Ontario Root Cellar Grow

• Thread starter Oricson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oricson

Oricson

First time grower here from Ontario, Canada. My friend has lent me his tent and lights etc but I'm concerned about the location for the tent. It's gone in a root cellar at the front of our house. It's basically a room in the basement with an outside door leading in to the house. Brick walls and concrete floor. It's got a couple of vents leading to the outside, so we're basically getting outdoor temps in there. Currently it's 60f under the light , is this going to damage our seedlings (second set of leaves just peaking through)? Also, temperatures will go up in the summer to potentially 90f and can get very humid.

Am I setting myself up for a constant battle here? I am growing Blue Buddah and Hindu Kush. Any other Ontarions here tried anything similar?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
The conditions you describe doesn’t seem ideal. 90F+ is too hot. Too much humidity will cause problems on its own. Mainly fungal diseases. Also if those vents are not fitted with a filter, it’d be just too easy for pests to get in and destroy your crop. I’d move the tent inside.

Oricson

Oricson

The conditions you describe doesn’t seem ideal. 90F+ is too hot. Too much humidity will cause problems on its own. Mainly fungal diseases. Also if those vents are not fitted with a filter, it’d be just too easy for pests to get in and destroy your crop. I’d move the tent inside.

Thanks! I have a filter on the tent but not the room. Right now I have them plugged up with old t-shirts. Unfortunately, it's a largish tent and have family visiting most of the summer so don't have room anywhere else. I could always run a dehumidifier but won't be able to install an Ac or anything more than a fan to control the heat. I posted some pics of the space above. Im hoping the fact it's mostly underground and has concrete walls may keep it slightly cooler in there but never really used the room so don't remeber how hot it was in there.

Pics or it never happened lol. Welcome to the farm

IMG 20190411 200022
IMG 20190411 200026
IMG 20190411 195844
IMG 20190411 195916
IMG 20190411 195928
Dan789

Dan789

Welcome, control that humidity or you’ll risk problems that could destroy your crop, make sure you’ve got air circulation inside the tent. You may want to run lights from 9:00PM till 9:00AM, as then you won’t be adding heat during the time when it’s hottest outside...

Top Bottom