• Thread starter Harpua88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I can’t say bud i was just closet breeding back then & had to stop ages ago long story.

All I remember was it was a skunk#1 x chitral x mazar
I think I may have used to mazar to bring the hight down. It was a good cross mind my only real one that turned out very good In five years of trying.
It had a pine taste & done well outside. These where the original mind todays mazar might not be the mazar of yesterday.

I tried once to cross total opposites with a Mexican & ? it tasted like sick so it can be a weird thing.

Just set up a 7.5f x 3.5f so I could start playing around again must admit I have some plans.

Oh well best go & check the lady’s have a good one bud
Just got to take a look at your pics, very nice, healthy, I dig the spacing and the height......you don't seem to flower too quickly, very good.

I particularly like the strain "Fungus Gnat Larvae Killer". Thats gotta be good stuff, but I can find it anywhere........also, I don't know if you can tell but one of your plants looks like it was attacked by a tiny little man. I saw 12 trillion of him at a Phish show in '97, each one of him was dancing and folding outward into exponentially increasing numbers and splashing fractals that burst out into more tiny little man. He was wearing a purple velvet coat with a cane and top hat.........

;)

I will be running mostly Skunks this time, I have a variety from different sources and enough of them where I can have some error cushion, and I will definitely do half of each Mazar. That leaves me picking a Sativa-leaner, and probably a Northern Lights. Plus my Strawberry Widow/Indica and a few of these Autos that will probably be relegated to overflow space unless something goes very wrong. I think I have some kind of Banana Auto. Today is decision and planting day and I'll post 1 or 2 pics........pictures of cups are not very exciting..... ;)

TrublsmScholar

TrublsmScholar

When I said hello I said that I had grown in a city apartment closet back in the late 80s-mid 90s. In 1988 I ordered Skunk #1 and Northern Lights seeds from Neville's Seed Bank and a 400w ckunky Metal Halide. I saved the pictures, not the genetics.......my teenage girlfriend and I moved in together.....we had fun. I have the stacks of High Times and books....

By around 1994, I had to stop growing, eventually a kid came along.....life. i knew one day I'd grow again. Plus. Skunk #1 will always be available......

My State is legal. Legal.......for 40+ years......things sucked. Now I can order Blueberry Fuel Skunk Chernobyl? And grow it? I'm still absorbing this. But, we got a house with some quiet property, a bit remote....but up north. Short seasons, early freezes (generally)...

This summer I put out a few testers, Strawberry Widow seeds from a friend, probably not 100%, and mixed a few of the seeds he made but not too sure of the genetics. I put 3 females outside in the sunniest area, where I'm looking to have 6 large females out there every year from now on. I'm working a patch big enough for them.

Thankfully the fall was unusually warm. Almost unheard of. It dipped below freezing just a few mornings in October, but it's usually a month that ushers in winter.......November was like another September, and beside one decent snowfall that melted away, the New Year saw no snow on the ground. Weird. Even January has been more rain than snow.

So I got to harvest the 3 females from Oct 20th to Nov 1st. Unheard of. And, I had to pollinate. I wanted seeds. I pollinated all 3 females with a big, tall, Indica dominant male. So these will be some sort of Strawberry Widow x Unknown Indica dom male. Sorry, it's all I got. I'll try to see what strain it might be close tò, i have pics of these too.........not bad for outdoor, kinda far up north........

So, now it's time. My 1st Indoor grow in nearly 30rs. After this I'll try to keep the stories to a minimum, and not report in on every day at every little stage......

I'll be planting tomorrow. Here are the details:

1/15/23: Talking about growing. Not actually doing anything. Just yapping away, wasting time and stalling. Waiting for the "right day". Tomorrow's actually a better day......

6' x 12' basement closet

1. HLG Scorpion Diablo
1. HLG Scorpion Rspec

12 x 5gallon* pots will fit in the space (3 rows of 4 pots each = 12 ) *Thinking of going 7gal.

I grow in soil. Dirt. Good dirt. Top soil, Pete moss, perlite, guano, worm castings.......I'll do what I can to keep the Ph dialed in. Mountain well water, filtered, Ph adjusted, probably don't need to add any extra food until near flowering

Planting ~40 seeds in 40 16oz peat pots. The goal is for at least 30 to pop, and live past the seedling stage.

Then the goal is for at least 12 strong Females. More would be great, we'll find a way to let them grow ;). 12 Strong females, 1 in each of the 12 pots. And 3 really big strong males for pollen.....

I will be adding UVB light during the 2nd half of flowering after acclimating them. I'm going to be making seeds with a certain portion of the best plants that I want to cross. I like working with heirlooms, landraces, the old-school strains, and I'd like to breed and create some interesting things, besides preserving strains.......

But I'll also grow some of the crazy new hybrids going around.... :)

Here's pictures of the closet, outside the closet is part of the boiler room, all of that stuff will soon be gone, the tanks, everything......we are switching from oil to propane. So outs8de of the closet I'll build a big grow box for making seedlings, so I can rotate new small plants in more quickly.

I do plan on regrowing and re-flowering the same plants twice. I always get a great 2nd harvest.

Besides these Strawberry Widow x Unkown Indica seeds I'm popping (1st time using the paper towel method, they're just popping after 48+ hours. I could make it a little warmer......

Tomorrow I'll list all the seeds I bought over the last couple of months. Maybe some ideas for which ones I should run 1st, 2nd........keeping in mind I'm looking to breed......

I have probably 25+ different varieties, almost all "Regular" / photoperiod.

Pictures of the space
I wanna see your old 1988 pictures from that grow and one's especially of your girlfriend lol

Nostalgic = good feels for real

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I wanna see your old 1988 pictures from that grow and one's especially of your girlfriend lol

Nostalgic = good feels for real
My girlfriend....?

My girlfriend, who I met in '86, (we moved in together as teenagers)....is laying right next to me. ;). Can you view pictures I've already posted? I posted a few of them, and a few tester plants I grew outside this past summer, mostly to test the area and make seeds. Global warming sucks, but I happened to luck out that we had a very long, warm fall. To harvest in late Oct - Nov 1st is almost unheard of up here. I also posted a few pics of some of my old High Times. The Holy Grail for me will be if I can find my old Neville's Seed Bank catalogue. Either '87 or '88.

Here's the pics of the Skunk #1 and Northern Lights......I think #5, that I grew, in a 4' x 3' closest, 400w Halide, 1988. I made seeds, crossed the two, crossed them with some Mexican or Southern Sativas......then when I stopped growing around '94, I figured "I'll get more seeds again at some point...". I will die and on my tombstone it will say "Here lies an idiot who didn't save his Skunk #1...". ;).

I also didn't expect to have to wait this long. That was a spare bedroom, our hang out/party room. I had black light posters, the stereo.......at some point in the late 90s we rented out that room to this baby who never left. I don't think he would have appreciated me using his closet to keep growing. ;)

20181204 112742
20181204 112729
20181204 112752
Gmix

Gmix

That’s just funny bud lol
Yeah the old gnats every time I open a window they smell the guano so I use nematodes all the time that & bti.

I didn’t expect you to see Jimmy the cricket haha I never had a grow mascot before & went overboard there’s a mushroom gang in there somewhere 😆
funny I was thinking about starting flower tonight if not tomorrow but yeah I’ll veg at least 6 weeks.

Yeah pics of cups or whatever I just post so I can keep date if I lose it, still it must be exciting to grow after all these years

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
That’s just funny bud lol
Yeah the old gnats every time I open a window they smell the guano so I use nematodes all the time that & bti.

I didn’t expect you to see Jimmy the cricket haha I never had a grow mascot before & went overboard there’s a mushroom gang in there somewhere 😆
funny I was thinking about starting flower tonight if not tomorrow but yeah I’ll veg at least 6 weeks.

Yeah pics of cups or whatever I just post so I can keep date if I lose it, still it must be exciting to grow after all these years
He he he.......yeah no one wants to see 64 pictures of cups and seedlings with commentary on how seedlings are developing into bigger seedlings......

I'm really psyched though. Perhaps the only good thing about getting older and time flying by faster is that it allows for easier patience. When I was 20, every grow was a painstaking wait, it felt like an eternity. As psyched as I am, 5 months will now go by in a flash.

Nematodes.......yeah. Something tells me I'll need 'em.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
old up wasn’t this about not growing in 30 years not germinating seeds in a paper towel for 30 years 😆
I like to take it back......way, way back. ;)

I need to tackle popping in paper towels because I can't plant 50 cups, it's just ridiculous. When I had a smaller closet I would plant 6 or 7 seeds directly into the pots I would harvest in, thinking 5 would pop, maybe 3 males, and I would end up with 2 good females per pot. But as you can see by the pictures, I didn't have 12 7 gallon pots.....that was a fine strategy for then.

Now I want 12 pots, one bigger, taller female per pot. (besides a few overflows, a few males...). So I need to be more precise with the process. So.....paper towel method will be added.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
oh shit, was just joking tho. 86 outside by me..
I know that.... ;)

86 is a little much for me. I've had enough of New York City summers. 96 and 90% humidity used to be rare heat waves in July and August. Now it more often than not gets near or above 90 from June to September. There are nights it's 3am and still 80, with the milluons of tons of concrete and asphalt radiating heat right back, onky for it to start all ovet again the next day..... :(

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
1 HLG Scorpion Diablo and 1 Scorpion Rspec for the main closet. Sola-cure UVB light coming. Small LED grow lights are for seedlings. I'm probably going to buy 1 more powerful LED board for outside the closet, overflow, Autos, males.......might go with a different company just to try something different.

20230123 175758
20230123 175809
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

$185 on Am*zon for a couple more days with Code EGS2369N
View attachment 1322879
this looks china af bro, china makes product that need replacing as soon as that warranty drops. i wouldnt go with this light
some comments,
''Wish I could say the light is decent, but I can't. It's trash. I've wasted almost $500, don't make the same mistake. Look elsewhere!''
''I'm just worried that it won't last my first grow.''
''Would not recommend this item''
''The product stops working after 8 months garbage.''

SSgrower

SSgrower

I like to take it back......way, way back. ;)

I need to tackle popping in paper towels because I can't plant 50 cups, it's just ridiculous. When I had a smaller closet I would plant 6 or 7 seeds directly into the pots I would harvest in, thinking 5 would pop, maybe 3 males, and I would end up with 2 good females per pot. But as you can see by the pictures, I didn't have 12 7 gallon pots.....that was a fine strategy for then.

Now I want 12 pots, one bigger, taller female per pot. (besides a few overflows, a few males...). So I need to be more precise with the process. So.....paper towel method will be added.
I was "Dormant" for 30 myself and when I popped back up Coco/perlite intrigued my inquisitive mind and I was Off again "Indoors" in a tent no less, in Texas! Cheers & mad respect SS

Antherman

Antherman

1 HLG Scorpion Diablo and 1 Scorpion Rspec for the main closet. Sola-cure UVB light coming. Small LED grow lights are for seedlings. I'm probably going to buy 1 more powerful LED board for outside the closet, overflow, Autos, males.......might go with a different company just to try something different.
Good day all.
Certainly looks like you're moving in all the right directions...........wait for it,...but....in thirty years you may have misplaced the memory of floral aroma that twelve plus maturing, Ripening, well cared for terpene packed cannabis bushes can share.
Its early enough in the process that research can be done and the chosen mechanics can be installed (difficult to do around dank plants in full flower). Good beyond adequate charcoal filter/fan setup will be much appreciated by that long suffering lady of yours and you too when you DONT see foot or even car traffic S L O W I N G D O W N to go past your house. My go to for such things is HTG Supply, there are many others but their customer service sells the company. Good luck. Careful on the UVB, I've used T-5 UVB's for years ten minutes twice a day through flower (bonus, seems to croak fungus gnats. :) ).

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
this looks china af bro, china makes product that need replacing as soon as that warranty drops. i wouldnt go with this light
some comments,
''Wish I could say the light is decent, but I can't. It's trash. I've wasted almost $500, don't make the same mistake. Look elsewhere!''
''I'm just worried that it won't last my first grow.''
''Would not recommend this item''
''The product stops working after 8 months garbage.''
Yeah I'd much rather go with one of the top 3 companies we know.....no one wants to spend a lot on anything, but the light is the most important part besides the seeds. It's an investment. Quality build, safety, how long it lasts.....these things are important. Even at $800 for a light, you're talking an extra 50 bucks per grow, maybe?

Quality

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Good day all.
Certainly looks like you're moving in all the right directions...........wait for it,...but....in thirty years you may have misplaced the memory of floral aroma that twelve plus maturing, Ripening, well cared for terpene packed cannabis bushes can share.
Its early enough in the process that research can be done and the chosen mechanics can be installed (difficult to do around dank plants in full flower). Good beyond adequate charcoal filter/fan setup will be much appreciated by that long suffering lady of yours and you too when you DONT see foot or even car traffic S L O W I N G D O W N to go past your house. My go to for such things is HTG Supply, there are many others but their customer service sells the company. Good luck. Careful on the UVB, I've used T-5 UVB's for years ten minutes twice a day through flower (bonus, seems to croak fungus gnats. :) ).
Believe me.......the smell of original Skunk #1 is etched in my memory. I will never forget it. And maybe 30 years ago the smell of a good closet garden was something I wanted to keep in check.......but today.....I'm long ihto adulthood, and the wife is just as much a fan of my work and good weed as anyone. We have no interest in any filtration whatsoever. My basement/boiler room is tucked nicely away, I have no close neighbors or these days the law to fear, it's a legal state, and I want to enjoy every bit of it. ;)

Madbud

Madbud

Yeah I'd much rather go with one of the top 3 companies we know.....no one wants to spend a lot on anything, but the light is the most important part besides the seeds. It's an investment. Quality build, safety, how long it lasts.....these things are important. Even at $800 for a light, you're talking an extra 50 bucks per grow, maybe?

Quality
The reviews on the new model are mixed. I’ve read growlogs with Updayday or i wouldn’t have recommended it as a cheap alternative. I don’t know any diodes manufactured in the US, just lights assembled here, like the big three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom