Oakland medical marijuana workers vote to unionize

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Oakland medical marijuana workers vote to unionize
Medical cannabis employees opt for representation as state's legalization vote nears
By Kelly Rayburn
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 05/28/2010 04:30:11 PM PDT
Updated: 05/29/2010 08:44:03 AM PDT

Almost 100 workers in Oakland's medical marijuana industry have voted to be represented by organized labor, a first-of-its-kind event for an industry trying to build public support.

Marijuana advocates joined leaders of the United Food and Commercial Workers union in making the announcement Friday. Californians are split over a November ballot measure that would legalize use of marijuana by adults 21 and older, but proponents of the initiative hoped labor can now give them a boost.

"I think it's another historic step toward ending cannabis prohibition," said Richard Lee, founder and president of Oaksterdam University and a proponent of the Tax Cannabis 2010 initiative.

The federal government outlaws marijuana, including for medicinal uses. But Ron Lind, the president of the 26,000-member UFCW Local 5, based in San Jose, said he sees the "potential for thousands" of workers in California's medical marijuana industry to be represented by the union — and the potential for even more to join the union if the state initiative is approved.

Lind said Local 5 will support the initiative not only because of its workers in Oakland, but also as a way to generate more tax dollars to help save public service jobs.

"We have to come up with more revenue," he said. "So here's an excellent way to do it — to regulate the industry, to legalize it and then tax it. It's a no-brainer."

The union will represent workers at
Advertisement
Oaksterdam University, the Patient ID Center, the Blue Sky Coffee Shop, the Bulldog Café, the Oaksterdam Gift Shop and AMCD Inc., also called Old Oaksterdam, the union said.

The Tax Cannabis 2010 initiative would allow people who are at least 21 years old to possess, grow and transport marijuana for personal use, and would let cities and counties decide whether to regulate and tax commercial production and sales. It would increase the criminal penalty for providing marijuana to a minor and prohibit consumption in public or while minors are present.

It has drawn the opposition of law enforcement organizations and Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Tim Rosales, a spokesman for Public Safety First, a group formed to defeat the measure, said he doesn't see the union's involvement with medical cannabis workers as a game changer.

"I don't think this changes the dynamic that this is a very controversial issue," he said. "It certainly doesn't change the fact that this is a seriously flawed initiative."

A recent poll by the Public Policy Institute of California showed 49 percent oppose legalization while 48 percent support it. The poll had a 2 percentage point margin of error.

Whatever the impact on the initiative, the unionization of medical marijuana workers in Oakland boosts the city's reputation as an industry leader. Oakland became the country's first city in 2009 to adopt a voter-approved special tax on cannabis dispensaries. The city's four licensed dispensaries are expected to pay about $500,000 to city coffers this year.

Oakland is also moving toward regulating commercial growing operations. Councilmembers Rebecca Kaplan and Larry Reid are expected next month to introduce legislation that would provide grow permits to three or four large-scale cultivators. The idea behind the legislation is to cut down on the dangers that often come with unregulated and unlicensed grow operations.

Kaplan was also involved in bringing the labor union together with the medical marijuana community.

"We are a city that cares about jobs, that cares about economic opportunity and that cares about worker rights," she said Friday. "This opportunity today for the unionization of a new industry makes it possible for us to build good jobs with worker rights and responsibility."

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
hmmm not sure what to think of this just yet. I just hope that if it does pass that people won't F**k it up for all of us!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh if it passes it aready will be F*ck up for all of us!

C

CAPO

Here's the raw truth........fuck it these people are up to no good...this time I will not be moved.:mad0229:

per article:

"Oakland is also moving toward regulating commercial growing operations. Councilmembers Rebecca Kaplan and Larry Reid are expected next month to introduce legislation that would provide grow permits to three or four large-scale cultivators. The idea behind the legislation is to cut down on the dangers that often come with unregulated and unlicensed grow operations."

