Obama supports legalization!!!

• Thread starter QleanerQuest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Yesterday I caught a clip on Obama being quoted for a statement regarding mj. They said the president said "its as harmless as alcohol",
He smoked it as a teen and college student and said hed "rather his son smoke pot than play football, that football is more harmful than pot due to concussions".
Awesome step forward and he is supporting a bill to sttraight legalize marijuana, also bringing up how much it costs to keep locking up our youth over a flower.
Did anyone else catch this or was I high? Lol! I shouldve found a news clip link for this discussion. In fact, I will. But does anyone have any comments? Anyone stoked like me? Or do you think they are selling us a dream?
Quest

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

All we really need to know about what he said is that 1) he is against legalization 2)he has no plans to change federal law about cannabis at all.
I never saw anything about him supporting legalization at all,just the opposite.Im seeing tons of posts about how great this was and i dont get it.

squiggly

squiggly

Lets recreational legalization go ahead without much federal interferance, despite his power to shut it all down at the drop of a hat.

Says pot is no more harmful than alcohol (parroting, verbatim, one of the primary arguments of the legalization movement since time immemorial), being the first president to say such a thing.

Says legalization MUST move forward, that it's the best thing for our country.

Gets criticized for not supporting legalization.

I guess you can't please everyone. Some folks would rather hate the person than his actions.

Last edited:
QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

All we really need to know about what he said is that 1) he is against legalization 2)he has no plans to change federal law about cannabis at all.
I never saw anything about him supporting legalization at all,just the opposite.Im seeing tons of posts about how great this was and i dont get it.
Total opposite of what CNBC News was saying.
its all for votes, but i wish i could believe it

btw he has two daughters, no sons
That was a figurative statement I beleive. They don't have girls football in High School.
Idk, caught half a story that got me fired up and was looking for elaboration from someone else who may have seen it. I'm positive the news said this. Still haven't had time to go to the website. Ill try to find the story and post the link.

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Lets recreational legalization go ahead without much federal interferance, despite his power to shut it all down at the drop of a hat.

Says pot is no more harmful than alcohol (parroting, verbatim, one of the primary arguments of the legalization movement since time immemorial), being the first president to say such a thing.

I guess you can't please everyone. Some folks would rather hate the person than his actions.

Ok you obviously seen it too. I wasn't trippin, lol. One way or another it'll happen. Either they conform or we will make it happen one state at a time. I like that!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I have heard you say many times that obama has no control over marijuana whatsoever squiggs and now you say he could shut it all down at the drop of a hat?Which is it going to be?

Tell us something we all dont already know,I applaud him for telling the truth though but isnt that what presidents are supposed to do?Do you get extra points for being a polotician and telling the truth?

Legalization must move forward because the majority of the country says so,Not because Mr. obama thinks its the right thing to do,He obviously doesnt if you just listen to his own words.

Because he doesnt and Because tens of thousands of people every year are still being prosecuted federally for their personal choice to use marijuana and he hasnt done jack shit to stop it.

Is it hate when you beleive a person is not doing the right thing squiggs?I dont hate him i just dont agree with him or buy into his ideas.

Qleaner,I saw parts of the interview yesterday but cant find a COMPLETE transcript today probably because the new yorker wants you to buy the mag to read it.I agree the media is spinning it alot of different ways right now and its confusing.Im 100% for federal legalization after all what good is state law when feds can barge in and just override it?I too hope we see a change for the better and SOON.
I did find this official blurb from the obama administration about MJ,

squiggly

squiggly

Is it hate when you beleive a person is not doing the right thing squiggs?I dont hate him i just dont agree with him or buy into his ideas.

Qleaner,I saw parts of the interview yesterday but cant find a COMPLETE transcript today probably because the new yorker wants you to buy the mag to read it.I agree the media is spinning it alot of different ways right now and its confusing.Im 100% for federal legalization after all what good is state law when feds can barge in and just override it?I too hope we see a change for the better and SOON.
I did find this official blurb from the obama administration about MJ,

Touche.

At the same time, you did say:

He has no plans to change federal law about cannabis at all.
I never saw anything about him supporting legalization at all,just the opposite.

The first appeared very matter-of-factly in a list. I'm wondering if you have any evidence to that effect that you'd care to share with us. That's a pretty big accusation you've made there.

If you've not seen him support legalization, I'd like to argue that you aren't paying attention to the proper outlets--and that you've simultaneously ignored the impact of a sitting president saying what Obama just said.

I suppose I'm just wondering what your alternative is? No president in history has ever said anything even remotely as supportive of legalization as what Obama just did. What president are you comparing him on this issue to, to gauge his job performance?

I mean honestly. I get it if you disagree with his policies or whatever, but at some point we need to admit that you've set up a catch 22 for the man here. He couldn't win for losing with you.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

That website represents the white house and president obamas official stance on MJ,be sure to click the link to their resource center too so you have a better idea exactly where this administration stands,These are BOTH official obama administration websites and represent their most current positions.

squiggly

squiggly

The official word on what the president feels on this just came out of his mouth. That's sort of how these things work on our planet. People speak for themselves.

All that website you linked says is that there are negative health effects associated with marijuana use and that it's not responsible to suggest otherwise in broad disagreement with the overwhelming majority of research and data that we currently have. It makes no quality judgment as to the nature of the discourse in our country or which direction it should move--it acknowledges that the discourse exists and then suggests it is not the best of ideas to promote marijuana use, especially in children.

