Old Stems - If I can get roots to pop, then what?

• Thread starter HunterBrandon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

On the pheno-hunting trail, as luck would have it, I find maybe not "the" but "a" HOLY GRAIL level strain and I kill the mother and the last clone. I managed to get two plants flowered, the plant produces very small popcorn buds, minimal yielding strain, figured it was going to be junk until I tried it. So fast forward a bit, thought of trying to re-veg the second plant but it was in too rough shape and took forever to finish due to now corrected system problems. So, on a whim, I cut a few branch sections, not even tops, well after harvest but left a few tiny buds, stuck these big branches in water with some K-L-N rooting hormone and son of a gun if they aren't showing white rooting dots. But there's nothing up top to indicate any life. If the roots do appear, what do I do next if there's no greenery above? Are there any snake oils out there for this situation that would make it snap back a bit once the roots are actually there?

Old stems   if i can get roots to pop then what
Old stems   if i can get roots to pop then what 2
AKgrow

AKgrow

There are always more strains to try, I'd worry more about getting that system dialed in to produce the best quality. There is lots of knowledge here, what kind of problems were you having?

growsince79

growsince79

Once you get roots plant it in good soil and give 18hrs light. I have a similar thing going now. Trying to clone 2 weeks before harvest.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

There are always more strains to try, I'd worry more about getting that system dialed in to produce the best quality. There is lots of knowledge here, what kind of problems were you having?
The main problem has been root rot. Things that were out of wack that caused the root rot were a combination of things (ambient tent temp too low, too much and too close lights), system was working great through 117-degree summer (with less lights and much higher ambient temps), then I got the bright idea to try peat pellets instead of rockwool for seedlings. That's when I got root rot and it has been hell to get rid of. I have a progressive system so I'm working it out. The seedlings now look good, the veg tent looks better root wise but still has brown with new white, but the older flower tent plants are still rotting like champs. I'm using Hydroguard and Garden Friendly and Orca plus today I'm going to try Pond-Zyme for the first time, but just in the flower tent. Those roots are so nasty the plants might as well become science experiments at this point. Bleach next? Rid-X? Might as well see what happens, that's how you know.

What seems weird to me is that I for years (in the HPS days) I had a low water level so there was say 2 inches of water on the bottom of a 5-gal DWC with a standard 6" net pot, so that's pretty much max roots out of water situation, and I never had a problem. Had big white root balls. Now all of a sudden, if any roots are out of the water line, they turn brown and the whole thing starts rotting. I shouldn't have to keep the water level right up to the bottom of the net pot. Something is different and I can't figure it out. I'm not using SM-90 like I used to but plan to get some on the next store trip. Could that be making a big difference? For reference I'm using FloraFlex, just switched from Advanced a few months back, also some cal-mag, potassium silicate, and the Hydroguard etc.
IMG 4980
IMG 4981
IMG 4983
IMG 4984

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I am a professional when combating root rot in live systems. Got my training here and while the fix looks challenging, it should be easy for ya.

You need to make a new batch of nutrients with a double dose of hydroguard. I wouldnt add the orca or the garden friendly bacteria. Fill the bucket with solution as high as you can, fill it. . all the way until every single root is submerged. (dont allow the roots to touch the new solution until you clean them) Then take the plant to tub, lightly rinse room temp water from tap. Massage roots until they are not slimy. My main concern would be that hardball at the top. Nutrients need to flow through that root mass that is clumped together, especially the beneficial bacteria, so make sure you work that area with your fingers. When your done bring the plant back and put it in your clean solution. Then I would wrap a towel around your entire bucket to stop any light leaks from going in, and to insulate it better. Next would be to lower your water temps, im assuming they are above 75? If not your good. .but for now, until your root rot is gone, keep them roots submerged. I see your wanting a waterfall, yet unfortunately due to the root rot it would be better to just leave it as a top feed recirc system. generally people dont stick pumps in buckets lol. Unless that is all of that is piped to a res. Anyways, if you want it to be fixed its easy. I always keep my netpots fully submerged and dont even check my roots lol. . .that confident. Last time I looked at my roots was in one bucket over a month ago and im 3 months in.

Lemme know if you need more help, easy fix.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

I am a professional when combating root rot in live systems. Got my training here and while the fix looks challenging, it should be easy for ya.

You need to make a new batch of nutrients with a double dose of hydroguard. I wouldnt add the orca or the garden friendly bacteria. Fill the bucket with solution as high as you can, fill it. . all the way until every single root is submerged. (dont allow the roots to touch the new solution until you clean them) Then take the plant to tub, lightly rinse room temp water from tap. Massage roots until they are not slimy. My main concern would be that hardball at the top. Nutrients need to flow through that root mass that is clumped together, especially the beneficial bacteria, so make sure you work that area with your fingers. When your done bring the plant back and put it in your clean solution. Then I would wrap a towel around your entire bucket to stop any light leaks from going in, and to insulate it better. Next would be to lower your water temps, im assuming they are above 75? If not your good. .but for now, until your root rot is gone, keep them roots submerged. I see your wanting a waterfall, yet unfortunately due to the root rot it would be better to just leave it as a top feed recirc system. generally people dont stick pumps in buckets lol. Unless that is all of that is piped to a res. Anyways, if you want it to be fixed its easy. I always keep my netpots fully submerged and dont even check my roots lol. . .that confident. Last time I looked at my roots was in one bucket over a month ago and im 3 months in.

Lemme know if you need more help, easy fix.
Thank you Cashmeh, just the advice I'm looking for. So, for reference my res temps are around 70 in the res which is below the buckets. I have my tents on platforms so they are above the res. There's a pump in the res on a timer, 3 mins on, about 8 mins off, gravity drain back to res. Res is a 17-gal tote feeding 3, 5-gal buckets. Temps in the buckets internal res is probably 73 which is not great. I don't even want to look since there's nothing, I can do about it. I'm about to redo the whole thing and will raise the platforms higher and lower the buckets through the floor so that only the top is in the heat of the tent. Then I can keep my outer room cool and I think I'll have the temps dialed in. I don't want to incorporate a chiller, too much hassle and I don't have the space. If it was a commercial grow that would be different but it's just for me.

Thanks again, going to do everything you said.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thank you Cashmeh, just the advice I'm looking for. So, for reference my res temps are around 70 in the res which is below the buckets. I have my tents on platforms so they are above the res. There's a pump in the res on a timer, 3 mins on, about 8 mins off, gravity drain back to res. Res is a 17-gal tote feeding 3, 5-gal buckets. Temps in the buckets internal res is probably 73 which is not great. I don't even want to look since there's nothing, I can do about it. I'm about to redo the whole thing and will raise the platforms higher and lower the buckets through the floor so that only the top is in the heat of the tent. Then I can keep my outer room cool and I think I'll have the temps dialed in. I don't want to incorporate a chiller, too much hassle and I don't have the space. If it was a commercial grow that would be different but it's just for me.

Thanks again, going to do everything you said.
Since you have plumbing, id also cover all of it in towels. The light leaks are going to be your biggest threat. 72 to 73 is perfect and what I try to shoot for, but if you have any light leaks, root rot will be horrible. So first step is to clean and treat the rot, then its easy to prevent it once you understand it. Alot of people dont keep the roots submerged, I do. To those experiencing root rot, its a must I feel. Once you get the rot under control you can pratice with lowering the levels to see how it effects growth. Im sure you will do fine, sounds like you have no other choice.

Top Bottom