Orbad's DIY SCR/SOG under current knock off

• Thread starter orbad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
orbad

orbad

After playing with DWC buckets for a bit and growing in soil for a year I'm diving in head first to an under current knock off. I've read a bunch and have a bunch more to read but I wanted to share my progress so far.

I'm using a 27gal tough box for a Res/ epicenter, with (6) 6 gallon totes with (2) 3.1/2" netpots in a 4'x4' tent. I'm yet to order my air pump and I'm not sure if I should get a ap-40 or 60.

Here are some pictures for now. Thanks for all the information everyone.
Orbads diy scrsog under current knock off
Orbads diy scrsog under current knock off 2
Orbads diy scrsog under current knock off 3
Orbads diy scrsog under current knock off 4
Orbads diy scrsog under current knock off 5

orbad

orbad

I dropped the light as low as I can get it. Turned off the tent fan and left it running sealed up since about 2:00. The temp has climbed from 62° from the tap to 67° now. I do not have the buckets shaded at all right now, but I plan to before I put any plants in it.

You guys think a chiller is in my near future? I'm in a basement with an ambient temp of about 62°

orbad

orbad

This morning I flushed the system as it had a real high Ph and I noticed that the pump was running cooler on high, drainingthe system, than it was recirculating on low. So I drained the system most of the way and drilled twice as many holes in the showerhead. I've gained 1° in the last two hours from 60° at the tap to 61°, things are looking better already.

The pump body is much cooler now too. It was probably 130° last night and closer to 80 today, based on touch.

I'm running some bleach water to clean everything. I also added some Ph down to try and tame the 9.+ Ph it had. Its down to around 7 now. I'm thinking here are a bunch of residual salts in my Res as I used it for a waste water bin for quite a while. (I'll be cleaning it real well before any roots hit water. Any tips for salt buildup?)

Camdawg

Camdawg

Watching! I'm gearing up for a 4x4 setup can't wait to see how this grows for you.

orbad

orbad

I'm excited too! I can't wait to see some white roots coming out of my purple diesel cuts I took yesterday afternoon.

2013 02 24 142330

2013 02 24 142344

So to catch up with this mornings tweaks, I've added a bunch more holes to my showerhead.

2013 02 24 154756

This significantly dropped the operating temperature of my pump.

2013 02 24 154718

I also made the modules a reflectix space suit.

2013 02 24 154154

And here are some pictures to better depict how I plumbed my system.

2013 02 24 154634

2013 02 24 154708

2013 02 24 154745

Temp has only climbed 1° above ambient room temp today with just the pump on so much improved in that department. 63° is fine by me for now.

That's all the progress for this weekend. Air pumps and stones coming soon.

orbad

orbad

Dude those clones are extra fucking thick.

Jesus Christ.
Thanks for stopping by squiggy!

I hope they root well, I took 20 and only need 12. The plant was a monster for only being 18" tall. Stem over an inch wide, and main shoots up to within 3" of the top are much larger than a pencil.

Some pics of the mom after about a month on jacks under T8's. After my hack job, I don't plan to keep her around.

2013 02 24 165058

2013 02 24 165109

2013 02 24 165143

Before I cut on her.

2013 02 16 144840

orbad

orbad

Opinion request:

Do you think it would be better to go from cloning tray straight into the UC or would it be best to run them in a simple flood and drain table for a week until they grow roots out of the netpots?

I have a pump and a timer, and I could pick up a couple Tupperware bins for cheap to make a Res/ table. I'm leaning this direction because I don't want to have to babysit them for the first few days.

I could also elevate the water level to halfway up the net pots for the first week as well. Any issues with soaking root riot cubes in aerated water for the first week? Would I be asking for rot to set in?

What say you farmers?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Your detail shows, look forward to seeing you rock your grow.

What you feeding these lucky ladies?

orbad

orbad

They will be gulping down Jack's Professional Hydro, Calcium Nitrate, and Epsom salt in a 3:2:1 ratio.

I'm running tap water at just under .4 EC. It's filtered by a charcoal filter but that's all. Comes out of the tap at 7.4 Ph @ 61°.

I "feel" like the water takes a lot of Ph down to make a change in Ph, however it is some of the better tasting tap water I have had. Do you foresee this causing me issues? I've heard of people running half tap for Ph stability so I figured decent tap water should be close to this.

orbad

orbad

Orbads breeze:

So I figured I should share my ventilation system with you guys as well. (Yes I need to clean/ replace my dust filter)

I'll start with the inlet which ties to an abandoned return air duct in the house, using the interior air to cool the hood.

2013 02 25 173602

The tent inlet breathes through a shop vac filter, which conveniently fits a 6" duct.

2013 02 25 173708

(Sideways phone pic, sorry)

Air then goes into the hood and carbon filter appropriately.

2013 02 25 173551

Air then exits the tent once again. Being sucked through and pushed out of the roof by a 6" & 4" fan respectively. Notice the dryer backdraft preventor, I installed this to be able to seal it up and run CO2. (CO2 not to be utilized at this time)

2013 02 25 173506

That about shows you the lungs of the system, as always thanks for looking and any constructive criticism.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Back flow damper on which ever fan will be cycling off while the others on.

Looks good though.

orbad

orbad

The damper kept the tent from mushrooming when I was playing with CO2. Its the white box on the outlet of the 4" fan.

Or are you saying the fans don't flow backwards while off?

orbad

orbad

I'm back to ask for your opinions again. What do you guys think of the color on this plant? Is it too green, not green enough? Meaning, how do you think I'm treating my moms?

Information:

Room: 65°, 60% RH (under canopy), 20/4 lighting under (6) T8's

Solution: starting with fresh nutes, Jacks 3/2/.5. Just switched to 3/2/1 today, 1.2 EC, 62°, 5.8ph. Over the first 7 days the Ph raises to about 6.2 and the EC drops about .3. I usually do weekly solution changes but this past cycle it went 2 weeks and dropped to about .8 EC.

2013 02 26 180117

Scrutinize it pretty good. I'm a noob of about 2 years growing. I'm concerned a bit with the ridges on the leaves but not sure.

Edit to add: the reason I bumped the Epsom salt today was because when I let the EC get low on the purple diesel mom I just took cuts from it appeared to be showing signs of magnesium deficiency. Had some rust brown spots on some of the older, lower leaves.

Top Bottom