Ogbiowar In Cloner Caused Root Rot

• Thread starter F.Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F.Dupp

F.Dupp

I have been running my ezcloner 120 the same way for 4 years. 25 gal RO water, 15ml of Orca, and 150 ml of liquid Clonex. I even run a seedling heat mat under the cloner to get water temps up to 81 degres, as the Orca does a great job of protecting the water from rot. I always get roots by day 6. I usually get 100% rooting. I added 12 cups of OGBiowar Roots and Foliar to the cloner. The next day I noticed that the water smelled foul. By day 2 I could see the rot pattern in my roots and the water was putrid. The roots also browned severely, but I attributed this to the molasses in the brew. This NEVER happens when I run with only Orca and Clonex. So I drained the cloner, added 25 more gal of RO, the Orca and the clonex and everything was immediately cleared up. Is this product not for use in cloners?

FreeRadical

FreeRadical

I am interested in the answer. Could it be that something beneficial colonized and smelled foul? Im not thinking I'm right just curious if it's possible.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

I had actually unplugged the heat mat in order to run an extra airstone for the OGBiowar. So I had two airstones running and a large dose of beneficials. Im not sure how that would create rot.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

The cloner becomes a tea Brewer, ans molasses isn't selective on what microbes it feeds. I've had it explained to me that molasses increases the chances of "bad actors" showing up.

I'd say go back to what you know works. But the tea is suggested for Aqua-type systems at 1c/10gal if that helps.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

The cloner becomes a tea Brewer, ans molasses isn't selective on what microbes it feeds. I've had it explained to me that molasses increases the chances of "bad actors" showing up.

I'd say go back to what you know works. But the tea is suggested for Aqua-type systems at 1c/10gal if that helps.[/QUOTE

Lol. The "bad actors" showed up within 24 hours after adding the brew. I did not know that the tea was recommended at that dosage. So I only added 6x too much. Thanks for the tip. I run an aero system, so that advice will come in handy, and save me from brewing way too much tea. Thanks, Savage

G gnome

G gnome

81 is too hot for the cloner.......microbes or not....68deg just like any other hydro rez.......tea is brewed for say....24-48hrs right? Anyone who has brewed tea knows what happens when u let it sit too long b4 u use it. no matter whether is has molasses or not.....even if its being aerated and agitated. It still goes bad

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Go back to your tried and true methods. Simple!!! Then use OG biowar as directed once you get your grow on. No need to us ogbiowar in your cloner. Word up, stop using BSM as well.

As gnome said lower your temps as well 80+ deg is asking for problems

Trixxi

Trixxi

I wondered the same question about the biowar ... Anyone else use the product? What are your experiences?

I have done the brew for 24 hrs, 48hrs but any longer than after that smelled real foul so I decided not to use. I don't know why but sometimes my plants really respond and other times I think it burns them. Always spraying end of day lights off.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I wondered the same question about the biowar ... Anyone else use the product? What are your experiences?

I have done the brew for 24 hrs, 48hrs but any longer than after that smelled real foul so I decided not to use. I don't know why but sometimes my plants really respond and other times I think it burns them. Always spraying end of day lights off.
@Capulator products from what I have heard are some bad azz micros for various applications. I have seen dozens of folks over the last 4-5 years rave about the products efficacy and have never heard any negative feedback........... FWIW. I dont use personally due to the fact I do my own mix/style. If it aint broke dont fix it is my motto. :)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I have been running my ezcloner 120 the same way for 4 years. 25 gal RO water, 15ml of Orca, and 150 ml of liquid Clonex. I even run a seedling heat mat under the cloner to get water temps up to 81 degres, as the Orca does a great job of protecting the water from rot. I always get roots by day 6. I usually get 100% rooting. I added 12 cups of OGBiowar Roots and Foliar to the cloner. The next day I noticed that the water smelled foul. By day 2 I could see the rot pattern in my roots and the water was putrid. The roots also browned severely, but I attributed this to the molasses in the brew. This NEVER happens when I run with only Orca and Clonex. So I drained the cloner, added 25 more gal of RO, the Orca and the clonex and everything was immediately cleared up. Is this product not for use in cloners?

1 to 2 cups fresh tea with root pack only per 5 gallons in a cloner , or 1/3tsp per gallon of root pack only straight in. temps should not be 81 thats a little hot IMHO.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

The reason I was using so much, and the specific reason I purchased the OGBiowar was to combat a root aphid infestation. I am happy to say that 2 weeks into using the product, along with fogging my aero system with pyrethrum every other day, I have not seen a living crawler or flier in over 5 days, where just ten days ago I had fliers EVERYWHERE. I will continue to treat everything as if the infestation is still present for at least three months, just to make sure they are gone for good. I have seen an instant return of health to my garden. Thanks to everyone on these forums for their contributions to various threads from which I have learned so much.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@F.Dupp you can use the foliar pack full strength as a drench for your issue with no tea. Just mix, let settle, and water in.

Too much root pack in a cloner seems like it could cause issues as the bacteria will suck up a lot of O2 that the roots need.

CocoCola

CocoCola

It seems the foliar pack would probably not be ideal.

Beneficials are weird, though. I've found that what's amazing for rooted plants doesn't help with cloning. I'm actually amazed (and intrigued) that you found Orca works well in the cloner...partiucarly at 81 F

I use the Permaclone's methods of keeping sterile but high temps.

87FPic

Latest posts

Top Bottom