Once you go coco... err. Help me design a small DTW coco system.

• Thread starter jguit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
Thanks! I see they make 12v and 24v switching relays to switch mains voltage but would need an external power source to control the relay. I was looking for something like the device I posted above which i'm sure is just the same type of relay with some sort of small switching power supply crammed into a junction box.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Next question.. I plan to use a Jain 20 GPH Octa Bubbler for the manifold. I would like to put it on a 10 or 8" riser coming from the middle of the tray. The riser would be 1/2" MPT on both ends. It looks like i would need a 1/2" FPT x 1/2" barbed bulkhead assuming the reservoir pump would use 1/2" flex tubing. It doesnt seem to be a common part. It wouldn't be a problem to use a 1/2" barbed to 'whatever size bulkhead' adapter but i'd like to avoid adapters if i can. Any suggestions for this?

Which brings to to yet another question.. Any suggestions for a reliable reservoir pump for this size setup? The reservoir wont be very far from the tent.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Next question.. I plan to use a Jain 20 GPH Octa Bubbler for the manifold. I would like to put it on a 10 or 8" riser coming from the middle of the tray. The riser would be 1/2" MPT on both ends. It looks like i would need a 1/2" FPT x 1/2" barbed bulkhead assuming the reservoir pump would use 1/2" flex tubing. It doesnt seem to be a common part. It wouldn't be a problem to use a 1/2" barbed to 'whatever size bulkhead' adapter but i'd like to avoid adapters if i can. Any suggestions for this?

Which brings to to yet another question.. Any suggestions for a reliable reservoir pump for this size setup? The reservoir wont be very far from the tent.
Res pumps come with a few adapters usually. I use an ecopump and I piped in sched 40 pvc for all my irrigation lines. I hate flex tubing.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Res pumps come with a few adapters usually. I use an ecopump and I piped in sched 40 pvc for all my irrigation lines. I hate flex tubing.
That's an idea.. The only consideration I have is that I'll be plumbing it into a tent and may need to disassemble it every now and then. Do you use threaded PVC connectors or PVC quick connects of any kind?

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

That's an idea.. The only consideration I have is that I'll be plumbing it into a tent and may need to disassemble it every now and then. Do you use threaded PVC connectors or PVC quick connects of any kind?
for my aquariums I use a mix of pressure couplings and quick connect unions so I can take them apart in pieces to clean. This is where I get all my plumbing from. They have just about everything you would need. A bit more expensive but all the gear is super top end.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Oh yeah, I put unions at every joint. The whole system can be taken down for storage. You can see the threaded unions in the corners of the manifold.
20200301 195145

jguit

jguit

Supporter
For the reservoir pump, I'm looking at a Little Giant 5-MSP or a BlueLine 20 HD external pump. Anyone use these? Are they noisy?

Any pros/cons between an external/submersible pump?

Last edited:
jguit

jguit

Supporter
I think i'll go with the Little Giant 5-MSP as they're available locally and seems to be reliable and cheap! I have a decent handle on how i'm going to layout the plumbing. Reservoir will be in the closet that has the basement ejector pump. Reservoir will have a spigot on the bottom with a hose running into the sump in case i need to dump the reservoir. 1" sched 40 PVC into the tent with a 1" slip -> 1/2" MPT for the Jain 20 GPH Octa bubbler (manifold). Are there any other plumbing considerations besides a small hole in the PVC above the reservoir water line to prevent siphoning? I'm assuming a Y filter wont be necessary for this type of setup?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I always use a y filter, even for naked lines. Those octabubbler manifolds can plug up. Personally, I'd put a filter after the pump.

Only other consideration is 1" line is excessive. I only use 3/4" in my 8x8 room with 24 irrigation sites and its even overkill there.
You'll end up with a lot of solution left in the pipe, or backflowing back into the res, which isn't a catastrophe, but the less solution trapped or backwashing into the res the better imho.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I always use a y filter, even for naked lines. Those octabubbler manifolds can plug up. Personally, I'd put a filter after the pump.

Only other consideration is 1" line is excessive. I only use 3/4" in my 8x8 room with 24 irrigation sites and its even overkill there.
You'll end up with a lot of solution left in the pipe, or backflowing back into the res, which isn't a catastrophe, but the less solution trapped or backwashing into the res the better imho.
Yeah I run 1/2" for up to 20 sites.

jguit

jguit

Supporter

Noted.
Yeah I run 1/2" for up to 20 sites.
Is the Little Giant pump (5-MSP) i'm considering, too much pump for such a small space?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Noted.

Is the Little Giant pump (5-MSP) i'm considering, too much pump for such a small space?
That's a great pump, it will have good static pressure. Octabubblers I believe are regulated so it would help to have enough pressure. I use a flotec version of the same pump for different applications.
But, it is a bit overkill.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
If I went the bubbler stake route, it'd require a pump with a decent amount of pressure, not necessarily high GPH. Would this be correct? Any recommendations?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If I went the bubbler stake route, it'd require a pump with a decent amount of pressure, not necessarily high GPH. Would this be correct? Any recommendations?
That's right. The little giant pump youre looking at would have plenty of pressure to operate drippers/bubbles. Something like my ecopump does not, it has a good gpm but the pressure is nearly non existent. The flow is easily blocked.

Bbonez

Bbonez

So in 1 gal you feed 250ml of nutrient solution. I'd say around 8x a day would be roughly your highest feed frequency but alot depends on your environment.

How can I adjust my environment so I am able to feed that frequently? The most I can feed is 250 MLs 4X a day, at that schedule I get about 15% runoff? Temps are around 84F lights on and 78 lights off. Dehu set at 55% keeps the room around 60%.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How can I adjust my environment so I am able to feed that frequently? The most I can feed is 250 MLs 4X a day, at that schedule I get about 15% runoff? Temps are around 84F lights on and 78 lights off. Dehu set at 55% keeps the room around 60%.
Nothing wrong with that at all

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Noted.

1/2" PVC tubing is what I meant... I haven't looked at that pump but if @Dirtbag says it's good then nuff said for me

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Looking at the spec sheet, my only concern is that it says the pumps shuts off at 11.4 PSI. Would this be a problem for the manifold and bubblers?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Now i'm thinking something like this might be a better option. The 11.4 PSI shutoff of the Little Giant has me concerned, although the price is right! Thoughts?

I'm not married to the idea of using bubbler stakes but they do seem to water evenly. That said, the water pressure requirements seem a little crazy for a small build. Unless I'm not understanding correctly, they need 25 PSI to work correctly? Any reason not to run the lines naked or build some sort of DIY water halo?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058TARME/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Top Bottom