Organic vs non organic nutes

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Really tough to compare since it all depends on the method and practices. You can dial in a perfect grow with both synthetics or organics… just because you’re growing organic does NOT mean the plant is getting everything it needs, and just because you’re growing synthetics does not mean you’re missing out on micro/macro nutrients. Like most things, the Devil is in the details.

I‘m on my 2nd grow…my 1st was a 1 part synthetic nutrient at the same ratio the entire grow in coco. This time I’m using pre-digested organics in soil (Nectar For The Gods).

It really depends on everything, not JUST the nutrients but how, when, where, water, light, environment, training, and most importantly….genetics. Genetics are #1 if you ask me.

M

MasterCookie

Really tough to compare since it all depends on the method and practices. You can dial in a perfect grow with both synthetics or organics… just because you’re growing organic does NOT mean the plant is getting everything it needs, and just because you’re growing synthetics does not mean you’re missing out on micro/macro nutrients. Like most things, the Devil is in the details.

I‘m on my 2nd grow…my 1st was a 1 part synthetic nutrient at the same ratio the entire grow in coco. This time I’m using pre-digested organics in soil (Nectar For The Gods).

It really depends on everything, not JUST the nutrients but how, when, where, water, light, environment, training, and most importantly….genetics. Genetics are #1 if you ask me.
Couldn't agree with you more.

M

MasterCookie

When Aquaponics nutrition is dialed in.. here is the results. 1 month difference in growth in this clone. She is my pride and joy.
Screenshot 20221024 204638 Gallery
Screenshot 20221025 130701 Gallery
Screenshot 20221025 130708 Gallery

The_word

The_word

Organic. OR-gan-ic. Organ-ic?

If your plant food says "organic" on the bottle, ignore it because its marketing and a borderline lie.

Organic to me is when the soil feeds the plant naturally and I don't feed it anything except water. If you have to add nutes, it's not organic.
We got rid of all the extra junk we did not need to grow quality plants, nutes, pH up and down and all that jazz. Now, we amend the soil to a living condition and then plant, water and harvest. No nutes, no chemicals, no matter what source they came from.

If it is in a bottle, it is not organic because it had to be processed into that form. Organic is not lab processed, with VERY few exceptions.
I used all biobizz certified organic nutes and soil. They are EU regulated so they cannot claim that without proof from an external audit.I know what you mean though, some fakes out there still.

If adding nutes makes it not organic that would mean that anything grown out of season could not be organic, it can. If outdoors then I get what you mean you would ideally choose a spot that would meet the needs of the plant’s lifecycle and wouldn't need any nutes, but in an outdoor environment the roots can often stretch to find what thee plants need, in a pot in a tent that isn't really viable. Organic does not mean that it has not been processed, if that were true organic chocolate, wine and coffee would not exist, they all have to be processed to become the end product. Don't get me wrong if an organic chocolate bar tree existed I would plant them and smash it willy wonka style before moving on to the wine shrubs. Organic just means that there are no artificial ingredients (derived from chemicals/ingredients not found in nature)

I am not attacking any way of growing, I just wondered what the benefits are of non organic nutes.

Peace ✌

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I used all biobizz certified organic nutes and soil. They are EU regulated so they cannot claim that without proof from an external audit.I know what you mean though, some fakes out there still.

If adding nutes makes it not organic that would mean that anything grown out of season could not be organic, it can. If outdoors then I get what you mean you would ideally choose a spot that would meet the needs of the plant’s lifecycle and wouldn't need any nutes, but in an outdoor environment the roots can often stretch to find what thee plants need, in a pot in a tent that isn't really viable. Organic does not mean that it has not been processed, if that were true organic chocolate, wine and coffee would not exist, they all have to be processed to become the end product. Don't get me wrong if an organic chocolate bar tree existed I would plant them and smash it willy wonka style before moving on to the wine shrubs. Organic just means that there are no artificial ingredients (derived from chemicals/ingredients not found in nature)

I am not attacking any way of growing, I just wondered what the benefits are of non organic nutes.

