• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
I just cover my plants at night in The Spring but i am also putting out autos already done with their veg so they are hardy. Any plant that's not young and is covered should be ok with nights in the high 30s and low 40s but all genetics differ so 🤷‍♂️ who knows what your luck may bring

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
20 years ago I had a video of deer fighting around one of my pants and eating it. They apparently go high as shit and pissed off at the squirrels
I'll definitely keep an eye out for these pants-eating deer.... ;)

I'm actually surprised that nothing ate my plants last year, animals or bugs. Plenty of both around.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I just cover my plants at night in The Spring but i am also putting out autos already done with their veg so they are hardy. Any plant that's not young and is covered should be ok with nights in the high 30s and low 40s but all genetics differ so 🤷‍♂️ who knows what your luck may bring
It has been a chilly May. We only put the outdoor plants in the ground this week. We've had quite a few nights get below 40. Now it looks like nights will be the 50s.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
It has been a chilly May. We only put the outdoor plants in the ground this week. We've had quite a few nights get below 40. Now it looks like nights will be the 50s.
I thought that as well then started getting low 40’s again after I just put in 300 plants in the garden, even had one night drop right to 32f as I was waking up at 4am for work, then go back up, saw the frost thought they where dead, only lost the cucumbers and 1 tomato plant thank god lol

Be careful of that early spring planting lol

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Only 300? ;) . Yeah I learned last fall that mature plants can handle a little below freezing, but that's mature plants. They droop, it warms up, they pop back. You have to watch out for mold/pm though because they need to dry off from the frost, and if it's followed by rain for a day or two, they never get a chance to dry out.

Young plants/seedlings in spring may not recover.......

Here's our outdoor patch. In the front are 2 Divine Banana cuttings. The middle is an autoflower that I removed from the closet garden......I really don't care if it makes it or not. If it doesn't, it's gone. If it does, then it will be gone before it interferes with the others' root space. It's 11:30am and has already got an hour+ of sun, and will get full sun all day until sunset, so probably 9 hours of direct sun per day.

It got cold last night. May have dipped just below freezing.

20230525 112332
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
So here's the latest on the basement temps. Still 59 degrees in the non-boiler side, the digital one is in the bathroom. But there's a spare bedroom too.......it's even lower.....56?

This is for all the cold warriors out there, and those who insist garden temps must be 75+.....

The 3rd picture is this little weather station thing we have upstairs in the kitchen. The numbers on the right is the kitchen, main floor temp and humidity........the numbers on the left is from a monitor in the basement closet garden......it is 61 degrees in there right now.

It basically stays in the low 60s in the closet. Now that the plants are bigger the humidity is up, but as you can see, plants will thrive even down at these temps. It definitely kept things slow in the beginning, (I did use a cute little mist heater when needed) which ironically may have helped me buy some time, but once plants are larger, transplanted, they will do very well in the low 60s. As the summer progresses it stays chilly in the basement all the way through September, when it seems to peak around 68-69, then starts going down again. I'm expecting the closet temp to get into the upper 60s to maybe low 70s at the most when I add the RSpec light.

20230525 111054
20230525 111150
20230525 113248
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thank you. It's a lot of work.......2+ years in and there are still some big projects that need to get done. Being from New York City, it ain't always easy. You should see me on a rider mower.....ha! It's going to take time to get things tight, work the land, house projects that need to get done......we've already switched to propane, had plumbing and electrical upgrades, security system, new generator....having good neighbors in the area has helped a lot too.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Thank you. It's a lot of work.......2+ years in and there are still some big projects that need to get done. Being from New York City, it ain't always easy. You should see me on a rider mower.....ha! It's going to take time to get things tight, work the land, house projects that need to get done......we've already switched to propane, had plumbing and electrical upgrades, security system, new generator....having good neighbors in the area has helped a lot too.
You’ll get used to it quick, I’m from south Philly so I know what you mean. You’ll really start to enjoy that riding mower more than you think. Then it’s trying to remember why you stayed in the city so long to begin with! Sounds like you have a real nice spot staked homie. Enjoy that shit, can’t take it with ya anyways!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You’ll get used to it quick, I’m from south Philly so I know what you mean. You’ll really start to enjoy that riding mower more than you think. Then it’s trying to remember why you stayed in the city so long to begin with! Sounds like you have a real nice spot staked homie. Enjoy that shit, can’t take it with ya anyways!
Yeah we're getting there. Some things need to be taken very seriously.......one wrong turn on a hill with a rider mower......or around the pond........would not go very well. Then there's things like chainsaws, which I simply won't use. I don't care how much safety is built in, I'd rather have a professional do that stuff, just like with electrical or plumbing work.

One of the reasons we came up so far north to get a house and some property instead of the suburbs is because I'm lucky that my parents bought into our apartment in the 1960s. It's a 2 bedroom/balcony on the river in Manhattan. I am not giving that up. I've already had a conversation with my wife and our son........when you sell nyc real estate is never. Never, ever. So we go back and forth a couple of times a month. But that's what's allowed us to get a house and property way up north and avoid the whole suburbs thing. My wife is from Long Island. I detest Long Island. A bunch of unhappy people on top of each other working themselves to death trying to one-up each other.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Oh you mean Long Island ain’t but a bunch of lemmings trying to keep up with the jones? I hear ya there buddy. It ain’t all bad though, this is why we have cannabis hahaha

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Only 300? ;) . Yeah I learned last fall that mature plants can handle a little below freezing, but that's mature plants. They droop, it warms up, they pop back. You have to watch out for mold/pm though because they need to dry off from the frost, and if it's followed by rain for a day or two, they never get a chance to dry out.

Young plants/seedlings in spring may not recover.......

Here's our outdoor patch. In the front are 2 Divine Banana cuttings. The middle is an autoflower that I removed from the closet garden......I really don't care if it makes it or not. If it doesn't, it's gone. If it does, then it will be gone before it interferes with the others' root space. It's 11:30am and has already got an hour+ of sun, and will get full sun all day until sunset, so probably 9 hours of direct sun per day.

It got cold last night. May have dipped just below freezing.
Yep lol 300 was the start, not including the carrots (around 150-200) , herbs, radishes (150-200) then just a few days ago I added another 50 cucumber, sugar snap peas, and yellow wax beans to the netted section of the garden lol

Yeah they mostly survived because I had them started in the tent about a month and a half early 😂 miscounted weeks lol, but when they went in, they where near a foot tall still in little propagation treys 😂

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yep lol 300 was the start, not including the carrots (around 150-200) , herbs, radishes (150-200) then just a few days ago I added another 50 cucumber, sugar snap peas, and yellow wax beans to the netted section of the garden lol

Yeah they mostly survived because I had them started in the tent about a month and a half early 😂 miscounted weeks lol, but when they went in, they where near a foot tall still in little propagation treys 😂
That's awesome. Working parts of our land to be able to grow a variety of vegetables is going to take time. We've already planted a variety of berries/bushes, and a few trees would be nice too, certainly apple up here......this property used to be a farm many years ago. The soil is rich.....but a little hard, occasional large rocks strewn about. It just has to be turned/worked......some additves..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom