Open Question to professional breeders (or any experienced breeder)

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I've used Silver Thiosulfate Solution (sts) for some time now. I have an organic chemistry background, so I thought I would put some of it to use with my cannabis hobby.

Over the years, I've purchased the solution, and finally come upon a formula that I've been using every since. I make my stock solutions fresh every time from both laboratory grade Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate, Anhydrus. I weigh everything precisely accounting for molar mass to 3 decimals (one thousandth of a gram) As I stated before, I mix from scratch every time, so as to not have any loss purity or inactivation by exposure to light. I keep the product in a dark place and in brown (UV protected) spray and storage bottles. I have a meticulous and well practiced lab ethic.

Here is my Question: I've successfully made "fems" several different times, over several years. Never once had males, ever! Recently, I've also found that dedicating an entire plant is usually beneficial in acquiring enough pollen. Is it possible if the entire plant was blocked, that it might produce some male seeds along with female ones? Could I have turned a plant to male for real? Certainly (to my understanding) it doesn't seem possible, unless there was some male genetics in the genome from the start. Or a mistake?(and I"m reluctant this is the case here).

I can't explain this last seeding. I used feminized pollen, but approx 33% of my seeds stock turned out as male. Also, I was converting these plants from a photosensitive female (converted to male w/STS) pollenized into an autoflowering female. (several actually) It's results produced seeds that were 100% autoflowering, but approximately 1/3 of the resulting plants were males.

What (possible) explanation can account for these results? (beyond possible contamination with an unknown male) I'd also like to point out there's no examples of herme, but only 100% males and females. (I've got pictures to back this up), and the resulting progeny appear to have traits from both plants. (I will know more about this for sure at harvest)

Last edited:
william76

william76

Contamination would have been my first thought but if you've ruled it out then.....?.sure iv heard of this, I cant remember the term for it but it is possible,think there's others here with more experience,maybe @logic , may know something more on it?.or texas kid or Mr castle .76

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
hey guys sorry i have no experience with sts i tend to avoid anything toxic when possible, i use colloidal silver, this is a good brand to use

https://www.amazon.com/Colloidal-Silver-Gallon-PPM-128oz/dp/B07JZRV6SK/

I would say it's pretty standard yes, but my method is much more effective. Depending on the strain that stuff won't work in some cases. Mines a bit more involved, but it's 100% always effective. I've never had it "not work", but I've had several different problems with other formulas and also with colloidal silver. I would use it at above 30ppm though.

While I'll agree someone should have basic lab experience dealing with good contact precautions and ventilation setup while handling silver nitrate or Sodium Thiosulfate, Anhydrus, as they are chemicals that need experienced handling precautions. Even the gas produced while mixing these could be potentially toxic.

Despite its common usage in extremely low concentrations to prevent gonorrhea and control nose bleeds, silver nitrate is still very toxic and corrosive. It can also turn your skin and internal organs a blue-gray color and can blind your eyes, burn your skin.

Silver Thiosulfate Solution is used in gold extraction and Neutralizing chlorinated water, and photographic processing, although it does have some medical applications also.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Contamination would have been my first thought but if you've ruled it out then.....?.sure iv heard of this, I cant remember the term for it but it is possible,think there's others here with more experience,maybe @logic , may know something more on it?.or texas kid or Mr castle .76

It certainly cannot be ruled out, there's always the chance I could have missed something perhaps, I also had a lot of strains in that run. I just am fairly certain it didn't happen, but that's all I have as evidence. It certainly would mean I made a big oversight, as how would I have not noticed a male sitting in the room, unless somehow the plant I was spraying (feminizing) wasn't female to begin with of course, but she had shown female traits, and I had almost given up hope, then she came back in the last week or two of trying and turned strongly male. I was kinda taken back by the transformation, as it was dramatic like I've never seen before.

Top Bottom