Obama administration slams medical marijuana

• Thread starter spinkus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mastacheeser

mastacheeser

all this stuff is crazy similar to the end of the prohibition of alchol

behind closed doors, the federal government realized that prohibition didnt work, but at the same time couldnt just take the laws off the books. a total free for all would ensue

so the alternate is slowly relax laws, while taking a public attitude of "marijuana should be illegal and is harmful to all how use"

the recent memo basically kept everything as was. they were obviously worried about people getting carried away. several nor cal towns were setting some groundwork for outright commercialized growing. Bush/Clintion style politics would have to to interfere in local government, arrest growers, and intimidate local politicians. At least obama is keeping it civil and keeping good people out of jail

R

RMCG

all this stuff is crazy similar to the end of the prohibition of alchol

behind closed doors, the federal government realized that prohibition didnt work, but at the same time couldnt just take the laws off the books. a total free for all would ensue

so the alternate is slowly relax laws, while taking a public attitude of "marijuana should be illegal and is harmful to all how use"

the recent memo basically kept everything as was. they were obviously worried about people getting carried away. several nor cal towns were setting some groundwork for outright commercialized growing. Bush/Clintion style politics would have to to interfere in local government, arrest growers, and intimidate local politicians. At least obama is keeping it civil and keeping good people out of jail

There have been more frequent raids under Obama's watch than Bush's.

Here is the latest on Obama's escalating war on medical cannabis and his ever-expanding list of broken campaign promises. From Reason.com:
Obama Administration Overrides 2009 Ogden Memo, Declares Open Season on Pot Shops in States Where Medical Marijuana Is Legal
Mike Riggs | June 30, 2011
The Department of Justice sent out a memo Wednesday instructing the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration and leading officials in the U.S. Attorneys Office to treat medical marijuana shops as top priorities for prosecutors and drug investigators.
Continued at: Reason.com:
For anyone that thought things were at least getting better on this issue under the Obama administration, note especially this interesting fact from the artice:
Yet the DEA's medical marijuana raids not only have continued but are more frequent under Obama than they were under George W. Bush. Americans for Safe Access (ASA), which argues that patients who can benefit from marijuana should be able to obtain it legally, counts well over 100 raids in the two years and four months since Obama's inauguration, compared to about 200 during Bush's eight years in office. "The Obama administration really is being more aggressive than the administration of his predecessor," says ASA spokesman Kris Hermes.

S

spinkus

Yeah it doesnt matter weather democrat or republican, when it comes down to it Big Pharma is paying the campaign bills and they dont want to hear any pro-marijuana message

And with an election coming up Obama doesnt want his money mad at him for his lax PUBLIC stance, even though as RMCG pointed out he's been busy as bush behind closed doors.

So you make a public declaration denouncing medical marijuana, saying it has NO medical use, which is complete bullshit, to make them a little happier with you. Even if you dont agree with the way medical marijuana is being handled, how can anyone say that it has NO medical use? That in itself makes me call BS on anything they say

sky high

sky high

Yer probably onto somethin' there, RMCG...

but the statistics..well..are not 'apples and oranges", IMO. In our state alone...how many MORE dispensaries are there today than there were when Dumya was in orifice?
(thousands)

the memo/position never changed. what changed was that folks read WHAT THEY WANTED TO HEAR and took that to the bank. Never/nowhere did any of the previously released memos OK commercial sales (dispensaries) or commercial grows...yet...look at what has happened here in CO alone.

as was said before, folks need to look at the fact that they are NOT lookin at "patients" and small gardens, only the commercial side of it.
MMJ was never meant to be about folks gettin to go gonzo and make serios bank, it is about folks helping others grow small amounts and not be prosecuted for it.

sounds good to me. YMMV.

