Once you go coco... err. Help me design a small DTW coco system.

• Thread starter jguit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
Pretty much what I use for 15-20 emmiters. Maybe a bit overkill bit I don't see why it wouldn't.
Overkill is fine! Haha

Are there any concerns of sediment gunking up these RV type pumps and causing them to fail?

My only reservation is that these pumps seem loud!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is how I had mine running. Going to make some changes when I setup this week for the next grow. Just for ease of plant access.

Overkill is fine! Haha

Are there any concerns of sediment gunking up these RV type pumps and causing them to fail?

No diaphram pumps take tons of abuse. That part of the reason I went that route. The other is they have pressure.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Overkill is fine! Haha

And yea they are fucking loud... im in a sealed insulated room. So I don't hear shit but make no mistake about it..... they are not quiet

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I may have to rethink using bubbler stakes. That's wayyyyyy too fucking loud. hahaha

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I went ahead and ordered the FloJet Quiet Quad.. Let's see how quiet it is! haha

jguit

jguit

Supporter
If this pump winds up being too loud, what are some other methods of evenly watering the pots that requires less water pressure? 1/4" tubing in a loop with a few barbed tee's? Or am i drifting into overthinking territory?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I keep it super simple for my setup, I run naked ended 1/4" lines. Watering 16 plants from 4 seperate riser manifolds, I found every plant was watered evenly.
To me using bubblers complicates things. Both methods work, depends if you want to keep it simple or make it complex and slightly more efficient.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Maybe incorporate something so that you can easily collect run off water individually from each plant if needed for testing.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Got the Flojet pump that i posted above. It's not super quiet by any means but it certainly isn't loud either. I may build some kind of box to muffle the sound a bit but i'll give it a go first. The pump definitely appears to have plenty of pressure as well!

The 1/4" black tubing i can get locally seems kinda flimsy. Any recommendations for a good quality 1/4" tubing?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Spoke too soon.. Pump loses it's prime/suction! Gonna have to get a replacement. Doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Spoke too soon.. Pump loses it's prime/suction! Gonna have to get a replacement. Doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies.
Imo something is happening. How do you have it set up? Those are self priming.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Imo something is happening. How do you have it set up? Those are self priming.
Pump is next to a 5 gallon bucket, both on the same table. 1/2" flex hose to the bottom of the bucket and connected to the intake of the pump. Flex tube connected to the manifold with 8 drip lines connected and sitting in a sink just to test. Pump will intermittently self prime/lose prime. No leaks on the intake hose but i can hear something funky going on in the head when it loses suction. When it loses prime, it also loses suction on the 1/2" intake hose. I'm fairly certain it's defective. It was an Amazon 'Warehouse' purchase. Used 'like new' my ass! ha!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pump is next to a 5 gallon bucket, both on the same table. 1/2" flex hose to the bottom of the bucket and connected to the intake of the pump. Flex tube connected to the manifold with 8 drip lines connected and sitting in a sink just to test. Pump will intermittently self prime/lose prime. No leaks on the intake hose but i can hear something funky going on in the head when it loses suction. When it loses prime, it also loses suction on the 1/2" intake hose. I'm fairly certain it's defective. It was an Amazon 'Warehouse' purchase. Used 'like new' my ass! ha!
Try lifting the hose and pouring some water into it. Then put it back in and turn on.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Try lifting the hose and pouring some water into it. Then put it back in and turn on.
I can manually prime it, no issues but it makes me nervous that it cant do it itself. Am i a missing something or not correctly understanding the self-priming bit?

I ordered another one and will do some more testing. I planned on having a spare pump and timer on hand anyway, just in case.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can self prime it, no issues but it makes me nervous that it cant do it itself. Am i a missing something or not correctly understanding the self-priming bit?

I ordered another one and will do some more testing. I planned on having a spare pump and timer on hand anyway, just in case.
How long is your intake hose? Can you show a pic?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Sure.. Intake hose is no longer than 3'. Since i manually primed it, i can start and stop it without issue. Maybe it was a fluke? Makes me worried a bit.

IMG 7383
Last edited:
jguit

jguit

Supporter
The replacement pump arrived today and without a doubt, the first pump was faulty. This one self primes without issue, has a much stronger flow and sounds healthier overall. The other one sounds like it was sucking air in the head.

Latest posts

Top Bottom