One fan leaf turning brown

• Thread starter sweett110365
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sweett110365

sweett110365

Good morning. I am a first time grower, and this is all new to me. I noticed some brown spots on one of my fan leafs. I have been online trying to figure out the issue and the results came back as a Calcium Magnesium issue. I have been giving this plant Cal-mag every feeding foe about 4 weeks, so I'm not sure if a Cal Mag is the issue, but I'm not an expert, that's why a came to thcfarmer for some to ask this. I will leave a picture.
Also, I just changed my lights from 600w led to 1000w led if that makes a difference.

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One fan leaf turning brown
BudBogart

BudBogart

I’m no expert, but hearing that you use cal mag all the time makes me think that too much of some nutrients has a tendency to lock out the nutrient from uptake. I’ve grown many crops, sprayed cal mag once, maybe twice in my life.
your plant looks slightly a lighter green than most plants, if your not dialed in with knowledge of ph of the soil and how much nutrients you are adding, my best advice is to back off on adding stuff to the soil . Less is more. Overall your plant looks great 👍🏽 .

sweett110365

sweett110365

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will keep you guys updated. ☺

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

How MUCH cal mag are you using? RO water or tap? Nutes you’re using?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

What else are you giving them? Irrigation quantity and frequency? Fertilizer other than cal-mag? What type of soil?

If you are giving them just cal-mag and nothing else, that could be a problem because cal-mag is a supplement of calcium and magnesium. It is not meant to be used as a base fertilizer. It lacks almost all the macro and micro nutrients necessary for proper plant development.

sweett110365

sweett110365

I am using FF trio. Big Boom and Grow big. I haven't started using the Tiger Bloom yet.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
it is only the one leaf?

im thinking that it is not anything to do with it growing or water or feed, it would be in more places, like the bottom, the top, the tips... but not just one leaf.

but not watering right doesnt make one leaf have what looks like burn from wind/light and the little rips in the leaf say that too. usually the seporia you get from over watering does not show on only one leaf. and it has a dot in a circle.

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

it is only the one leaf?

im thinking that it is not anything to do with it growing or water or feed, it would be in more places, like the bottom, the top, the tips... but not just one leaf.

but not watering right doesnt make one leaf have what looks like burn from wind/light and the little rips in the leaf say that too. usually the seporia you get from over watering does not show on only one leaf. and it has a dot in a circle.

Initial symptoms of wind burn aren’t rust colored blotches on a single leaf, further wind burn rarely will happen only on a single leaf. Imagine how that would even happen? Only a single leaf is receiving excess wind but no others?

Water or feed issues though will at the very beginning certainly show up on a single leaf. You don’t have multiple leafs all yellow overnight. You have one start to yellow and it progress throughout the plant.

I’d advise going only water for two weeks and then cutting your nutrient regiment in half and leaving Big Bloom for closer to flower. This deficiency is unlikely from a lack of given nutrients but an excess that has blocked certain nutrients uptake. Which is why giving more Cal Mag is doing nothing even if it’s a Cal Mag deficiency.

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

Looks like early signs of overwatering, a common rookie mistake.
Over watering in and of itself doesn’t produce the browning. But over watering can lead to other problems like root rot or nutrient deficiency that cause the browning. Meaning, if it was over watering the first signs of it would not be what is pictured. Initial over watering symptoms will be droopiness from lack of oxygen at the roots and chlorosis, none of which are observed which makes it difficult to conclude it’s over watering.

The lightness of the foliage seems to indicate a lack of Nitrogen. Which you should most certainly not have from using the FF trio properly. Cut out Big Bloom for a couple of weeks and see how it does.

You are more likely to fuck the plant up giving it nutrients as opposed to not when just starting out cultivating cannabis. Use them sparingly in the beginning until you get a feel for the plant.

Edit: I know the FF feeding schedule says use Big Bloom throughout entire cycle but I don’t find it necessary.

Last edited:
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

“You are more likely to fuck the plant up giving it nutrients as opposed to not when just starting out cultivating cannabis. Use them sparingly in the beginning until you get a feel for the plant.”

This is fact pure and simple. Besides overwatering, which kills more plants than anything else including bugs, the use of fertilizers and bloom boosters and yadda result in shittier weed than poor light.

Weed has survived millenia without the help of man.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

If you want better weed or more weed or mo betta weed look at lighting. Not fertilizer.

Itsme7576

Itsme7576

Look under leaf with a magnifying glass or loupe for spider mites.

Top Bottom