Oklahoma-police Can Now Empty Your Bank Account, Credit Cards Without Proving Crime

• Thread starter SpiderK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpiderK

SpiderK

Animals police horse dog old ladies rban93 low

OHP Uses New Device To Seize Money During Traffic Stops

OKLAHOMA CITY -

You may have heard of civil asset forfeiture.

That's where police can seize your property and cash without first proving you committed a crime; without a warrant and without arresting you, as long as they suspect that your property is somehow tied to a crime.

Now, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a device that also allows them to seize money in your bank account or on prepaid cards. It's called an ERAD, or Electronic Recovery and Access to Data machine, and state police began using 16 of them last month.

Here's how it works. If a trooper suspects you may have money tied to some type of crime, the highway patrol can scan any cards you have and seize the money.

"We're gonna look for different factors in the way that you're acting,” Oklahoma Highway Patrol Lt. John Vincent said. “We're gonna look for if there's a difference in your story. If there's someway that we can prove that you're falsifying information to us about your business." Troopers insist this isn't just about seizing cash.

"I know that a lot of people are just going to focus on the seizing money. That's a very small thing that' s happening now. The largest part that we have found ... the biggest benefit has been the identity theft," Vincent said. "If you can prove can prove that you have a legitimate reason to have that money it will be given back to you. And we've done that in the past," Vincent said about any money seized. State Sen. Kyle Loveless, R-Oklahoma City, said that removes due process and the belief that a suspect is presumed innocent until proven guilty. He said we've already seen cases in Oklahoma where police are abusing the system.

"We've seen single mom's stuff be taken, a cancer survivor his drugs taken, we saw a Christian band being taken. We've seen innocent people's stuff being taken. We've seen where the money goes and how it's been misspent," Loveless said.

Loveless plans to introduce legislation next session that would require a conviction before any assets could be seized. "If I had to err on the side of one side versus the other, I would err on the side of the Constitution,” Loveless said. “And I think that's what we need to do."

News 9 obtained a copy of the contract with the state.

It shows the state is paying ERAD Group Inc., $5,000 for the software and scanners, then 7.7 percent of all the cash the highway patrol seizes.

http://www.news9.com/story/32168555...e-money-used-during-the-commission-of-a-crime

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Civil forfeiture has always been like that. Read up on it. They basically take your house or bank account to court. Yeah really.

SpiderK

SpiderK

This is nothing new ......

But the fact they can empty accounts on the roadside in real-time is new because of advancements in technology.

So one must question said technology when getting " a little dirty ". They are scanning car plates in colorado ....... I know for a fact shipments by car / trucks coming off the west coast are getting nabbed by police as they come east at a much higher clip in nebraska, iowa, k.c, ohio ...... I had a friend who's family was moving h, 90-100 kilo's at a time out of mexico, texas into chicago. In court it came out they could listen to conversations in his mothers house between brothers as they sat at kitchen table .... They did this even through the phone that was hung up on the wall not in use, this was in the early 90's ..... So just think what they can do in 2016. This is the reason I stay on top of this crap .....

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I'm glad im.a cash guy. I only put enough cash in my bank to pay bills, otherwise I keep a 3.00 balance. Lol. F u Leo
Good call! When I was pulled over in Mo. They stole 10 grand from me driving west because I had 2 grams of weed with me. They wanted to steal my new car but bit was in my girlfriends name at the time. LoL they through me in jail for 24 hours while they did a deeper search on my car. When they booked they took my Wallet so they could run my cards leaving me in the middle of mo. With no cash they also stole my phone and I pad. Was a nightmare, they stuck my debit cards in the car that was impounded that I couldn't get to till my girl flew out :(

MeJuana

MeJuana

The police have always been the biggest criminals in this country. I was arrested when I was 16 and held for 3 months because I was dating the daughter of a lady who was dating a police officer. She told me stay away, I told her to f off. I went to juvi for 3 months on a trumped up rape charge, turns out the girl was a virgin and it was dropped. 3 months for vaginal rape and the girl was a virgin! thank god she was that was virgin that was almost the end of my life!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

This is nothing new ......

But the fact they can empty accounts on the roadside in real-time is new because of advancements in technology.

So one must question said technology when getting " a little dirty ". They are scanning car plates in colorado ....... I know for a fact shipments by car / trucks coming off the west coast are getting nabbed by police as they come east at a much higher clip in nebraska, iowa, k.c, ohio ...... I had a friend who's family was moving h, 90-100 kilo's at a time out of mexico, texas into chicago. In court it came out they could listen to conversations in his mothers house between brothers as they sat at kitchen table .... They did this even through the phone that was hung up on the wall not in use, this was in the early 90's ..... So just think what they can do in 2016. This is the reason I stay on top of this crap .....
All metro jurisdictions, I've seen Douglas, use technology that scans license plates for wants and warrants, stolen or unregistered etc. This is nothing new and asset forfeiture is still going on. I believe the question should be why, but the reason we don't hear about it is simple and universal: money.
Why no outrage? Money.
Why no public outcry? Money.
Why does this continue? Apathy and purposeful ignorance. How do we fix those? How do we make non smokers or non greenies care about asset taking?

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

SpiderK, you might want to sit down. I am hearing rumblings at the Colorado DOI that Colorado Insurance carriers may be required to change grandfathered plans to new, ACA-compliant plans, grandfathered or not. This is going to be a nightmare for my individual block of business considering what we've been told and sold over and over again. One more notch in the obamacare takeover headboard, one more reason for liberals to argue for 'intervention' by the government and for the R's as well.

Carriers are pulling out of the market left and right, and the carriers that leave like Colorado Health OP, existing carriers had to pay unpaid claims for clients that weren't theirs.

