

Sorry for the delay; I've been frantically and persistently following your advice.

Over the last few days, I've probably used a minimum of 50 gallons of water to flush. I got two out of 3 ppms to 700, however my pH is still way to high. The lowest is 7.5, even though my flush water has been an average of 5.5.

I started using hose water that is hard and unsoftened to keep some calcium, magnesium, iron, etc in it and pH'd it to try and lower the ph while not stripping them of micronutes. After 20 gallons I ran out of apple cider vinegar and went back to R/O water.

I included some pics. G13-A is the one with the red petioles and stem turning red. I'm thinking that's either a P or K deficiency, and it's stretching alot.
0819201539a

G13-B is the shorter bushier one, and what's weird it they have the same soil, and B used to be the faster growing one. I think it may have the same deficiencies, but instead of growing through the deficiency and turn red, it just really slowed down. The pH on that one was almost 8 when I started the last flush. Now it's about 7.7.

The much skinnier one is my Northern Lights x Blueberry Auto, and it's in early flowering. I got the pH down to like 7.4 and ppm about 700. It seems okay, but still red petioles.
0819200705c

My super soil was organic garden soil, worm castings, bat guano, vermiculite, alot of perlite, some peat moss, greensand, and dolomite lime. I don't understand why the pH is so freaking high.

Also, before I was using a spike style on meter, and I just got a calibrated digital one which is giving me the much higher on readings.

0819200705a
0819200705b
Top Bottom