This isn't rocket science dude. What that statement says is 100% true. Kids should not be toking up, and there ARE negative health effects associated with MJ smoking (even while there may also be positive effects. As we know, beneficial drugs often have side effects).

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Touche.

At the same time, you did say:

The first appeared very matter-of-factly in a list. I'm wondering if you have any evidence to that effect that you'd care to share with us. That's a pretty big accusation you've made there.

If you've not seen him support legalization, I'd like to argue that you aren't paying attention to the proper outlets--and that you've simultaneously ignored the impact of a sitting president saying what Obama just said.

I suppose I'm just wondering what your alternative is? No president in history has ever said anything even remotely as supportive of legalization as what Obama just did. What president are you comparing him on this issue to, to gauge his job performance?

I mean honestly. I get it if you disagree with his policies or whatever, but at some point we need to admit that you've set up a catch 22 for the man here. He couldn't win for losing with you.
Well said. That WAS VERY monumental for a president to say what he did and that was my point. Not to analyze him as a president. Its awesome things are even being seriously discussed on THAT level!
Great post. Like your perspective. Optomism.
Quest

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

You guys are drinking the Kool-Aid. This is what his advisers are telling him to say and do. HE NEEDS public support right now because a LOT of people want to see him impeached. He PROMISED to keep the DEA out of MMJ...yet there have been more raids on MMJ than when Bush was in office. He is a puppet. A politician, and as corrupt as they come.

I had hope for Obama...I really did.....but when he hired Monsanto's chief lobbyist to head the FDA....I knew he was a BOUGHT AND PAID FOR politician just like the rest of them.

This is akin to the saying "Let them eat cake"!

I'm calling bullshit.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

''The official word on what the president feels on this just came out of his mouth. That's sort of how these things work on our planet. People speak for themselves.''
So you would accept me at my word even if i did the EXACT OPPOSITE in writing and in my actions?,lol.

BTW he is FAR from the first president to talk of legalization,http://norml.org/news/2000/12/07/president-clinton-states-marijuana-should-be-decriminalized.
President bush was conflicted but beleived in the states rights to legalize,http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93704,He also had a MUCH BETTER track record than obama on marijuana enforcement.
When you write down one thing on your ''OFFICIAL' 'website and then go on to say the exact opposite you are talking out of both sides of your mouth which all politicians are famous for,he is just telling you what you want to hear.In no way am i saying a republican would be any better squiggs as you seem to think this 'hate' as you call it evolves from some party lines,quite the opposite,I beleive they are ALL liars who will say anything that suits their purpose at the moment.ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

... said hed "rather his son smoke pot than play football, that football is more harmful than pot due to concussions".

Hey, that's what I did! Smoked weed & didn't play football. I figured it out almost 30 yrs before he did though. LOL

"According to a recent CNN poll, 87 percent of Americans think marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol." - link

Best comment there: "If only the Republicans would let him exercise his power to pardon people he's locked up over weed!" - LOL - EXACTLY!

Making a statement that almost 90% of the public agrees with isn't exactly a bold move, especially without any meaningful action. We can only hope that some will be taken.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
This is one of the parts I liked :)

"it's important for it to go forward because it's important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished."

You can't have 30 to 40% of your citizens breaking the law! :p

He also said Poor kids get punished and middle class kids dont..

Same goes for Adults right?

Set them all free!
make room for bad people

Annual deaths
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You guys are drinking the Kool-Aid. This is what his advisers are telling him to say and do. HE NEEDS public support right now because a LOT of people want to see him impeached. He PROMISED to keep the DEA out of MMJ...yet there have been more raids on MMJ than when Bush was in office. He is a puppet. A politician, and as corrupt as they come.

I had hope for Obama...I really did.....but when he hired Monsanto's chief lobbyist to head the FDA....I knew he was a BOUGHT AND PAID FOR politician just like the rest of them.

This is akin to the saying "Let them eat cake"!

I'm calling bullshit.
I totally hear you..And I never had hope for obama....but for some reason....
I hopping they will let us eat cake! :)

squiggly

squiggly

Show me one MMJ operation that was DEMONSTRABLY following the law and the guidelines put forth by the justice department, which was then raided by the DEA. Show me ONE such case wherein charges were leveled of any kind.

You make a claim, but do not provide the evidence.

Here are the facts:

DOJ said: follow these guidelines (including state law), if you don't its your ass.
State said: follow this law.

So a bunch of people grow pot. Some follow the law, some do not.

The DEA raids some folks, and you say: See?!?! The government are a bunch of LIARS!

The problem with that is that the government didn't ever promise carte blanche to grow as much pot under whatever conditions any citizen might wish to dream up. The state government didn't promise that and the federal government didn't either. They set forth a very specific set of guidelines which had to be followed to the letter and semicolon. They made that ABUNDANDTLY clear.

To believe everyone who grew followed those guidelines is perhaps the most foolish thing I've ever heard, and your outrage here PRESUPPOSES that every single one of these folks were following the law and that the man just chose to keep them specifically down. Does that make sense? Or does it actually sound incredibly paranoid?

Be reasonable, or at least provide an ounce of evidence to back up the claims you make.

I know, personally, a guy who moved product from Colorado to Illinois--facilitating, with their knowledge, a grower from that state. I doubt quite highly he's the only dude making some bank on the high conversion rate.

Tell me again how everyone is following the law. Lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom