Options for curing large amounts of big buds?

• Thread starter JAHGYDI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JAHGYDI

what are you big timers curing in? i got alot of buds most to big for jars what are our other options besides bags. are 5 gal buckets good? thanx and jah bless

OGONLY

OGONLY

I like the half gallon jars they sell at OSH or other retailers. They are twice the size of the regular Mason or Ker jar.

I realize they still might not be big enough for your needs. Try a plastic tote from HD or Target. I've been using them to contain my ready to trim goods and couldn't be happier. Stuff actually cures in there. Check it out.

N

norm

for long term I use deep freezers and large glass jars for buds, and just plastic bags in the freezer for trim. for short term I just use big totes and break those down to 5 gal buckets, or straight to vac seal and frozen

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

a humidifier and an empty dark room.

You mean DE HUMIDIFIER!!!!!

Moisture is our enemy in the drying and curing process..

I have been seeing people using humidifiers and keeping their nugs at a terrible humidity level...

Stop RUINING YOUR NUGS~!

RC

S

Shady Acres

"You mean DE HUMIDIFIER!!!!!

I have been seeing people using humidifiers and keeping their nugs at a terrible humidity level...

Stop RUINING YOUR NUGS~!

RC "

thanks . i live at 11,000 feet and its very dry up here. im not ruining my nugs but thanks for the concern. glad you know everything about my op before you comment....

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

and water curing... What a fucking Joke....

These people are trippin...

"But the black buds smoke smoother"....ok buddy and they dont get you high...

RC

S

Shady Acres

right on man, glad to have your input! flowers dry up here in just a few days on the line. a humidifier on a set percentage works great. thanks for your helpful input!

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

"You mean DE HUMIDIFIER!!!!!

Stop RUINING YOUR NUGS~!

RC "

thanks . i live at 11,000 feet and its very dry up here. im not ruining my nugs but thanks for the concern. glad you know everything about my op before you comment....

If you want to go that route with me the good luck...

I never said I knew anything about your op.

If you want to mention to the rest of us why you use a humidifier....other then that your post is pointing people who may not be at your elevation to use a humidifier and I see people in the city using one...and RUINING THEIR NUGS!

Thousands of dollars of medicine that is worthless...It deserves some CAPS!!!!

Thanks for telling me when to comment I will take that into consideration..

Maybe you should actually post some information on why you do what you do so it can not be used improperly.

RC

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

You guys want to know the Best way to cure a large batch of nugs??

PM me for the secret!

RC

qupee

qupee

Target has 3 gallon glass jars.

2.5 gallon actually.

10620261.jpg

They are decent jars. The lid is not perfectly air tight, though. Left out in a room they will stink it up.

My holy grail is a 2 gallon, wide mouth, screw top, brown (or other UV blocking) glass. I've been looking for a couple years for large wide mouth glass jars with a screw top, let alone with brown glass.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
90gal plastic bins are what I use after the plants are dried and broken down. I am fortunate in that my curing environment generally remains in the 65% RH range.

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

90gal plastic bins are what I use after the plants are dried and broken down. I am fortunate in that my curing environment generally remains in the 65% RH range.

Next time I am going to put a hygrometer inside one of my containers to see exactly what % my curing environment stays at...

The way I dry and using the containers I use to cure, the curing process really works well. So I have never checked.

I was taught years ago by the old bearded guys on the mountain...Have been curing the same way ever since but never checked the actual humidity level in my containers.

and not saying my way is the best way...Just saying it makes sense to me, and I have smoked perfect year long cured nugs that were INCREDIBLE and got better like a fine wine...

I am curious to see what the humidity level is inside one of the containers now but 65% sounds scarey...Even though it makes sense that the inside would be at that level. I am going to find out what mine read at.

Now onto Humidifiers...

Now using a humidifier in the drying process is one thing if your in a super dry area...And you still have to use it properly....or you will ruin your nugs...

But to add humidity to already dried nugs will contaminate medicine.

After drying they have to go into a sealed container to Cure...

adding humidity to a room to cure nugs is not curing.... It's called keeping nugs ok so they won't turn to dust because you do not have sealed containers to cure correctly.

Fighting with your environment is just that...

Curing is a process that you have to do a certain way or its just called ruining your nugs...

RC

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not 65% for drying! That will absolutely invite mold, IMO/IME, it needs to be <50% for drying. I didn't mean to give the impression that this is what I do for drying, I thought the question was specifically about curing.

After I'd tried the jars and lost about a 1/4lb (which was most of that crop) to mold, I decided to treat it a little bit like cigars, but they need a higher humidity and I thought it felt too wet. Then, reading some others, probably the same kind of old-timers you're talking about, I learned that 60%-65% seems to be the sweet spot for curing and packaging. And the whole reason why I use the bins is because I HATE TRIMMING. I have an old back injury (on the job) and it's caused problems in my hips and I can't sit for more than an hour at a time without having to move.

Not to mention that I am MIND-NUMBINGLY SLOW at trimming. I don't know why, but I am. I cannot tell you how bummed I am that my Trimmer Lady's kids are sick this week. I freely admit it, I am not one of those people who can trim pounds of dried bud in a few hours, the very concept boggles my brain. How do they do it and not cut off their own fingers, or badly fuck up the buds? I don't know, but now I've got me my very own Trimmer Lady and I plan to keep her.

Anyway, after losing all that to mold I got some of those cheap environmental thingies from Lowe's to put in the bins a friend suggested I try, the analog ones for RH and temps, and hang those with a piece of green tape on the inside, near the bottom. Everything is kept in my basement because I can lock it up very securely, plus it's open to the earth (the area I use is built-up subfloor, no finished walls) and that seems to keep a much better RH during summer time. Winter is a different problem, it's raining and so it's too humid down there, and I often have to bring things into the house (again because the basement area is open to the earth), so I have one great big digital environment monitor so I can gauge what's happening in the larger environment, if that makes sense. If I have stuff in the basement curing and the humidity is only a little bit too high, I put them into a wooden container and keep fans moving all around, with lids open or propped open, and I check daily and will carefully turn the branches to ensure no wet or dry spots.

I'm up in the mountains in Cali, so it can get pretty dry during some times of the year, and then the rains come and forget about it, everything's wet except inside where there's fire.

Top Bottom