Organic soil PH, Should I have to worry about? 😭

• Thread starter EaudeTolete
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EaudeTolete

EaudeTolete

Hello everybody, I'm new here! 🥳
I heard a lot of good stuff about this forum.

This is my fourth grow and still not finding my ideal medium, try to keep it simple.
I'm just literally put the germinated seed in 1/4 gallon pots today. But in the first run-off to moist the medium, I had readings of PH 7.7 - 8.

I know is not optimal but is all organic. I'm on the day one, and I don't want to disturb the root, I damaged the seed root once repositioning the seed.

Here are the specs:

Medium: 40% Pro-Mix with mycorrhizae + 20% Coco w/ organic matter and perlite (good potting mix) + 20% Worm castings + 20% Mushroom compost.
(The Pro-mix I know contain buffers, I used this before with successful results, the only variant now is the dry mushroom compost, but I measured with and without this compost, with the same results in PH).

Water: Reverse Osmosis water at PH 6.5

I use BioThrive from General Organics but rarely use the vegetative one, because of the nutrients in the soil. Only use the Bloom one.
I had read in other forums and seed labs to not worry about ph too much in organic soil. Read a lot of people just not PH even the water (PH around 7.5 -8) with no issues at all. Apparently because of the microbial life that makes available the nutrients for roots. I know that nitrogen, fungi and other elements turn the soil more acidic.

Should I re-pot the seeds?
Add Ph regulator above like Peat moss nor other compost?
Or just wait to test the new soil?

Is bad idea to use PH Up/Down in all organic soil?

(sometimes I got GO nutrient measurements below PH 5.5 with Bloom)

I don't have access to a big variety of mediums or compost locally to make super soil. But I'll find the way of hearing your comments.

Thank You and have a nice day!!

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

I'm not sure if this will help as I'm only new here as well but take what you want from it. My girls a little different scenario I'm completely outdoor mostly organic soil with home compost, worm castings, tiny amount of chook poo and some garden soil. I watered with filtered tap water and rain water both at about pH 7.8 right up to about week 10 because I didn't know any better then got a little advise and changed pH with lemon juice gradually over a week down to about 6.4. The growth I experienced after this point was phenomenal and she hasn't looked healthier. She did go into flower after that not sure if changing pH a bit quick caused that or it was just her time. I keep my feed and water at the same pH and now she loves it. Just something to think about I spose. Happy farming.

Shamashmagu

Shamashmagu

A well built organic soil medium can buffer some pH fluctuation so it's not something you have to keep tabs on. With that being said you can experience pH problems but it's not a problem until it's a problem, most commonly I've heard because of very hard water.

EaudeTolete

EaudeTolete

A well built organic soil medium can buffer some pH fluctuation so it's not something you have to keep tabs on. With that being said you can experience pH problems but it's not a problem until it's a problem, most commonly I've heard because of very hard water.

I always keep the water quality and ph right. Once the ph was too high and had a lot of problems mixed with salts. That's why I go all organic before try soilless now.
thanks for your reply.

EaudeTolete

EaudeTolete

I'm not sure if this will help as I'm only new here as well but take what you want from it. My girls a little different scenario I'm completely outdoor mostly organic soil with home compost, worm castings, tiny amount of chook poo and some garden soil. I watered with filtered tap water and rain water both at about pH 7.8 right up to about week 10 because I didn't know any better then got a little advise and changed pH with lemon juice gradually over a week down to about 6.4. The growth I experienced after this point was phenomenal and she hasn't looked healthier. She did go into flower after that not sure if changing pH a bit quick caused that or it was just her time. I keep my feed and water at the same pH and now she loves it. Just something to think about I spose. Happy farming.

I fell confident to read that, My first option is to try lime juice if the soil stays near ph 8.
My doubt right now is if mixing the CaliMagic from General Hydroponics would kill the micro life if Ca+Mg is needed.

Thanks!

Top Bottom