Get ready for $500 copays for high cost drugs. Can't put blame on any one person or entity, there are many hands in the cookie jar. The practice of defensive medicine, the high cost of malpractice insurance, the higher utilization of providers that have and maintain expensive testing, the unaffordability of premiums and claims, longer waits due to fewer doctors entering the market, low reimbursements affect which carriers providers work with.

Or, prepare to part with 2% of your annual income to go along with your grandfathered plan.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
SpiderK, you might want to sit down. I am hearing rumblings at the Colorado DOI that Colorado Insurance carriers may be required to change grandfathered plans to new, ACA-compliant plans, grandfathered or not. This is going to be a nightmare for my individual block of business considering what we've been told and sold over and over again. One more notch in the obamacare takeover headboard, one more reason for liberals to argue for 'intervention' by the government and for the R's as well.

Carriers are pulling out of the market left and right, and the carriers that leave like Colorado Health OP, existing carriers had to pay unpaid claims for clients that weren't theirs.

Get ready for $500 copays for high cost drugs. Can't put blame on any one person or entity, there are many hands in the cookie jar. The practice of defensive medicine, the high cost of malpractice insurance, the higher utilization of providers that have and maintain expensive testing, the unaffordability of premiums and claims, longer waits due to fewer doctors entering the market, low reimbursements affect which carriers providers work with.

Or, prepare to part with 2% of your annual income to go along with your grandfathered plan.
So your an insurance agent?

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

So your an insurance agent?
I don't think you are talking shit so I am happy to describe what it is that I do.

In the profession we are called producers. I am in the employee benefits industry, which encompasses more than insurance. I handle personal and commercial lines for groups and individuals, health, life, dental, AD&D, a bit of medicare, etc. No auto, homeowner or anything like that. I think 'agent' implies that I work for insurance companies, which couldn't be further from the truth, but I don't care to debate labels. We are advocates for our clients.

It is frustrating these days with all of the political crap thrown into the mix, and we are just now 'adjusting' to the Affordable Care Act in its fully implemented glory. I don't hold any one person or entity responsible for our healthcare crisis, there is plenty of blame to go around, and everyone has an agenda.

I have the good luck in that I have been involved in both the insurance industry and the growing industry. Our general agency is one of the larger producers in Colorado, and we insure everyone from individuals, self employed caregivers or growers, to MMC's who finally have an avenue that they never had before to get insurance they might not be able to get otherwise.

I try and keep up with our ongoing water issues in this state as it relates to myself and my clients. It's a shit show from top to bottom.

I don't get into much debate here as I prefer to keep the peace, but I get frustrated when I hear people incorrectly place blame where it doesn't belong, and when things are posted that are inaccurate. I find fault when people are purposefully ignorant or when blame is cast on a single 'thing', be it person, legislation, increased utilization, rate increases, etc. Where we stand right now is a result of a bunch of little things, not a single piece of legislation. It's much bigger than that, and playing partisan politics is a complete waste of time. This stuff is interesting to talk about to me, but the political slant is tired in my view.

There's your insurance agent answer right there. CMA

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I don't think you are talking shit so I am happy to describe what it is that I do.

In the profession we are called producers. I am in the employee benefits industry, which encompasses more than insurance. I handle personal and commercial lines for groups and individuals, health, life, dental, AD&D, a bit of medicare, etc. No auto, homeowner or anything like that. I think 'agent' implies that I work for insurance companies, which couldn't be further from the truth, but I don't care to debate labels. We are advocates for our clients.

It is frustrating these days with all of the political crap thrown into the mix, and we are just now 'adjusting' to the Affordable Care Act in its fully implemented glory. I don't hold any one person or entity responsible for our healthcare crisis, there is plenty of blame to go around, and everyone has an agenda.

I have the good luck in that I have been involved in both the insurance industry and the growing industry. Our general agency is one of the larger producers in Colorado, and we insure everyone from individuals, self employed caregivers or growers, to MMC's who finally have an avenue that they never had before to get insurance they might not be able to get otherwise.

I try and keep up with our ongoing water issues in this state as it relates to myself and my clients. It's a shit show from top to bottom.

I don't get into much debate here as I prefer to keep the peace, but I get frustrated when I hear people incorrectly place blame where it doesn't belong, and when things are posted that are inaccurate. I find fault when people are purposefully ignorant or when blame is cast on a single 'thing', be it person, legislation, increased utilization, rate increases, etc. Where we stand right now is a result of a bunch of little things, not a single piece of legislation. It's much bigger than that, and playing partisan politics is a complete waste of time. This stuff is interesting to talk about to me, but the political slant is tired in my view.

There's your insurance agent answer right there. CMA
:D Thanks I was just curious and considering where ya live I figured you had a decent job.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

:D Thanks I was just curious and considering where ya live I figured you had a decent job.
I am very fortunate to say the least, to have or have had access to fairly important current issues in our state- Water, Healthcare, Real Estate, Herb, other shiz. The level of discourse, the lack of empathy or civility, and the lack of clear understanding is frustrating to me. I don't enjoy politics as it relates to our two parties, I think people should be able to discuss things that matter or affect them without it being us vs them, D vs R, or whatever.

It boggles the mind that Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are our two nominees. It's like the beginning of a horribly unfunny joke. There is nothing about this that makes any sense to me, but then I remember that politicians are piles of shit and nothing more.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

>> AD&D

Never pegged you for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons sort.

:)
Magic: the Gathering

Level 48 Paladin, bitches.

I have no idea what any of that means. Although accidental death and dismemberment would probably be pretty common with d&d.

Top Bottom