old seeds sprouting methods

• Thread starter buddhaBudman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I found some old seeds (probably 5 years). I realize they very likely won't be viable but I thought I'd give it a shot instead of tossing them. Last time I sprouted I think I did the ziploc bag with moist paper towels. I just read another method that uses two inverted plates. Any tips or suggestions for your preferred seeds sprouting methods?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I found some old seeds (probably 5 years). I realize they very likely won't be viable but I thought I'd give it a shot instead of tossing them. Last time I sprouted I think I did the ziploc bag with moist paper towels. I just read another method that uses two inverted plates. Any tips or suggestions for your preferred seeds sprouting methods?

5 year old seeds are not that old. I still get good germination from packs that old.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You can do the paper towel zip lock I think it’s a good way , but I just pop them to jiffy plugs , did 5 of my Strawberry Lights #1 that way 4 out 5 up n about , go with a way that you think is the best way just be careful if you do paper towel be very gentle with the sprouted seed when putting it in the small pot . Od .

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

You can do the paper towel zip lock I think it’s a good way , but I just pop them to jiffy plugs , did 5 of my Strawberry Lights #1 that way 4 out 5 up n about , go with a way that you think is the best way just be careful if you do paper towel be very gentle with the sprouted seed when putting it in the small pot . Od .
I think this may have been the reason I was thinking to avoid the towel method. I tried it and then read that it can be tricky not shocking that little sprout.

chemistry

chemistry

Now that I think about it I think I did mine directly into rockwool. I'll keep my eye out for those root riot cubes. Looks like a good product.

Seeds can be a bitch in rockwool, for some reason, some get tangled in the wool, don't know if anyone else has found this? So I started with the Root Riot cubes the beginning of last year, never looked back.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's great news! Can I ask what your preferred sprouting method is?

In a folded moist coffee filter in an open sandwich baggie inside a dark container on a heat mat set to 78 degrees farenheight.

Then when taprooted 1/8” to 1/4” planted tap root up in a party cup of potting soil watered in with unadjusted tap water to help keep ph up and activate the lime.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Seeds can be a bitch in rockwool, for some reason, some get tangled in the wool, don't know if anyone else has found this? So I started with the Root Riot cubes the beginning of last year, never looked back.
Yes , I agree , I've seen many rock wool seed starts fail , might not be a bad idea to split them if you prefer rock wool for whatever reason , then that way you can open em up and re orient the seed I if it gets caught up going haywire ......

dire wolf

dire wolf

In a folded moist coffee filter in an open sandwich baggie inside a dark container on a heat mat set to 78 degrees farenheight.

Then when taprooted 1/8” to 1/4” planted tap root up in a party cup of potting soil watered in with unadjusted tap water to help keep ph up and activate the lime.
But look at this ...... Another experienced grower using the method I prefer ......
Hmmm

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But look at this ...... Another experienced grower using the method I prefer ......
Hmmm

I think we all end up doing variations of the same thing after enough trial and error. The fact that i do stuff like much more experienced growers like yourself gives me confidence.

dire wolf

dire wolf

5 year old seeds should sprout no problem ......

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

5 year old seeds should sprout no problem ......
Interesting. I thought the virility of most seeds falls abruptly after 5 years. But I haven't researched much. That's from a quick google earlier I did which was not specifically for cannabis. What in your experience, is the max storage time cannabis seeds can reliably endure before degrading significantly (regular storage not a Svalbard Global Seed Vault level)?

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

"Locally mined coal provides power for refrigeration units that further cool the seeds to the internationally recommended standard of −18 °C (−0.4 °F)." -Wow that's cold. Basically some sort of organic stasis.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Interesting. I thought the virility of most seeds falls abruptly after 5 years. But I haven't researched much. That's from a quick google earlier I did which was not specifically for cannabis. What in your experience, is the max storage time cannabis seeds can reliably endure before degrading significantly (regular storage not a Svalbard Global Seed Vault level)?
Hey bud , I move my seeds along quickly or give them to friends , but I did give a buddy 15 year old seeds last year and I think almost all germinated , they were bog sour bubble I think , and some older strains from seed bay days , I think some early tga, green avenger seeds...
Sub cool , and serious seeds ak 47 , they all germinated
That's all I know about germinating old seed......

Mrb53

Mrb53

Pretty much everyone is close to the same method for germination...For old seeds, I do the following...
Put them in the fridge a few days...mimics nature. seeds fall at end of season, dormant for the winter, sprout in the spring...
I add azomite (my preferred ) or another moisture controlling agent (sil dioxide). Create a soak for your seeds...old seeds sometime have utilized the starch and sugars store in the seed pod so after a slight scruff (file, snadpaper - something to mar the waxy coating), sterilization -add 30 % of H2O2 (3% peroxide) to a 50/50 mixture of milk and water..(milk supplies the sugars). soak for at least 12 to maybe 24 hours...Plates, baggies...same thing. I love the UNBLEACHED coffee filters - no bleach, no acid...and place seed in that - taps do not get caught / stuck in the fibers, place that in the dampened paper towel, place that in a sealed baggie...stick it in the closet. Most of us maintain our homes at around 76°f / 24-25°c...and that is PERFECT for sprouting...I am not a fan of heated mats...Heat cooks the shoots...A viable seed should pop and have root / taps by the 4th or 5th day latest...if not, sorry charlie

Top Bottom