Oakland, California passes landmark marijuana tax

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Oakland voters pass pot tax to boost city coffers

By LISA LEFF (AP) – 5 hours ago

OAKLAND, Calif. — Oakland residents overwhelmingly voted Tuesday to approve a first-of-its kind tax on medical marijuana sold at the city's four cannabis dispensaries.

Preliminary election results showed the measure passing with 80 percent of the vote, according to the Alameda County Registrar of Voters.

The dispensary tax was one of four measures in a vote-by-mail special election aimed at raising money for the cash-strapped city. All four measures won, but Measure F had the highest level of support.

Scheduled to take effect on New Year's Day, the measure created a special business tax rate for the pot clubs, which now pay the same $1.20 for every $1,000 in gross sales applied to all retail businesses. The new rate will be $18.

Oakland's auditor estimates that based on annual sales of $17.5 million for the four clubs, it will generate an estimated $294,000 for city coffers in its first year.

Pot club owners, who openly sell pot over the counter under the 1996 state ballot measure that legalized medical marijuana use in California, proposed Measure F as a way to further legitimize their establishments.

"It's good business and good for the community," said Richard Lee, who owns the Coffee Shop SR-71 dispensary and Oaksterdam University, a trade school for budding dispensary workers.

The measure had no formal opposition; in November 2004, a ballot initiative that required Oakland police to make arresting adults using marijuana for personal use their lowest priority passed with 63 percent of the vote.

Support for Measure F was expected to be just as strong. As a result and given the mail-in nature of the election, there was little campaign activity, according to Lee.

"We put out signs, but outside of that it's been pretty low-key," said Lee, who hosted a victory party at Oaksterdam University's Student Union building in downtown Oakland.

Although California's 800 or so pot clubs also are expected to pay state sales tax, Oakland is the first city in the country to create a special tax on marijuana sales.

Advocates of legalizing pot for recreational use hope to use Oakland's experience with Measure F to persuade California voters next year to approve a measure that would legalize and regulate marijuana like alcohol.

K

KushMaster707

Again another positive aspect for legalizing marijuana nationwide. Let the people medicate or recreate and give back to the government so we can waste less and gain more. The reality of it all is that we have already taken many losses and the tax dollars we pay to bring justice to real criminals comes back and bites us in the ass; Only because we generate a substantial cash flow and medical advance's for our communities? Another excellent way of saying that cannabis is beneficial to society and another real step to how we can retail in a legal manor.

Thanks for the info Cali always appreciated.

R

redog

I saw this on Yahoo this morning and in the article was a link to a TWTPoll.I think it is a Twitter poll.I haven't been able to get to the link.Maybe it's being overwhelmed right now.I'm going to voice my opinion when I can get there and I hope everyone here does also.

O

Obsoul33t

how can taxing something that grows freely and naturally be a good thing

i see this as a step in the wrong direction

F

FastForward

Notionally I totally agree with you Obs....but practically it means the politicians are starting to see the real financial value in marijuana - and that means there's a far greater chance of wider scale acceptance and taxation.

I'd be delighted to pay for a growers license - if everyone bought a $500 growers license each year, the government would be loaded, the criminals would have a lot less money and everyone would be happier.

So yes, it's a bit of one step back, two steps forward imho.....

I

IGROWMYOWN

I would stand in line to pay $500 dollars for a growers license. If oakland hills housing didnt cost an arm and a leg i'd already be growing there.

T

Time

Let us not forget that many of the people who are pushing for this tax are dealers who want to run 'coffee shops' (hoping to create 'Oaksterdam') and their idiot stoner customers who think paying more than $50.00 for an ounce of green is acceptable. The effort to pass these laws is funded by peeps who want to cash in off of us.

As a CA med patient myself I can honestly say that the overwhelming majority of peeps I see in the clubs these days are not even med-users. More often than not it's the 30-40 something year old working class crowd that does not have any 'hook-ups' so, they have to buy from the clubs.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few real-deal medical MJ providers around but, most are just dealers.... and now they want to tax our sacred herb so that 'they' can move in and cash out.

Not without a fight.

L

Lost

their idiot stoner customers who think paying more than $50.00 for an ounce of green is acceptable.

If you think 50 bucks an ounce is what it should cost then you have never ever grown quality marijuana... Just the elec alone is more than that....

My $.02

K

keyplay

Let us not forget that many of the people who are pushing for this tax are dealers who want to run 'coffee shops' (hoping to create 'Oaksterdam') and their idiot stoner customers who think paying more than $50.00 for an ounce of green is acceptable. The effort to pass these laws is funded by peeps who want to cash in off of us.

As a CA med patient myself I can honestly say that the overwhelming majority of peeps I see in the clubs these days are not even med-users. More often than not it's the 30-40 something year old working class crowd that does not have any 'hook-ups' so, they have to buy from the clubs.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few real-deal medical MJ providers around but, most are just dealers.... and now they want to tax our sacred herb so that 'they' can move in and cash out.

Not without a fight.

What the hell are you talking about ? The tax initiative was a proposal by the clubs. The clubs have all kinds of business-more than they can handle.
What is a dealer in Oakland? A cornerboy or person without a card? A delivery service?

R

ReelBusy1

liqueur sales are taxed.
But you can still brew beer or wine at home.
It needs to work like that somehow...
The model for both the failure of prohibition and the successful business model for controlled substances lies in the booze biz.
Just follow the model.

T

Train 2 Bangkok

I'd much rather have it taxed and legal than untaxed and illegal. Paying a tax to avoid the possibility of prosecution is well worth it.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
liqueur sales are taxed.
But you can still brew beer or wine at home.
It needs to work like that somehow...
The model for both the failure of prohibition and the successful business model for controlled substances lies in the booze biz.
Just follow the model.

But you can not sell the beer or wine or even transport it or you are breaking the law..and it is alot cheaper to buy a 6 pack than try and make it..

The model to end prohabition is tax, tax, and more tax and you only have to look at tobacco and alcohol to see that is the model...what is it now, almost half the cost of cigerrettes is tax and for the real obscenity look at gas..it is over the top tax crazed..or try and buy a fifth of Jack from a liquer distributor and you will realize real quick about how they tax shit..$80-$100 bottles of stuff you get for $20 bucks at the liquer store and then there is the tax per drink and you can scew that with the price you actually sell the drinks for and then there are shot specials...lol..it really gets alot crazier than you think.

They only lift prohibition when the government system is in place to collect to "sin" tax from ya and not before.

Ultimately it is all about the money and everyone whats their cut..

4 clubs doing $17.5 million between them, WOW, trust me, the government is goin to get their cut one way or another

Tex

R

rockfish

wow i like it. but thats not a whole lot of money anymore. doesnt seem like $250,000 would really help a whole city much. but if they leave em alone its worth paying in.

A

Attis

I used to feel the same way, but the dispensaries in Oakland have all agreed to take the hit and not pass it on to the patients. Meaning that the patients won't be effected directly. It's just another step in gaining support from "non medicaters" If you grow your own, then the tax means nothing to you. It basically charges the vendors and distributes $18 for every $1000. If you consider the fact that this will lessen the pressure from law enforcement, even if it is only slightly, then the $18 per $1000 is well spent IMHO.

As for free to grow why tax? Every time someone buys a bag on the streets, they are paying a tax... only it's to the dealer who is taxing you on his "risk". That money doesn't go into any coffers and certainly doesn't help the community in any way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the hustle, I'm just pointing out a fact that seems to get overlooked.

I for one am for LEGALIZATION, even if it means taxation and regulation. Just let me grow my flowers and leave me be and I'm happy.

That being said, stay tuned for initiative 2010... You'll be hearing bout it very soon, if not already. I'll let everyone know how they can get involved to help get it passed.

Oh, and a lil side note. It isn't everything we ever dreamed about, but it is very realistic as to what will be acceptable by "non users" standards ie. soccer moms, and the likes, and actually has a real chance of passing. Plus it is being pushed by two "real" leaders in the movement not some politician trying to push his own agenda. Not to mention, it doesn't effect the MMJ patients.

A

Attis

Not without a fight.

I think you are missing the point. The clubs are "offering" to pay a tax in order to 1) help thier community and 2) gain more support from the non-supporter
Oaksterdam was built in a slum of an area and look how well that area has been revitalized. If you are against that, then either you really are misinformed or very paranoid and think everything is a conspiracy that is out to get the people. LOL I have to admit, I tend to think that way at times.

In 2-3 yrs, you will see the method to their madness.

C

cannababy420

they can taz me all they want as long as it assures i'm not going to jail... and if you can grow an oz for 50 bucks then what are we all doing?

Top Bottom