Odd strain.. what is it??

• Thread starter Prospector
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prospector

Prospector

I have a bunch of seeds that I grow from every year and then I let a couple go to seed. They are a mixed bag and i get a few different types. This is the first year I get plants that look like this though.. 3 the same, Very skinny, sativa type leaves.. but no buds.. just empty seed pods and lotsa trichomes. Gonna wind up in the hash pile, but still id like to know whats going on with them??

Odd strain what is it

Odd strain what is it 2

Odd strain what is it 3

Odd strain what is it 4

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

are you feeding it veg nutes? If not that is fuckin strange. Never seen anything grow like that

Prospector

Prospector

No Nutes.. just some goof ol promix and topsoil.. weird thing is... three different plants in two locations..

az2000

az2000

This is the first year I get plants that look like this though.. 3 the same, Very skinny, sativa type leaves.. but no buds.. just empty seed pods and lotsa trichomes. Gonna wind up in the hash pile, but still id like to know whats going on with them??

Are you growing indoors or out? Is it possible they're getting light during darkness? If indoor, maybe a powerstrip's on-off switch (iluminated in the tent)? Or, leaks in the tent material? Or, if outdoors, is there some new light sources? Street lights? Neighbors' lights?

I grew in a tent once and used some reptile CFLs for UV. I had them on their own timer, coming on every hour or two for 15 minutes. I worked on the tent one day, and unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, I forgot how the timer was off for 6 hours. For the next two weeks those CFLs came on during the dark period. I ended up with a plant that looked a lot like that.

Prospector

Prospector

Ther are outside along with other plants that are doing fine.

az2000

az2000

Ther are outside along with other plants that are doing fine.

Is it possible they're in the path of a light that comes on at night? They get a look at some light, a beam hits the, the others don't. Headlights from a nearby road?

Maybe it's possible a stain is more sensitive to light during lights out. (Lights out is when an enzyme or hormone builds up. If it builds up to a certain level, that's when the plant knows it's in flower. That's why you run indoor lights at 18/6 to burn off the hormone, not let it reach that level when the plant changes.). It sounds plausibe that genetics could affect this. Some plants could produce more or less of that hormone. Others would burn it off faster. (I doubt this one aspect of the plant's life is 100% the same for all cannabis plants. There must be some genetic difference.). Outdoors is never perfectly black. Stars, moon, man-made light. Maybe it's just not dark enough for these three plants, their genetics? Maybe they're the product of "breeding" ruining genetics.

@Jimster has suggested this sort of thing is slowly happening (with the new legal pop-cannabis culture). The dark side of "selection?"

Prospector

Prospector

Hmm maybe... Looks like theyll make great hash though lol.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

with them cloudy white thric's,i do believe i would do a fast dry and hit a little in the pipe,im crazy though,i still smoke from a coke can when needed like travling,smoke wild lettuce too,taste like straight from the cows ass,hahahah,then theres the 70 and 80 items involved shhhhh hahahahah,yep i try it,lmao

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Are you growing indoors or out? Is it possible they're getting light during darkness? If indoor, maybe a powerstrip's on-off switch (iluminated in the tent)? Or, leaks in the tent material? Or, if outdoors, is there some new light sources? Street lights? Neighbors' lights?

I grew in a tent once and used some reptile CFLs for UV. I had them on their own timer, coming on every hour or two for 15 minutes. I worked on the tent one day, and unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, I forgot how the timer was off for 6 hours. For the next two weeks those CFLs came on during the dark period. I ended up with a plant that looked a lot like that.
I never even thought about light from a power strip switch. Gotta double check mine now

az2000

az2000

I never even thought about light from a power strip switch. Gotta double check mine now

3 weeks ago I was setting up a small tent for my test using cactus mix. I hadn't zipped myself inside for a long time, and thought I should do that again (reestablish my understanding of how dark the tent is). As soon as I did, I realized I had caused a problem with a power-strip (which has an LED on/off toggle. If I hadn't zipped myself in the tent, I wouldn't have even thought of it.

That was a humbling experience because I think I know what I'm doing. It was disturbing how easy it is to not think of little things like that. (It was a lot of light, once the tent was sealed.).

basscaptain

basscaptain

with them cloudy white thric's,i do believe i would do a fast dry and hit a little in the pipe,im crazy though,i still smoke from a coke can when needed like travling,smoke wild lettuce too,taste like straight from the cows ass,hahahah,then theres the 70 and 80 items involved shhhhh hahahahah,yep i try it,lmao
been there done that lol

Top Bottom