Ongoing demon pest ID: Mites?

• Thread starter ognaToN
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ognaToN

ognaToN

Hello internet,

There is something eating my plants in veg. They were brought from a friend's basement, and were not recovering quickly.
They are in 1 gal pots being fed a 2 part synthetic mix. They get some bennies and teas when they are growing, but they are not doing much. Some leaves are twisting slightly, some are withering and eventually drying, mostly beginning from the tips. Some leaves near the top have rusty chlorosis that looks like Mg deficiency,

Some pics are included as close as I could get with my low-fidelity scope.
It looks like there might be spotted eggs, indicating broad mites, but most of these pests are mostly unfamiliar to me and my standard ipm practices are not making ends meet.
This little red sucker is smaller than any spider mite I have ever seen, and there is a completely different mite looking thing that is less fuzzy than two-spotted spider mites.

I really hope to help these plants back to health. This has been a long battle and my jar is nearing empty. They have put out some new growth, but much of it is slow and irregular.
If anyone has suggestions, I would be grateful!

So far I have tried dropping the humidity, increasing circulation, drying out the substrate until wilting, spraying doktor doom, safer's sulphur, OG Biowar foliar and root packs, and readjusting pH (~6.0) and dimming the lights.
Temp and RH are about 20 C and 40-50%.

Thanks for any feedback!

As always,
"I think you need a little ventilation"
-T-Pain

Singleshot0006jpg
OldManGrower

OldManGrower

It does look like mites. You are doing the right thing by lowering the temp and humidity. I’m assuming these plants are secluded from other plants? The only thing I can add is to spray them with Neem oil. I’ve used a product called Plant Control and have had good results. Don’t worry- you won’t damage your plants by spraying them. I would do it for at least the next 2 - 3 days. Good luck to you and your girls

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

What does the plant, itself, look like? What does the damage to leaves look like?

Not that I'd be able to help, as I've only ever had thrips, as far as pests go. But I'd like to know what this mite damage looks like.

ognaToN

ognaToN

Thanks for the ideas!
Here are some images of damaged leaves. They start twisting around the veins, then necrosis starts from the tips in, sometimes in spots. Then they become crispy. Something I can not see is eating them. They do not produce any more leaves than are lost, and are fighting to make progress.

Does anybody know what might be available North of the southern americas? Neem is disqualified, and I have not been able to find that plant therapy.

Great thanks for all input.

20220105 133838
20220105 185900
20220105 133900
20220104 2020591
Last edited:
sambapati

sambapati

Thanks for the ideas!
Here are some images of damaged leaves. They start twisting around the veins, then necrosis starts from the tips in, sometimes in spots. Then they become crispy. Something I can not see is eating them. They do not produce any more leaves than are lost, and are fighting to make progress.

Does anybody know what might be available North of the southern americas? Neem is disqualified, and I have not been able to find that plant therapy.

Great thanks for all input.
Diluted Castille Soap/glycerine soap foliar spray 'em? What about re-potting them and looking at the roots carefully. My old pappy used to say you can only change one part of an equation when testing for anything. You are funny with North of Southern America....

tobh

tobh

Supporter
the only other thing i can add as a last resort is spinosad (might be doctor doom, unfamiliar with that product).

those are some pretty small bastards and will be hard to eradicate. personally i only use spinosad as an absolute last resort considering if the fuckers are immune to it, one has to start digging into true noxious chemicals that will really set the plants back and likely cause significant health issues to the individual applying them if improper PPE is used. I won't list the ones coming to mind as there are a lot of newer growers coming around and they don't need a low barrier to hurt themselves, but one can find what I'm thinking of with enough searching.

Bayrat5751

Bayrat5751

I've had mites before. No easy fix. My experience is, all you can do is slow them down. I've tried neem oil. Nasty oily stinky mess. I've tried rubbing alcohol spray, say 10% alcohol to 90% water. Use hand sprayer. As good as the neem, no stinky mess. Even tried pump up sprayer and distilled water, blast the little suckers off. All the tries at eradicating is just slowing down the bastards. If the mites were at the later stage of flowering, just spray water and grit your teeth. Once you harvest they die. Good luck. Your plants looks like nutrient burn, and the really dark green leaves. Maybe messing with them to much.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I've had mites before. No easy fix. My experience is, all you can do is slow them down. I've tried neem oil. Nasty oily stinky mess. I've tried rubbing alcohol spray, say 10% alcohol to 90% water. Use hand sprayer. As good as the neem, no stinky mess. Even tried pump up sprayer and distilled water, blast the little suckers off. All the tries at eradicating is just slowing down the bastards. If the mites were at the later stage of flowering, just spray water and grit your teeth. Once you harvest they die. Good luck. Your plants looks like nutrient burn, and the really dark green leaves. Maybe messing with them to much.
welcome to the farm. how about introducing yourself in the introduce yourself forum before offering advice that may be relevant to your experience but isn't aligned with many other growers experiences. Mites aren't an end all be all, stuck with them situation, and this response isn't conducive to fixing the root cause.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We have wiped out mites, thrips and fungus gnats. It's not difficult. Your real challenge is to identify the vector they invaded from.
Most Common Vectors:
1. Humans. We pick up all kind of stuff on our clothes just walking around outside. What kind of tree did you walk under? Is it infested? Maybe change clothes before messing with plants. Some even shower first.
2. Pets. People at least wash hands and take their shoes off, but your pets are a living shuttle to everything that happens to land on them outside. Are pets allowed near your grow?
3. Guests to your home.
99. Holes in the building for them to crawl in. (but it does happen)

Top Bottom