Opinion on soil

• Thread starter pura
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pura

pura

hello catz i am looking for opinions on what soil to use for my next grow,i was recently using FFOF soil, didnt like the results it was giving me so i am going to be moving on, the line of nutes i use are PBP and mainly run OG,Kushes ie Raskals,CC's gear. I am open to anything so any help would be appreciated .

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I like to use Vital Earth's organic potting soil. It gives good results. See if you can get it in your area. Roots is a good alternative if you can't get Vital Earth.

B

bicycle racer

i have had good results with roots organic soil. soil is the best when dialed in but its tricky i have since switched to hempy bucket style grows with great results its sort of a soil/hydro hybrid very simple and easy something to consider.

B

BayArea

I use FFOF in a 50/50 mix with Pro-mix for all my veg only situtions. I don't prefer using it for flowering situations. My mother's get 50/50 mix Flower power and Pro-mix. The Flower Power add's a little extra bloom type nutes asisting in faster cloning and vigorous nitrogen weak growth - important for clone producing mothers. In my flowering room, I use only Pro-mix with soluble fertilizers. Pro-mix is dence enough to develop microbial life and "light" enough to allow a drain to waste situation. I can't recommend it enough. Results are straight forward and any problems are very easy to diagnose as Pro-mix is a inert, sterilized medium.

joeca1i

joeca1i

Save money buy some MG "Potting Mix".This is what I like to add to my mix.Espoma Gardenlime,xtra perlite,azomite,mycorrhizal fungi,lil bit of compost.I feedum with a liquid nute.If outdoors worm ,chicken turd,for veg,And High P bat turd will do,for flower.

pura

pura

i was leaning towards the roots 5 gal bags but damn the shipping on those boys are something else. the location i am at.. we dont really have any hydro or garden centers near by with brand names.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
I use a 2:1 ratio of Sunshine#4 and FFOF mixed together or 1:1 ratio of Sunshine#4 to FFOF, depends on plants. Screw that pure potting soil crap, imho. Have to get a super airy medium if not coco then Sunshine#4. You can get Sunshine at most nurseries around most areas.

pura

pura

i will head down to the shop and get some sunshine mix 4 and do the ratios with the FFOF and see how they turn out..any other suggestions are appreciated. Thank you guys.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I get organic garden soil at Lowe's or Walmart that has ZERO/NONE/NADA ferts in it. Then I mix perlite and some worm castings. I never get the fancy grow shop stuff. I have excellent results this way.

R

rikjaardreal

a agree with above !
i dont use any fancy stuff what so ever !
just a peat free soil !
1/3 soil 1/3 perlite 1/3 vermiculite.................
then a few handfuls of blood fish and bone
a couple of handful of bat guano

canna bloom
organic tomato feed

and ensure the ph of any feeds/water going in is set to 6.5

the rest is up to you ! :fighting0003:

V

Von

Make your own man. You can get everything at Lowes.....Espoma brand- blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, dolomite lime, peat moss, perlite, compost and mix it yourself. Cheaper and more consistent than store bought.

V

M

mountaindank

I never buy soil either. I use about 40/40/20 coir/compost/castings, then throw in some dolomite lime and kelp. If it's for flower, I might throw in some guano too, but I usually save the guano to add later as a tea.

What do you guys use the peat moss for? Perlite is, IMO, redundant with coir, but what about the peat moss? Is this something I should look into using?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Roots Organic soil with nothing added here are the results.....

New room1
Week 6
Week 5 1
Week 11 1
D

darookie2000

Promix HP has been working well for me, sunshine #4 is basically the same stuff. I liked canna bioterra except that it got a lot of fungus gnats and didn't dry quite fast enough for me (might be a little better now that the weather's cooling off). I'm thinking about trying a mix of bioterra and promix at some point in the near future. I use the peat to hold a bit more water for a bit longer. I've been watering the plants in promix almost every day, so I'm basically treating it like hydro.

Top Bottom