Oregon Dept Of Ag

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Purpletrain

Purpletrain

All good. Perhaps the packs they tested were bunk. Maybe they got too hot somewhere I don't know. All I know is that we tested both a current batch and last batch and got great results.
Hey Cap i applaud you for your effort and striving to produce something that may help growers achieve there goals
I have over the years began to question many things as a farmer / gardener / and a MJ grower i have come to the conclusion that
Mycorrhiza is a type of fungi that is very important for plant growth. Companies have started packaging them and promoting them to consumers. At first they were sold as an additive to soil, but now you can find them added to many soil and soiless products.

Your soil already has mycorrhiza so you don’t need to add them.

There are hundreds and maybe even thousands of different types of mycorrhiza, some of which are very specific to certain varieties of plants. Commercial products, at best, contain 4 types. Many products contain fewer types. You don’t know that the ones in the pack or soil are the ones your plant needs!

Mycorrhiza are fairly sensitive to high temperatures. If the container holding them gets too warm, like sitting on a truck too long, they die. You have no way of knowing that the product you buy actually contains living mycorrhiza. It may just be a very expensive, useless white powder.

Probiotics for soil is the same idea as probiotics for your intestines. They are a combination of microbes that you buy and add to your soil.

How do you know if they are living? You don’t.

Will they live in your soil environment–remember microbes only grow in environments that suit them? You don’t know.

Probiotics for soil is just another way to fleece you of your money.

In last couple of years i sense the urge since the microbe rage is all about making more microbes and i ask my self WHY ???
how have we come to this stage in thinking more microbes is better think about it
A single teaspoon (1 gram) of rich garden soil can hold up to one billion bacteria, several yards of fungal filaments, several thousand protozoa, and scores of nematodes so this is one teaspoon
Lets put it into another perspective 1 gallon of living soil is 768 teaspoons x that by one billion or 768 billion microbes living reproducing and diein off
Fungi multiplies every 10 mins this means in 10 hrs your going to have 10,000 fungi
we have moved away from Keeping Soil Microbes Happy
Your soil already has lots and i mean lots as mentioned above imagine 5 gallons 3 Trillion 72 billion microbes

Holy shit Do we really need more ??? of living microbes. Don’t add more using commercial products or compost tea. The secret is to provide the microbes you already have with a home they love. How do you do that? Feed them.

Microbes eat and digest organic matter. Keep adding compost, manure, plant cuttings, wood chip mulch etc, to your soil. Just growing plants in the soil will provide organic matter for microbes to eat. Disturb the soil as little as possible. No rototilling–it destroys microbes. Hoe as little as possible for the same reason. Walk on the soil as little as possible–compaction kills microbes.

And that is how you grow healthy plants no need for all the crap being spewed as its needed Its not
build a decent organic base soil and all them microbes alone will do the job
its all a marketing scam add benificials etc and people fall for it

PS: CAP much respect for doing what your doing and sharing this is rather valuable thanks

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
@oscar169 yes we got test results back and both labs showed "too many to count" for bacillus, pseudomonas, and trichoderma, and "none detected" for fusarium and e coli.
Glad to here everything came back good, You know I have been rocking your gear for alot of years and never had any problems, always had great results, Post them Up Bro !!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Wentworth We have them cultured in a lab for us by a couple different labs. We are currently in the process of getting a new batch of nute pack to test through a company that has managed to produce up to 8000 spores per gram of endo myorrhizae. We hope to being the most concentrated and cheapest form of useful mycos on the market.

When you say that there are enough microbes in the soil... This may or may not be true. Many of the microbes we put in to the packs over the years are not randomly found in every soil core sample. They are cherry picked, bred, and placed in to the packs so they can be added to the rhizosphere of your choice. Some of them do very specific tasks (i.e RA and BM disposal).

Also, if you are in a soil less environment you will not find the same abundance of life that you may find in the ground mulch of an old growth rainforest. Agreed?

Therefore, you can add in some life by simply throwing down some root and foliar pack. Both of these products when sprayed will survive on the leaf surface for up to a week. They protect the plant by creating a microbial barrier to microorganisms and pests.

As a drench, they will form symbioic relationships with the roots. Trichoderma will attach itself to the roots readily and will actively seek and destroy pythium. Studies show symbiosis between mycorrhizae glomus intraradices and trichoderma harzianum resulting in higher dry mass weights after harvest than just one used alone or none at all. There are also species (like pseudomonas) that will actually enter the plant systemically and will produce PGRs... I am still learning so I don't know how or why all the time, but I do know that microbes are badass. For plants, and for humans, and for all walks of life.

I could go on and on, but the reason OG Biowar has blown up is only because it works. Never meant for it to be a company just was really excited about the product for myself. People used it and they saw the results. Word spread. Now me and my wife (and now a college student) pack bags and ship them all over the place. It's super cool and I am happy to help growers with all their questions, even when they have nothing to do with microbes. So yeah man I am definitely not trying to scam anyone, and I hope nobody here thinks that. I do agree with a lot of what you say regarding no till etc.. I grow in coco beds and we do not turn them and I add lots of organics as well as some raw salts and get very good results.

Have a great weekend everyone and happy growing.

-Cap

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Just so we re clear I merely asked how og biowar was cultured and the cfu numbers calculated it was purpletrain that went on a rant and called the necessity into question. I understand the importance of having useful microbes in your rootzone and have nothing but respect for you and all the useful contributions you've made to this site over the years.... However I think it might be in yours and other beneficial microorganism manufacturers best interests to rethink your packaging and expiration dates because somewhere along the line from the lab that cultures them to you packing them to the distributor that warehouses them to the grow store that sells them to the end consumer these expensive little critters are dying/going dormant. I regularly purchase beneficial predator bugs to fight pests and they're always shipped by courier in a styrofoam cooler w either ice packs or packs that just hold a consistent temperature to keep them alive n viable I would think microorganisms could benefit from similar shipping practices. I realize shipping country/worldwide that might not be practical but it would definitely give you guys the most viable microorganisms and most bang for the consumers buck. Bare in mind the guys shipping these predator bugs are doing this for an order under a $100 benni powders can get over $100 real quick as u know.... Merely a suggestion..... Much respect :D. Thanks again, peace

Agreed. No worries man I hope I wasn't coming off as defensive with my long rant.

Top Bottom