Peace ✌
Availability and control… less heavy metals and lower risk of spreading disease and pathogens.

People have to stop thinking organic means something that it does not. A nitrate is a nitrate, it can be synthetically derived or organically derived… the only difference is how it was formed… there is not a single difference between a nitrate derived from either.

im not going to make a 40 page explanation on the differences. Each has its place and i can say with certainty over 90% of home growers do NOT understand the differences between them.

this is not directed at you but the organic community here and one day i will save my self the time and do an extensive write up on the truth of nutrients and the factual difference.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

See you feed organically grown grain to a chicken and all of a sudden its an organic chicken… the marketing on organics is just absurd and ridiculous these days…

this buzz word “organic” is almost enough to make me have a meltdown these days.

There is nothing wrong with growing organic and it has many benefits but that does not make synthetic bad in anyways shape or form and in most cases synthetic is a better option.

if you disagree with this… maybe do some reading in the differences for your own benefit

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

To a plant, food is food, there is no difference. Chemically there is no difference.
The essence of organic is where the difference comes in. Mother Nature is organic, a chemistry is not, even if the end result is the exact same. I have no problem with non-organic grows. If we did not have them most of the population would be very hungry.

It's the method that I have issue with. The commercial process of making the 'organic' product often leaves pollutants that toxify the environment. That is my main objection to 'bottled nutes'. If the process makes toxins that damage the environment then how can it be organic? It is self-defeating. So, like I said, If it's in a bottle, it ain't organic with few exceptions.

M

MasterCookie

People the real difference between organic and inorganic is not necessarily the nutrient but it's really the source of the nutrients. "Organic" is really a two part meaning.. organic meaning derived naturally via microbes.. however it doesn't stop there.. the second part of organic is governed via organic chemistry. That makes alot of the nutrients from organic foods are not ionic in natural meaning the Mg+ or K+ Ca+ are not bonded to a PO4- or SO4- or NO3- but are really bonded to a alcohol or carboxcylic acid (example acetic acid). So why I'd this important. Long story short organic nutrients has the possibility of having more nutrients vs synthetic nutrients at the same PPM.. so if at 650 ppm you have 150ppm of K or NO3.. at the same ppm you can have 200ppm of K and so on... because synthetic nutrients are not 100% pure.. there are impurities that are inerts how it still affects ppm concentration. One of the biggest problems of Synthetic is Na+ and Cl-.. usually cheaper nutes mixs will uses calcium chloride or magnesium chloride and for ever mole of Mg or calcium used you get 2 moles of Cl-. When converted to grams it's a 1:3 ratio of Ca to Cl or Mg to Cl.. that's too high of chlorides which causes chemicals burns and other plant defects...
In organic grows the Ca and Mg can be in a form of Calcium acetate or Magnesium acetate.. which is highly soluble plus the microbes in the soil actually uses the acetate as food to produce Carbon dioxide gas.. further purifying the Ca and Mg and dropping ppm concentration because the acetate in no longer dissolved.. a side effects of this is pH going up in the media due to carbonate formation.. hence organic soil always have higher pH... hope you enjoy my little tedtalk..

R

ritoMox

I just wondered what the benefits are of non organic nutes.
I think that at least one of the reasons that the synthetics pros use synthetics is for a cleaner more predictable flavor/smell profile. Basically the same reason you would want to use clones--reproducibility. With organics you really can't control the smell/flavor profile due to the fact that the soil microbiome is doing the feeding and you really don't have any control over that microbiome. The soil microbiome also exudes waste products that the plant will also take up adding additional complexity/unpredictability to the smell/flavor profile. I personally prefer the unpredictable complex smell/flavor profiles in all-natural organic smoke. But if I were some big producer, I'd want predictability in order to insure reproducibility, and that seems to be the synthetics domain.
Edit: In other words, in an all-natural organics grow, there is much more going on than merely feeding the plant.✌️

Last edited:
strider26554

strider26554

Those ladies are looking beautiful, those pistils are all swollen and ready to bring on that rez soon.
Now there is nothing wrong with crystalized synthetic nutrients but I think they work better for hydroponic and soilless media for when you are really wanting to dial your secondary nutes and minerals and such. Also, there is nothing poisonous about synthetic fertilizers, just concentrated in a lab to a soluble form that the plant can uptake. Organic fertilizers do have plenty of salts and sometimes heavy metals in them as well depending on what you are using and if your recycling your soil, some will argue that synthetics are cleaner then organics. The idea of indoor growing is to create an un naturally more than ideal environment to maximize yield and potency. I personally grow out doors organically and am a big fan of inoculates and organic soil amendments, getting those amendments broken down in the soil with the microbes is the key to organic soil cultivation. I never put synthetic nutes into an organic soil grow, kind of defeats the purpose. There are also different methods for organic hydroponics like live water cultures.

My organic soil amendments are basically, high phosphorous bat guano, crab meal, nitrogen pellets, green sand, dolomite and earth worm castings. Plus Inoculants.

Just a suggestion your plants look a wee bit stretched, it looks like possibly too many plants under the lights. I have done it many times getting greedy lol. But If you have the right amount of plants under the light your yields are better.
I have to chime in on this one also, I know some people aske me "do you grow organically" I always reply yes..and no. while a mineral is a mineral and an element is an element hence the term Organic nitrogen would imply but not define the origin of said nitrogen. My soil amendments vary with my diet, as the remnants of of what i eat invariably end up in my compost and i do EAT organically as often as feasible. The coffee beans i grind are not organic, and the bananas that i buy from the local supermarket are not organic, and these items end up in my compost piles, alongside the piles of chickenshyt and rabbit pellets, the feed that I feed my mostly free range chickens is organic as is the timothy hay that my rabbits eat, but i couldnt claim organically grown if i decided to butcher and sell the meats from these animals as I cant prove that the local feed corn that goes into my chicken feed is organic, I just take the old hippie at his word and assume it is. after all he feeds his own animals the same corn. but I have to laugh when I see people on here talking about organic fertilizers and growing organically,, because I see the miracle gro "organics" at my local farm stores and i know they aren't any different in origin than the standard miracle gro formulations, they all have salts, and lots of them, there may be producers of organically derived nitrogen but i haven't seen them in any stores near me. so when someone talks about organic vs non organic i have to have an in depth understanding of what that means to an individual before I can make a determination about what goes into their grow rooms or outdoor grows. and all concentrated crystalized formulations of nitrogen, phosphorus ,etc etc..all have salts or most of them do, my own dirt that i source from my land is old pasture,,and i mean ut was a pasture for a hundred years prior to me building on it, and that soil along with the amendments that I add being compost chicken shyt rappit pellets, and dolomatic lime, compost, fishmeal and wormcasings is probably some of the best growing soil one could build. but not everyone has this luxury, and i know this. That being said while i urge people to build their own soils , there are alot on here who never even touch soil during their grows. and that is why this site is so informative

C

chronic2

Amateur grower here, but that looks like straight up 9-leaf sativa. How close am I?

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I don’t buy organic foods. In fact I specifically avoid doing so. It’s not my place to tell anyone else what to do, but I’d like to lay out three, seriously considered factors that have shaped my personal stance on organic:

1. Informed confidence that we are safe buying “conventional” foods
  2. Recognizing that some of the best farming practices from an environmental perspective are not always allowed or practical under the organic rules
  3. An ethical problem with the tactics that some organic advocates and marketers employ which seriously misrepresents their “conventional” competition

Blastfact

Blastfact

Stoners sure do over complicate the hell out of stuff. If one didn't know any better many could be failed fortune 500 ceo's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom