Open Blast Extractors Vs. Closed Column Extractors

• Thread starter Tango02
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
Ok so everyone here has seen the Open blast extractors, they come in all shapes and sizes. They come in glass, Stainless Steel, I have even seen people using PVC versions of these tubes. Very easy to use, pack the trim in, blast butane through from the opposite end.
SO my questions is what is the benefit of a closed column extractor? And let me clarify, I am not asking about a closed loop system. I am wanting to use these closed columns the same way(Can of Butane) as an open blast column but with the option to build up pressure in the column before releasing the butane/wax.
Does anyone here have any experience with these closed columns? What are the benefits of building pressure before releasing? Below are examples of the two different kinds of columns that I am comparing.

Open Blast Column...

Closed Column...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Bump... Im out of the loop ;) on this one too im curious...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I mean i get the whole Soaking thing.. but i don;t get what the added pressure is supposed to do.. Not sure if that allows you to use less butane and extract more via pressure or.. yeah i just don;t know :\

EDIT:

Ok i think the pressure just keeps the butane at a below zero temp.

Similar to the thermos idea but without all the ice and freezers and shit.. the pressure will keep it at a cold enuff temp that it stays liquid and below zero..

I guess.. :D

EDIT AGAIN:

Ok I guess based on closed loop system the added pressure allows for a better yield extraction, so if we apply the same logic to this system minus the recovery then you have a closed system minus the loop..

Its the added pressure that extracts more then an open blast would i guess.

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
" This system allows the user to build up solvent pressure by closing the valve, pulling a vacuum
and filling the extractor, Extractor will fill about 85% with solvent before the internal pressure will equal
the pressure of the can propelant.
This system allows the user to soak the material before opening the bottom valve to release the
solvent and oil. "

So you could in theory here.. fill the thing with weed , pull a vac to remove all air to allow butane in and build pressure, Fill the thing with tane Then wait X time. and blast. ( could i guess put the thing in the freezer before putting in the tane and after putting in the tane ) Not sure thats a bright idea tho if it leaks...... I dunno

Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
I mean i get the whole Soaking thing.. but i don;t get what the added pressure is supposed to do.. Not sure if that allows you to use less butane and extract more via pressure or.. yeah i just don;t know :\

EDIT:

Ok i think the pressure just keeps the butane at a below zero temp.

Similar to the thermos idea but without all the ice and freezers and shit.. the pressure will keep it at a cold enuff temp that it stays liquid and below zero..

I guess.. :D

EDIT AGAIN:

Ok I guess based on closed loop system the added pressure allows for a better yield extraction, so if we apply the same logic to this system minus the recovery then you have a closed system minus the loop..

Its the added pressure that extracts more then an open blast would i guess.

This was my general realm of thought also on this. Some how the added pressure pushes the tane into the product more efficiently. Allowing for a more thorough extraction. But never having used one or seen one used this is all speculation on my part.

Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
How is the vacuum achieved in the tube? simply connect your pump to the bottom of the it, create the vacuum, and then close all valves and disconnect? Any I thinking of this correctly?

Would you lose the vacuum when you went to fill up the tube? You have to open the valve at the top to fill the tube...

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
lol i don't know the answer i don't have one in front of me to see how its built.. I Guess theres a 1 way valve on top or something to prevent the vaccume loss

Ball valve or something...

gumby420

gumby420

i ordered two 180g tubes a few days ago, ill post results of the same starting material with my current tube just using a #4 coffee filter and with the new closed column tubes. ive gotten two other vac chambers from best value vac and theyve all been good so im hoping the tube wont be garbage

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

This is pretty cool. Just solved some problems for sure. Thinking 4-6 of them to get things done a little faster

Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
i ordered two 180g tubes a few days ago, ill post results of the same starting material with my current tube just using a #4 coffee filter and with the new closed column tubes. ive gotten two other vac chambers from best value vac and theyve all been good so im hoping the tube wont be garbage

Finally someone with some actual hands on time with this product line! How are the pumps? They seem solid?

When you do your next run with them please take pics of the setup and the process used....very interested to see how things turn out.

gumby420

gumby420

their vac chambers have been going strong since i first started blasting 3 years ago. first i got the one gallon, then 2 10 gallons. now i finally invested in an oven but from AI, ive heard best value vacs ovens are simliar to AI but i got mine before they were making ovens so never looked into it. but ive been happy with all of their products so far, the chambers all held up great and would hold a complete vac for 24hrs. im stoked to try out this closed column tube, and i guess if i dont like it, i can still use it as a regular open blast tube

gumby420

gumby420

so i got my closed column tubes in a few weeks ago. ive done probably 15 runs with them. so far im really liking them. i can use less gas too. ill fill it up with about a can and a half and then no more butane will come out of the can because the tube is full, so i close the top, let it sit for a minute or two while i start packing my next tube, open the bottom and run another can through the top for extra pressure. this shit comes pouring out like a water faucet. after that can ill usually close the bottom off again with probably one can still left in the tube, go back to packing my next tube and repeat. for 180g im only running 4 or 5 cans till it starts coming out clear, so im saving on butane too. also i found its much easier blasting into a mason jar rather then a dish. ill wait until theres hardly any liquid left and just pour it out. yield went up 2% on a few strains, looks the exact same and same consistency.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ok so everyone here has seen the Open blast extractors, they come in all shapes and sizes. They come in glass, Stainless Steel, I have even seen people using PVC versions of these tubes. Very easy to use, pack the trim in, blast butane through from the opposite end.
SO my questions is what is the benefit of a closed column extractor? And let me clarify, I am not asking about a closed loop system. I am wanting to use these closed columns the same way(Can of Butane) as an open blast column but with the option to build up pressure in the column before releasing the butane/wax.
Does anyone here have any experience with these closed columns? What are the benefits of building pressure before releasing? Below are examples of the two different kinds of columns that I am comparing.

Open Blast Column...

Closed Column...

A few years ago, we were experimenting with closed and vibrated systems, and built the attached test sled from donated parts, which allowed it to be flooded from one end and vented from the other.

It is too long ago for me to remember the numbers, but wanted to share the picture.

I do remember that it improved removal rates and was less than 5 minutes.

BHO Pressurized and vibrated 1 1

Latest posts

Top Bottom