Organic Grow Flowering - Rust Spots. Is this a cal\mag deficiency?

• Thread starter ELGenerali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ELGenerali

ELGenerali

I'm almost to my 7th week of this grow and my plants are in the flowering stage. I started to notice the some of the fan leaves are getting these "rust spots". From all my research I think I am dealing with a cal\mag deficiency. FYI, I am doing an all organic grow. Details of my grow are below.

Not sure if it matters or not, but around week 4 I dealt with and fixed a high nitrogen issue. I noticed the leaves were dark green, clawing, and the plants had kind of stopped growing rapidly. So I fixed this by flushing the plants a couple of times. Wondering if when I flushed the soil I leached away too many nutrients. Since the flush I have added more "Earth Dust Boost".

Soil = Root Organics Lush
Soil Amendments = Earth Dust(pre grow, soil baked for 2 weeks). Earth dust boost about 4 weeks into the grow, right before flowering.
Lights = SP3000 LED. (Hanging roughly 24"-26" above canopy
Pots = AirPots

So, just curious if I am on the right track with the cal\mag deficiency? Debating on making a Earth Dust nutrient tea, and hopefully this will resolve.

Organic grow flowering   rust spots is this a calmag deficiency

Organic grow flowering   rust spots is this a calmag deficiency 2

ELGenerali

ELGenerali

As a matter of fact I did. I added recharge on 2/26. That was 9 days ago and per the instructions, you should only add it every 7-10 days. Below is the "recharge" I used.

IMG 20220307 220209

ELGenerali

ELGenerali

I've also done one top down dress of Earth Dust Boost.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Instructions... ummm Yeah. Ok.

Next time, add a tablespoon of Recharge to the LUSH along with the BASE and BOOST before cooking for 2 weeks. Mix the crazy out of it, then cook it.
This is why you are having cal/mag issues. You should also add a half dose of Fish Shit before cooking. Good stuff. Once all that cooks, those millions of MBE's are going to multiply like rabbits and your soil will be able to grow a redwood. Well... some really juicy weed anyway.

Fish Sh!T

Mix a 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt in filtered water and water the plants.

ELGenerali

ELGenerali

Cool, I was actually following one of your posts and thought the Fish Shit was only used during flowering. Next time I will def add some before I let it cook for 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice!

I was planning on giving the plants a nutrient tea I made from the BOOST. Should I wait on that, since I need to give epsom salt, or do you think it matters?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

No, skip the boost for now and just the Epsom. Be careful, not too much. Let's see what it looks like 24 hrs after the Epsom.

Highcountryfarms

Highcountryfarms

If you have Epsom salts now Is the time, that will give you the mag/sulfate boost. In unclorinated water dissolve your Epsom and a powdered eggs shell. 1 tbsp molasses, Hit it with compost and ewc if you got it let brew for 24 hrs or so and drench soil.

Perception

Perception

To me, it looks like nutrient lockout from salt buildup and/or a PH imbalance. Flushing could reduce the negative impacts of either, but being so close to harvest, you might just want to leave it. I've have similar problems happen from adding too many nutrients mid flower. Less can be more.

Watering technique can have a impact on these problems happening too. I like to make sure that I water-to-runoff about once a week (if you are in pots).

I bet that checking the PH and PPM of your runoff may give you some clues. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom