Ok, another myth to bust.

• Thread starter DeJaVu Seeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Making seeds with autoflowering plants?

• Spray one branch, on one plant, and self pollinate...make S1 seeds.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Spray one PLANT, and use it to pollinate other plants...make R1 seeds.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Does not matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I am new to autoflowers. I am getting mixed information on selfing autoflowering plants.

Here is the myth: If you self pollinate an autoflower, then the S1 progeny will have a high chance of going hermie.

Except for a small group of experienced growers who tell me, that autoflowers are essentially IBL, and you HAVE to self them because if you don't you will get too much variation.

So, let's say I have 3 seeds. Let's say I want to make more seeds. Should I...

1. Germinate one seed, spray one branch of that plant, and let it seed itself.

or...

2. Germinate three seeds, spray one plant, and let it seed the other two.

Please only answer if you KNOW from experience. If you present a theory, be kind enough to tell us that it is just a theory.

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

I made only one batch of auto seeds and i did it with self-pollination. They where good seeds and up untill now i had no hermies.

For full disclosure i did it like that because i didn't want to secrifice an other plant for seeds.

And now let's go to the theory!
Common knowledge is that is better to use 2 different plants because of the timing. When you start to spray coloidal silver on your soon soon to be mother-father. There is a long time until the bannanas are ripe to collect. And then you need to polinate the buds that are allredy fully formed and the seed don't have alot of time to develop in to big good seeds. So it's better to colect the pollen and polinate the other plant just in the start of her flowering and after she is done the seeds will be healthy and big!

Moshmen

Moshmen

I made only one batch of auto seeds and i did it with self-pollination. They where good seeds and up untill now i had no hermies.

For full disclosure i did it like that because i didn't want to secrifice an other plant for seeds.

And now let's go to the theory!
Common knowledge is that is better to use 2 different plants because of the timing. When you start to spray coloidal silver on your soon soon to be mother-father. There is a long time until the bannanas are ripe to collect. And then you need to polinate the buds that are allredy fully formed and the seed don't have alot of time to develop in to big good seeds. So it's better to colect the pollen and polinate the other plant just in the start of her flowering and after she is done the seeds will be healthy and big!
What about starting a batch of regular auto seeds will the male mature before the female just like the photo strains ?

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

The only Auto I have experience with is Lowryder 2. They were both done so fast, that I really couldn't tell if the male started before the female, or simultaneously. It was unbelievable. I ended up with hundreds of seeds though.

I separated the smallest female out, so I could sample the smoke. I had one male and three females for seed production. I still have seeds from all three females (in separate bags, of course. That was over 10 years ago, and they are still viable over 90%.

Top Bottom