Odd 3 Cotyledon & sets of 3-leaves?

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

20190626_202702.jpg
20190626_202705.jpg

i saw this somewhere here in these forums....on the bottom photo it shows the 3 cotyledon, i'm only used to a pair. and it seems to be growing 3-leaves...

this is a random seed of unknown genetic stock - a seed from a nice session. this sprout is an experiment to test the growing conditions.

Trifoliate, no! whorled phyllotaxis or phyllotax? a little confused with this nomenclature .

i suppose i let it grow out, if it turns out to be female, then see if it flowers well. I expect that this plant will grow these sets of 3 leaves, until it starts maturing.

anyway, anyone had much experience with such seedlings/sprouts with these sets of 3 leaves?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its a whorled phylotaxy (sp.?) or trifoliate. Same thing. It will likely keep growing in that pattern.

I have had only one like that. It grew fine but into a little 3 topped pole plant. Never branched out much.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Interesting plant. The other post was a little different, with odd lobed leaves and not quite what you are seeing. I've only had that happen to me as a result of a pinching or topping gone awry. I'd let it continue and see what develops. If it's good smoke, you could try to breed it to see if it is genetic or a mutation. In any event, it is pretty cool.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
seems to be happy, so let it do its thing - then i'm thinking of topping or LTS a little later.View attachment 878247
Let it grow a little more before topping it to see if it reverts to normal or if you start getting 3 new growths along the stem instead of the normal 2. I'm kinda excited to see how this grows out!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Is it a fem seed or regular? Regular trifoliate plants often turn out male in my experience. But female tri's do happen.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I stuck this 3 leaf patterned stalk in a pencil box on my desk a few years ago when we harvested her. She was from a feminized Jack 33 seed.

I grew little plants when i only had a 4x4 tent for flowering. She is about 14” tall and yielded an oz or two. She stayed smaller than the rest of the seeds plants from the pack. I dont know if stunting is part of the trifoliate condition but she was small and stayed small.

1EA0DB73 858A 485F 9D20 9CF1E8806385

I never topped her. She naturally grew 3 top buds. Sorry the original pics are hidden in my old laptop.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Pot equivalent of a four leaf clover. Not significant. I had one last year. Good plant, but nothing unique, other than the three way growth for the first two feet of growth. The branches all turned normal.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

I had a plant that grew like that .....It eventually reverted to normal growth.... It staggers leaf pattern earlier than normal.

that's my suspicion...that it would revert back to regular pattern later....

Is it a fem seed or regular? Regular trifoliate plants often turn out male in my experience. But female tri's do happen.

unknown genetic stock, random.

Pot equivalent of a four leaf clover. Not significant. I had one last year. Good plant, but nothing unique, other than the three way growth for the first two feet of growth. The branches all turned normal.

yeah, gonna grow it out - hope its female. and if female then grow out to its maturity. might take some cuttings when larger - and if female, and good smoke then keep a motherplant going.

time will tell.....when it will reveal its true character. i'll update here as it goes, fingers x'd it aint male.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

just a little progress report...

ignore the colouring of the photos, the leaves are all dark green - it's my photographic lack of skills & lighting.

it's stocky, bushy already. fingers crossed. i will take closer pickies next time of its intersection betw the main stem and the offshoots, where there is healthy growth.

interesting days ahead, praying it might be a decent gal.

20190704 184549
20190704 184610
20190704 184633

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom