One of my plants is a hermie, week 8 flower, what to do?

• Thread starter gomicao
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gomicao

gomicao

Ignoring the cat hair on my fingers (yes I know its a crime and its not on everything else I was just being impatient while taking pics) I found what looks like seed or pistil pods on some of the top buds of 1 of 3 plants of the same strain. It managed to get some light stress from a new LED light I switched over to a few weeks into flower and had the beginning of some bleaching. It overall it much more yellow and unhealthy looking than the other 3 plants I have in my tent. I assume the stress from the light was the cause... I moved my light up and dimmed it to 80% and none of the other plants seem to so far be having issues.... This plants buds were growing pointy vs the others more round top and i actually felt it looked like a "different pheno" when in veg as it seems to be a little more fat fingered and bushier when younger.

Anyway... should I chop this fucker down right away? Is there any chance this late into flower that it and the other plants can go a few more weeks without worry? Thing being even if the current plants can't be pollinated in time to matter, having pollen escape in my tent and my room would be bad for future grows, even if I clean everything there is no guarantee that I wont miss some on a fan blade or whatever else....Are these seeds and if so does that mean the damage is already done, or are they pollen sacs? I am rather disappointed but I would rather have 3 healthy plants than 4 fucked up ones and a messed up space.... worst part is I don't really have a great place to cure other than my grow tent... so chopping it will mean I have to either sacrifice it to make some edibles... or attempt a shitty cure... its obviously far from done, but still might be worth trying to cure right... It smells great... Would cutting it down and vac sealing it and putting it in the freezer help keep its flavor from being destroyed until I use it for something?

One of my plants is a hermie week 8 flower what to do
One of my plants is a hermie week 8 flower what to do 2
One of my plants is a hermie week 8 flower what to do 3
gomicao

gomicao

This is day 53 after the flip to 12/12. It could be another couple weeks easy... I would love to just pluck em out and hope they only formed on the top buds that got the brunt of the light stress, but if I found an actual banana some morning before having to go to work knowing what it might be doing to the rest... I only have 4 smaller plants so killing one off before its time is sad, but not as sad as if all my plants or my next round end up pollinated. Blarg....

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

If you have a couple weeks left you won’t get seeds fully formed but you might get unformed tiny seeds.

up to you but if it was me I’d cut out the male parts and keep on keeping on. Not all nanners have pollen in my experience.
if you keep the plant be very vigilante to catch any others

Madmax

Madmax

Agree with Hortulanus ... keep going...seed roughly takes 6 weeks to ripen.looks like it happened weeks ago so bit of luck the seed what you have will b ready at end of grow..it doesnt appear to b overly seeded so thats not that bad..

gomicao

gomicao

Would these being immature seeds mean that it already shot its load and the rest of my plants are probably pollinated as well? I have not torn into their buds or anything but I have not noticed any seeds on the other plants as of yet... I guess I could just let it finish with the rest and give everything a nice bleach.... The only thing is my grow tent is in my bedroom, with all my belongings, and if my actual bedroom is contaminated with pollen that could become an impossible to manage disaster. I was kinda hoping they were baby pollen sacks, just for the sake of my other plants. Not contradicting either of your advice, just discovered this like an hour ago and am still really bummed/upset.

Madmax

Madmax

Yup..i cant see the pollen being viable after a few weeks.just wipe down best as you can.to b safe id even wash the filter over carbon filter and run the filter outside tent for awhile.but i dont think thats really nesessary.ive had a plant seed one nxt to it but im not too fazed by the time the nxt plants in pollen should not b viable...

gomicao

gomicao

So those look for sure like immature seeds and not pollen pods? That is my main thing now.

If it is an immature seed, then it is what it is... but if they are pollen pods and have not tossed off anything yet, then it would be to my advantage to keep the others safe and also not have to worry about anything hanging out affecting future grows. I didn't have a ton of time before lights off to inspect the other plants every inch or anything, but their morphology and buds are more dense/larger and as far as I can see are not showing any obvious seed sites.

If these are the pollen pods and they shoot their load on the others, it wouldn't really hurt them at this point I guess since it should be like 2 more weeks or so till I harvest anyway (maybe sooner who knows?). I just then fear pollen getting on something like a fan blade or in a fold of seam or something I miss getting clean and this garbage happening next go round, my grow tent is in my room that I live in with my cat.

From what I am reading though, unless stored properly, pollen is pretty fragile and even a good spray of just water will neutralize it. It shouldn't be too hard to spray and clean the tent before the next grow, and I planned to anyways. I guess I will just follow yall's advice, and keep a close watch. Plucking them out of the buds now will probably only ruin the buds more vs popping a seed out of some herb when I grind/break it up for a bowl.

showmegreen

showmegreen

Food for thought: pollen is very fragile and hydrophobic. A mist of water will neutralize the pollen. Also the ballsacs will open at night. Or what they think is night. Always a lovely surprise to see bananas dropping dust on a once lovely bud the day before. You can toggle your buds growth with induction of constant to inconstant light cycles even with auto-flowers. Basically tricking the ballsacs to develop and removing them prior to opening. Just my two cents. Do with it what you wish. Stay Blessed

gomicao

gomicao

I have just basically left it alone, I keep watering it like the rest, the others still look in good shape, no stress or obvious seeds or pods that I can notice atm. With any luck they escaped without much or any trouble. The flowers on the hermie are growing pointed to a tip like a christmas tree and have not kept really filling out so that might not be the greatest, it is also the only one to have a full on fade, the other plants are remaining mostly green as may be expected with living soil.

Anyway I have high hopes for the other 3, and even the hermie smells really nice if I rub up against some scraggle near the bottom. I will be happy to get some different plants in there. May spend more loot on some better seeds than last time to get something with some strong/stable traits. And something I actually already smoked before and want more of hah.

Top Bottom