Nutrients burn or ph imbalance. Brown spots

• Thread starter hydro8139
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hydro8139

hydro8139

Okay still learning ive changed my whole set up to perfect it from all of your recommendations and want to say thanks for the help. First set of clones going to veg these are new maybe 1-1.5 wks in veg tub 6" tall or so... I noticed the edges and brown spots. I think its oh imbalance I'm learning that I meed to let it sit a few hrs to half a day on a new batch of water change out to adjust ph... Anyways it tool me a few days to get ph to stay around 5.6-5.9 which os where its at now.. Ppm is around 650-700 starts at 150 from RO. but cloning water is around 500 so I don't see it being nutrients burn however it could be? Since I installed the RO system i have been using calmag 2-3 ml per gal...
Nutrients burn or ph imbalance brown spots

Nugg

Nugg

Hmm..looks suspicious...think I'd look at couple things...ro water at 150ppm..wow seems way high to me for ro.my well water is 165ppm..ppm.of what? That's a good question.. people say ppm.all the time..lol..so..ppm.of what?.. do you have.... might just be me but 660-700 ppm of something..is to high to me..I run around a total of 300-400...you could be locking out nutes..my guess....but everyone is different and under different environments...you just need to start low and work up on things..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Looking at the plants in the back... the fan leaves appear to be yellowing/streaking and probably indicates an issue with an imbalane/lockout. I'm not a hydro guy, so I don't know what the PPMs should be. I grow soil less but use a minimum of nutes. They don't really look nute burned since new growth is usually deformed, so an imbalance comes to mind. Hopefully a hydro grower will chime in.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ppm is too high for plants that size. Especially if you have low RH and warmish temps. Ideally I like to keep small plants at 350-500ppm max, using RO with 0ppm, 150ppm calmag, and 250-350 base nutrient. That's on the 500 scale on the ppm meter, equates to about 0.7-1.0 ec. And I use silica for ph up. too much ph up and down solution isnt good.

Why is your RO 150ppm? That's not right. It should be close to zero.

Last edited:
hydro8139

hydro8139

Ppm is too high for plants that size. Especially if you have low RH and warmish temps. Ideally I like to keep small plants at 350-500ppm max, using RO with 0ppm, 150ppm calmag, and 250-350 base nutrient. That's on the 500 scale on the ppm meter, equates to about 0.7-1.0 ec. And I use silica for ph up. too much ph up and down solution isnt good.

Just re checked it and it's showing 86? Maybe my meter is off. I know I only ised about 1/4 strength suggested nutes

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Just re checked it and it's showing 86? Maybe my meter is off. I know I only ised about 1/4 strength suggested nutes

That sounds more accurate, especially if you're treating fairly hard water to start. Very rarely does it ever creep up anywhere near 100ppm, let alone over that. At least not that I've seen.

Starting there I'd add 100ppm Calmag and around 250ppm nutes and go from there. And again go easy on the ph up and down.

hydro8139

hydro8139

Well i found 2 spare meters i have they all read the same but I will say my original ppm to house is close to 300 without RO
That sounds more accurate, especially if you're treating fairly hard water to start. Very rarely does it ever creep up anywhere near 100ppm, let alone over that. At least not that I've seen.

Starting there I'd add 100ppm Calmag and around 250ppm nutes and go from there. And again go easy on the ph up and down.
Thank you

Top Bottom