On your mark, get set, Chop... Hold on, gotta ask fellow Farmers

• Thread starter Santa.ClausHOHOHO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

It has been raining for 3 or 4 days. I have been fighting off Leaf Septoria, Fearing Bud Rot as well. Trellis are all over the place holding these up, wet and heavy.
My new scope came in the mail today. Much to my surprise I have beautiful amber colors in my scope. But, is it enough to justify chopping. The one photo is the Tricombs on a leaf, reading in here the tri's on a leaf will turn Amber first. I am fearing BUD ROT. Also considering a partial harvest, doing the upper colas and let the sides put on some more weight and maybe ripen up a bit more. One minute I was ready to chop um all, then then next minute I am gonna wait another 10 days, now I thinking a partial.
Tomorrow mostly sunny with rain in the afternoon, then Saturday morning rain, then clearing up Sunday n Monday. I have been keeping a real close eye on them for Bud Rot. No signs. I have been keeping the Leaf Septoria at bay and not letting it creep into the buds. The photos were taken while the plant was soaking wet. My mind is racing, just not 100% sure WTF to do...

Tricombs 1
Tricombs 2

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

There are more than enough amber trichomes to justify chopping, but do you have pics of the entire plants and buds?

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

I can take updated photos in the morning. I have some from 6 days ago. They have fattened up since.

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Woke up late.
Here are few photos of the plants after 3 days of RAINS. I have not even shook um off yet this morning. Still on first cup of Java.
I did not take a photo of my Mendo Kush, but she took a beating.
I'm liking the Amber color and the nice Milky/ Cloudy Tri's. They have a Great smell and appearance. I am thinking the only reason to let them continue on is to bulk up more. I'm not into heavy couch lock type affect. Don't rail on me to hard for my trellis job, more or less a first timer. Kinda said fkit, just do it.
Of course there is a pride side to all of us that like to grow nice HUGE Colas and hold them up and say look at the fucker. But I can put that aside, LOL.
Mostly cloudy sky's today with periods of rain over night into Saturday morning. Then sunny for several days.
So, roll the dice and go for bulk, Do a partial harvest or complete take down.

Just want to say thanks to all for the help this season so far and great reading. I sit and read a lot of threads that go a bit over my head with some of these indoor grows, you guys know your shit. Some pretty flat out honest reply's , telling fellow Farmers the TRUTH and sometimes that hurts, LOL.

HO-3
Rain 3 days LS
Rain 3 days
Rain 3 days

freezeland2

freezeland2

I would take the tops at least, then defoliate lower a bit so you can gauge if you want to let those lower buds mature more or just whack all of it.

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

They sure are pretty in the mornings. If I chop, I'm sure gonna miss um.
I scruff up the soil every morning, pick a leaf or two off every morning, inspect them, shoo away a bug or two and yep I talk to them
I miss my Praying Mantis, have not seen her in a couple week. She was Gorgeous. Personally I think she should get photo of the Month., HINT
The drying area is all prepped and ready.

Mantis 1
Mantis 2
Mantis 3
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

FYI…the chief grower at a local MA dispensary had a 4-hr Q&A session on growing techniques. This is the first seminar I heard of so I jumped on it and showed up at the very start and I was the only one there for 25 minutes and got some great one/on-one time with him. Although the dispensary grows indoors he has personally grown outdoors in the past and gave me LOTS of info on growing and harvesting that applies to any grow. Many of the growers on this forum are recommending many of his suggestions but some have other methods he does not recommend (like washing buds in dilute H2O2 baths prior to drying and WET TRIMMING). Because trichome color is something we always use in determining ripeness, I asked him what he considers a ripe trichome and he said when 70% are milky and the 30% are clear they harvest because the 30% clear turn milky during the drying process. He suggested avoiding amber trichomes because of the couch lock effect, unless you want that effect.

So if you don’t want heavy couch lock effect, which comes from amber trichomes, you should harvest most or all of the plants after your period of sunny weather. But you should shake them after rains stop to knock off water first and pull the large plate leaves before chopping.

He said at harvest time they pull all large leaves on the growing plant then they chop whole plant at ground level and suspend plant upside down and dry for about 2 weeks in room at 50% humidity (prevents mold growth) and 60-65 F (allows for slower drying) with both conditions enabling plants to consume remaining nutrients and carbohydrates making for smoother tasting smoke. Obviously if you don’t have room to hang whole plants I think hanging big branches will do. He also said to try to keep buds dry starting in 3rd week. If you can cover outdoor buds from rain you should. They stop foliar feeding after 3rd week. He recommended flushing nutrients if growing in soil for two weeks prior to harvest then limit watering in final two weeks saying that this process stresses the plants to increase trichomes and terpene production.

After hearing his suggestions I will be making changes to my 2022 grow. Good luck on your grow and harvest.

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

FYI…the chief grower at a local MA dispensary had a 4-hr Q&A session on growing techniques. This is the first seminar I heard of so I jumped on it and showed up at the very start and I was the only one there for 25 minutes and got some great one/on-one time with him. Although the dispensary grows indoors he has personally grown outdoors in the past and gave me LOTS of info on growing and harvesting that applies to any grow. Many of the growers on this forum are recommending many of his suggestions but some have other methods he does not recommend (like washing buds in dilute H2O2 baths prior to drying and WET TRIMMING). Because trichome color is something we always use in determining ripeness, I asked him what he considers a ripe trichome and he said when 70% are milky and the 30% are clear they harvest because the 30% clear turn milky during the drying process. He suggested avoiding amber trichomes because of the couch lock effect, unless you want that effect.

So if you don’t want heavy couch lock effect, which comes from amber trichomes, you should harvest most or all of the plants after your period of sunny weather. But you should shake them after rains stop to knock off water first and pull the large plate leaves before chopping.

He said at harvest time they pull all large leaves on the growing plant then they chop whole plant at ground level and suspend plant upside down and dry for about 2 weeks in room at 50% humidity (prevents mold growth) and 60-65 F (allows for slower drying) with both conditions enabling plants to consume remaining nutrients and carbohydrates making for smoother tasting smoke. Obviously if you don’t have room to hang whole plants I think hanging big branches will do. He also said to try to keep buds dry starting in 3rd week. If you can cover outdoor buds from rain you should. They stop foliar feeding after 3rd week. He recommended flushing nutrients if growing in soil for two weeks prior to harvest then limit watering in final two weeks saying that this process stresses the plants to increase trichomes and terpene production.

After hearing his suggestions I will be making changes to my 2022 grow. Good luck on your grow and harvest.
Great post to this thread. I truly hope others read that, very informative. Thanks for taking the time to write that. Sitting here with my better half discussing this thread and we now have a game plan.

HO-3

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

If you are not seeing bud rot, what are you stressing out about?

They look like 10 more days-ish from the whole plant picture. Leaf and top trichomes are not a good indicator of maturity.

I would give it ten more days (or as many as you can before the next rain cycle) and take all the top colas and/or ripe buds off every branch. Or take it all if it suits your fancy.

I think your patience will reward you - those plants look pretty darn good right now - my vote is let it ride.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Drought stressing the last two weeks has been around since the genesis of weed growing. Good to see some of the old ways still have some relevant even if some of us old growers don’t. Lol

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Ok, the time has come. I waited another 12 days. Yep, new grower and pretty fkin anxious to harvest. My son settled me down and used the analogy of "no one likes to eat a Pear that's not ripe".
The plants are looking rather beat up, sucking the juice out of every leaf, loosing color and big ole Colas hanging sideways and a lil Droopy.

In the extra 12 days they sure have put on some WEIGHT. Plus the Tricombs have plumped up a lot and are nice and cloudy/milky with a good amount of Amber.

He works for a huge outfit and says we will knock out the bulk of the wet trim in no time, he and his girl friend are coming over this morning to show the old man how is done. Got 12 monster we are doing today. Well, 8 of the 12 are ready. Gonna let the others go another week. Different strains are not ready yet.

Got the harvest area all prepped, drying racks are ready and clean. Been running the dehumidifier, I'm at 65% and temps are good at 70 with slight air flow.

I will get more photos of these fat Colas as the day moves along and post tonight. Waiting for daybreak to go out and shake the Dew one last time on my rather large Gorilla ZkittleZ.

HO-3

She is ready

Latest posts

Top Bottom