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Are any of the big activist groups like NORML telling Lee that he isn't doing this the right way? I mean if I were to open a canna business legitimately in Cali I would ensure that all the employees are on MY page. I wouldn't let anyone that is in it for the money work there period. People are so selfish sometimes, and it pisses me off that they hide behind the ailments of patients like me that actually need the medicine. No offense recreational users I love you all! Everyone should be aloud to experience the fruits of the Cannabis plant without the BS. Well I'm gonna crawl back into my cave now lol

T

Thundurkel

I for one am voting NO! Richard Lee is a dbag and wants to regulate the shit so only him and his friends are making money in Oakland. You can see the greed in his eyes when he talks about how much he pays in taxes on Marijuana Inc... I think it should stay medical so the average joe with spare room in his house can grow great meds for patients and live comfy. Not drive a BMW and look all flashy with jewels just be able to pay his or her bills and have a lil money to buy things they like and deserve IMO. I was talkin with a hydro shop owner about this not too long ago and he thinks if it passes it's the lil 1 and 2 light growers that will survive and not the big guys with 8-20 light grows. Reason being is EVERYONE will be growing there own and it will be all about clones,seeds and top shelf buds that growers will sell to each other that are Cannasuers while the masses flock to the cheaply grown warehouse bud...

whitelion

whitelion

Let It Grow! Free The Weed! Its about truth not money! And the truth is I can do what I want with a overall harmless plant!

sog1313

sog1313

this is a really interesting development. a lot of people don't like unions because of the stigma of corruption and greed. if the growers get in bed with unions it might backfire. unless we create our own union? MMJ Growers Local 1 anybody? Anyway that was just a thought.

What I am really interested in is how this bill will affect people who want to grow their own meds or recreation like me. If MJ is legalized for all uses do I still have to jump through hoops of fire to be able to grow a few plants for myself and my girl? And remember for everyone out there worrying that this is gonna go hugely commercial: we are a community of people who started off by trading seeds and clones in the underground and learning to grow in secret. Would you buy weed from the WalMart of dispensaries just because they offer it cheap? HELL NO. Remember folks WE are the customers at those shops and we still have the collective power of the consumer market behind us. Its like when we were kids buying baggies, know who your friends are and dont buy from strangers just because they are offering you a "sweet deal."

anyway my two cents, I hope something good comes out of this bill one way or another. I wanna live in a Free Green Cali one day...

S

slimjoint

Start with the counterclaims, show them marijuana is a gateway drug and if this law passes the future of this country will have a negative outcome. we wont give the children of today a chance to succeed.
fuck oaksterdam,they really think theyre fooling everyone.

m21fire

m21fire

FUCK RICHARD "CRIPPLE" LEE!!!!!VOTE NO IN NOV. AND SAVE THE LITTLE GUY PLEASE PEOPLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND!

ps. you would be pissed off and greedy if you were in a wheel chair .. Greedy bastard is probably addicted to hookers or he might not even be able to get it up who knows but fuck him.

G

Gro

well said GofD,a NO vote is a good vote in this case.i do not trust RL's either.and i'm sorry sog 1313....if this passes, the market will be flooded with tons of customers new to mj.many if not most will buy the cheap stuff from the corporate monster.come on.......WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!:indifferent0023:

as for wallmart,i know it sucks,you know it sucks but wtf they are still the no1 retailer in the U.S.people need to realize corporations and special interests can and will eventually gain complete control of the marijuana market thru this bill.:cash:cash:cash

D

doctorgoose

i read the bill, it seems his goal is to impose restrictions and sanctions on the small grower and consumer, but leave all commercial regulation up to negotiations behind closed doors with local politicians. :wondering

G

ghostfacegrower

Garden Of Dreams, i love it. rant brother rant, fuck RL and his agenda. I actually get to talk to RL and ask him straight up are you trying to take out the small growers ? He answered with a firm no, he says quote " im trying to make it so you dont get tied up and have a gun shoved in your face " umm ok. He told me that if your a med patient after nov. you still get to grow the same amount, keep your collectives yada yada yada yada. I also had the pleasure of seeing him roll around downtown oakland "showing off" x new mexico gov. this guy is getting his politcal ducks in a row for a take over. After i talk to him, i have to say I DO NOT BELEIVE HIM. He has an agenda and looking out for "us" is not part of it if you ask me. Yall should read this letter Oaksterdam is handing out from Narc Emery, jesus christ of course RL is tossing loot his way Marc has noise all the way up RL stinky ass. can we just de criminalize it and let all the poor pot heads out of fucking jail, for fuck sake. let us grow as much at our homes as we want. they are soooo focused on only a handfull controlling this shit and making weeedonalds. fuck em

fractal

fractal

These self righteous, entitled jerks want to form a union?

If it was not already blatantly obvious, cannabis dispensaries have righteously fucked up. Even without this unionizing they have reduced the california cannabis scene to a High Times level of stupidity.

Now they want to unionize, makes sense for a group of mentally retarded communists.

A

andrewthegreat

Wtf mate!

man i have to say that this is crazy bussiness. i hate politics! cant we all just get high with out the bullshit!

N

nor cali farmer

vote noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo peace

Top Bottom