S

spinkus

Someone should publicly ask Obama "if marijuana has no medical benefit, none at all, why then do the pharmaceutical companies hold all the patents on it??" l would love to see the look on his face and hear his BS answer!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Obama is just covering his backside,he is NO different than all the other current crop of politicos(liars) hes in it for the money not to do the right thing.I honestly cant beleive anyone puts any faith in him at all,hes got us in even more wars and a worse economic situation than we were even in with bush,who would have even thought that possible?Im beginning to think Ron paul has the right idea,scratch everything get rid of the IRS cancel the war on drugs,bring all our boys home and start over using the constitution as our baseline AND dont butt in to peoples personal business and choices.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

the way i see it, second term obama is the only chance we got
unless your going to hop on the ron paul/gary johnson bandwagon

R

RMCG

You do realize that Congress actually has the power, not the president. Although from the 'emperors' actions as of late, you would never know...

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I was always curious what the excepted medical use for alcohol, nicotine, or tar for that matter? since that seems to be the test for MMJ, lets apply it ot the other "controlled" substances and see what we get.

Is there an actual medical use for cyanide or arsanic? other than killing people and things. If death is an actual medical use and its a schedule 3 drug how in the world do they continue to justify the schedule 1 status of cannabis...

All seems crazy to me..

Tex

altimood

altimood

To add to the craziness, last week a congressional committee voted to reduce federal sentences against crack offenders and commence to early releases. So now let's go after medicinal marijuana. None of our elected officials are worth a bowl of turds. I don't get it either. That story is on google news by CBS btw.

K

kolah

The real POWER is way above the puppets (aka presidents.)..including assshole Obama.

The real POWER is from a small group of elite bankers..aka Banksters...aka The goons who run the Federal Reserve and print money out of thin air. Google "Money Masters" and see how far down the rabbit hole goes. Red or blue pill?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Someone should publicly ask Obama "if marijuana has no medical benefit, none at all, why then do the pharmaceutical companies hold all the patents on it??" l would love to see the look on his face and hear his BS answer!

Bro it's not big pharma that holds the patents. It's the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. Look it up. It's the biggest piece of double standard ever.
The fed is out of control and needs to be abolished.

altimood

altimood

I agree about the fed, but am curious about how you plan to do that...

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Im on the RonPaul/Gary Johnson bandwagon :) voted for Obama the last time. Seems like a lot of the continuing Obama fans are clueless(no offense, :joint:).

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I agree about the fed, but am curious about how you plan to do that...

Prayer, I guess.

I believe that if the general public had half an idea of how corrupt our government is, there would be more action. The plan is to organize voters and elect HONEST people to run our government. There needs to be intense scrutiny and some form of accountability. The red tape is so bad now that officials can stall indefinitely.

I am making it my mission to make sure everyone I know understands the double standard of the feds on Cannabis. They are still trying to repress truth! It will eventually bite them in the ass, I HOPE. Be sure everyone you know understands that the feds condemn cannabis, but hold a patent on some of its medical properties, "just in case". WHY THE FUCK do they hold a patent? what could have possibly motivated them to seek this patent? What does it mean for the "War on Drugs"?
Even folks who do not like cannabis (or any idea of it) are incensed at the dual standard.

Face it, folks.
Don't waive your rights while waving a flag.
We are not the land of the free.
We are fascists or sheep.
I choose sheep. Maybe a wolf in sheep's wool.

I suppose I just need to buy an island and gtfo. Wonder how long it would be until that island would be invaded by the Evil Empire...

This is how Columbus, New Mexico got rid of their corrupt government...
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mexico-town-dissolves-police-dept-gun-smuggling-scandal-184408968.html#more-13679

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

You do realize that Congress actually has the power, not the president. Although from the 'emperors' actions as of late, you would never know...

the republican controlled congress?

and obama still has to sign/veto anything that comes through

Im on the RonPaul/Gary Johnson bandwagon voted for Obama the last time. Seems like a lot of the continuing Obama fans are clueless(no offense, ).

this is the problem with a 2 party system. voting for the person not winning is really just voting against the winner (a vote for ron paul last round was a vote for mccain)

Clueless to what? no memos going to shutting down half of la clubs. at least theyre somewhat playing by the rules now. Or the massive cluster fuck of a country handed to him. Ill admit i will be pissed if i have to learn to speak chinese. But that decades of problems coming together.

Top Bottom