• Thread starter Harpua88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sambapati

sambapati

Do they? ;)

I know that......I better know that much. But is there really going to be measurable added benefit beyond the aeration already going on? Like I said, I'll do it. I assume I'd have to buy a device, I'm certainly not going to agressively shake every gallon of water........although it would be a great workout.....

Recommend this solar powered air pump have used it for a while -- so easy. @NotFrankster got me started on this idea of what roots really want. Tools and gizmos!

20230506 064535
20230506 064604
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Ok, they're definitely taking off after transplanting.......1 auto snuck in there, that's being replaced. Time to start ty8ng, using clips/bending.

There's also a seed that popped in one of them, I have no idea how that could have gotten in there, all of the soil is new and store bought. So that's weird.

I also have the one from the Strawberry Widow x unknown Indica where a plant appeared from below the soil, at the roots level......that's also weird.

But things are rolling along, I'd like to flip in about a week but maybe a few days longer.

20230509 175751
20230509 175759
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Wow bro looking great! Definitely gotta love the head scratchers that make you say 🤔 but roll with the punches!! Keep up the great work!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Wow bro looking great! Definitely gotta love the head scratchers that make you say 🤔 but roll with the punches!! Keep up the great work!
Thank you......from day one I knew I had a lot of work, and a lot of rust to shake off.....there have been quite a few times where I've said "why am I doing it this way, what a waste of time/energy". Some things were out of my control, plus the obvious mistakes.....but I'm basically achieving my goal. Number of plants, the variety, I'll make some crosses/seeds out of any that stand out.......I'm taking lots of notes (and have read/followed a lot here). Unfortunately summer is coming, so I'm shutting down for the warmest months after this run, but as soon as fall comes I'll be all ready to go, and then I'll start running the landraces/heirloom varieties. That's where things will get really fun.

Been turning/working the outdoor patch, good, rich soil.......it has some pretty thick roots still in it, from Hydrangeas that we cut down 2 yrs ago and over the last 2 years we've been removing the roots, turning the soil......over the last 2 years I've added some ashes from the fireplace, vermiculite, perlite, egg shells, and peat moss. Next up is compost, bone meal, a little lime.....I'll need to check the Ph and make adjustments. There are a good amount of worms, we tried our best to save all of them..;)

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Thank you......from day one I knew I had a lot of work, and a lot of rust to shake off.....there have been quite a few times where I've said "why am I doing it this way, what a waste of time/energy". Some things were out of my control, plus the obvious mistakes.....but I'm basically achieving my goal. Number of plants, the variety, I'll make some crosses/seeds out of any that stand out.......I'm taking lots of notes (and have read/followed a lot here). Unfortunately summer is coming, so I'm shutting down for the warmest months after this run, but as soon as fall comes I'll be all ready to go, and then I'll start running the landraces/heirloom varieties. That's where things will get really fun.

Been turning/working the outdoor patch, good, rich soil.......it has some pretty thick roots still in it, from Hydrangeas that we cut down 2 yrs ago and over the last 2 years we've been removing the roots, turning the soil......over the last 2 years I've added some ashes from the fireplace, vermiculite, perlite, egg shells, and peat moss. Next up is compost, bone meal, a little lime.....I'll need to check the Ph and make adjustments. There are a good amount of worms, we tried our best to save all of them..;)
I wish I had the understanding, dedication and self discipline to build a soil from the ground up. That sounds really cool and I’ll be paying attention to learn some things for sure!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Im in Albany County NY. Its done nothing but rain for like 9 days now. Today was supposed to be 62 and sunny. Now its 50 and raining... sick if it already and spring just started...
Everything is a sloppy muddy mess. Cant even take plants out for a couple hours a day for like another 2 weeks 😕
Yeah it's been a wet spring.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I wish I had the understanding, dedication and self discipline to build a soil from the ground up. That sounds really cool and I’ll be paying attention to learn some things for sure!
I don't know if it's even all that as much as "a little of this, a little of that"......;).I think good soil is a combination of many things, of course not too much of the rich stuff. Then it's about hitting the right Ph, of course good water retention but also well aerated.....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Its been a cold one too.
28°f this morning. Hope my plants outside are good. Was only supposed to hit 45 for a low.
We're a couple hundred miles north of you, west of Plattsburgh, so it's not unusual to dip below freezing in May. We're even 3-5 degrees colder than the forecast low in Plattsburgh so we always have to allow for that. Plus we're up 1500ft in elevation. I need to look at the 10 day forecast, somewhere around now, and see nothing below 40+ for me to feel comfortable planting outdoors.

Last year we had a warm, late fall. I couldn't believe I was able to harvest around Nov 1st. Still, there were a few early mornings where it got to 30 or a bit lower. The plants didn't love it but they were fine, and that was at the end of flowering. Keeping them dry/preventing mold/powder was more of an issue. There are other factors, like how developed they are........seedlings might be too delicate to survive, but established, more developed plants can often handle a brief freeze.

Last edited:
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

We're even 3-5 degrees colder than the forecast low in Plattsburgh so we always have to allow for that. Plus we're up 1500ft in elevation. I need to look at the 10 day forecasr, somewhere around now, and see nothing below 40+ for me to feel comfortable planting outdoors.
Yeah forecast called for 42, 10 day forecast has nothing below 45 but its still dipping into the high 20s... my elevation here is 1,598 feet, i mean its snowed the end of may beginning of june before here so im not surprised its as cold as it is.

I was 100% out of room so something had to go outside, my big plant is happy and healthy but the 2 smaller ones are wilted and not happy this morning. Theyll pull through, i guess ill have to bring them in my shed at night under a heat lamp at night until the last weekend of May.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah forecast called for 42, 10 day forecast has nothing below 45 but its still dipping into the high 20s... my elevation here is 1,598 feet, i mean its snowed the end of may beginning of june before here so im not surprised its as cold as it is.

I was 100% out of room so something had to go outside, my big plant is happy and healthy but the 2 smaller ones are wilted and not happy this morning. Theyll pull through, i guess ill have to bring them in my shed at night under a heat lamp at night until the last weekend of May.
Has the forecast been off or do you just need to allow for your location being colder? I usually find forecasts tend to undershoot high temps......it always seems to get hotter than they sayit will.

This is where maybe one of those heat guns could come in handy......not so much that we barbecue them ;) . But enough to raise temps a few degrees. In the fall, a heat gun or two could also dry them out a bit and prevent mold/pm.

Is there a temporary place in the house, maybe outside the grow room, or by a sunny window...? Not that a shed is bad...

Yeah they'll wilt a little if it gets cold but (mostly) snap right back when the sun comes out and things warm up. But I get how you want to make sure they're ok. An hour at 30 degrees is one thing. Sustained 27 is another.....

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Has the forecast been off or do you just need to allow for your location being colder? I usually find forecasts tend to undershoot high temps......it always seems to get hotter than they sayit will.

This is where maybe one of those heat guns could come in handy......not so much that we barbecue them ;) . But enough to raise temps a few degrees. In the fall, a heat gun or two could also dry them out a bit and prevent mold/pm.

Is there a temporary place in the house, maybe outside the grow room, or by a sunny window...? Not that a shed is bad...

Yeah they'll wilt a little if it gets cold but (mostly) snap right back when the sun comes out and things warm up. But I get how you want to make sure they're ok. An hour at 30 degrees is one thing. Sustained 27 is another.....
Its usually fairly accurate. Withing 3 to 5 degrees like you say yours is.

So when it reads 42, i expect 37-35 for a low, but definitely not 28 lol.

I dont want them inside once theyve been out because i dont want bugs or fungi inside with my other plants. I lost 2 indoor grows back to back last fall from mildew so rather just keep them in the shed under a heat lamp at night. I have 2 sheds attached together to make 1, i havent yet opened it up to make it 1 big shed so the back shed has a 3x6 opening where the door was, i hang a heavy blanket over that opening and the heat lamp keeps it 10-12 degrees above outside temps. I could also build a makshift box to put them in, i have like 6 sheets of 1" foam insulation.

I also use a leaf blower to dry them off whenever they get wet to try to prevent mold.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes, a leaf blower......that's another good idea. I don't have one yet, but I did just buy a good shop vac. Not as strong as a good leaf blower, but also effective at targeting some needed drying.......to a point. It's easy if you have 3 or 4 3ft tall ones. A bunch of 6ft tall + and yeah, leaf blower, or heat gun.

We are just about to plant outdoors. Looking out at the 10day forecast it looks safe. You never really know. It could always dip below freezing end of May, even early June......rare, but it can happen. Unless there's some really unusual cold front.....it's time.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I have had plants outside for about 1week Friday 🤣 they're fine. A little frost damage builds character 😂 I put everything in my garden Sunday. I need to take some pictures but I was so busy. I reveged a plant and stuck it outside 2weeks ago after I pulled clones. I don't even need it anymore lol. But it so bit I might drop it off at my buddies he has property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom