Organo Starter grow plugs

• Thread starter woody420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

woody420

How's it going farm Well I grab some grow plugs for my seeds just checking to see if any body has used the Organo Starter grow plugs for seeds and the best way to get your seeds going by using them. I will be using fox farms O.F. plus light warrior and some perlite mixed together for my grow . Also I have the dome and tray for the starter plugs to go into. Whats the best way to get the seeds to germ.? I have always just put the seeds onto a plate with some water and some paper towels a till I see a little root sticking out and then throw them in some soil that's about it. Seem to work out all right in the past. Just looking for maybe a better way to starts seeds by using the plugs. Can I just drop the seed into the plug and it will crack open ??? Well thanks for the helping hand on this. Have a green day catch you later

---------------------------------------------------------
Here's what the store has to say about the plugs

An, Alternative to Rockwool, Organo Starter Grow Plugs may be the next revolution in soilless culture. They maintain a perfect air-to-water ratio and retain water incredibly well. These bioactive plugs are made using a proprietary composting process and are just the thing seedlings will love. They are completely biodegradable.

G

Guano

I prefer to give my seeds some room to turn themselves & don't feel the hole on the plug gives them enough space.Save those for clones.I'd make a small amount of mix at 40% perlite,40% LightWarrior & 20% OF but I'm a picky bastard.

W

woody420

Hey guano thanks man that mix you got up there is that for the whole grow or just to get the seeds going ?? And so there's no point to use the plugs even if I was to put the seeds into the plugs once the seed cracked open ??? ok Guano ur saying that I should just germ. the seeds in some paper towels and throw them in this mix 40%perlite40%lightwarrior40%OF And don't use the plugs ??

-ANY FARMERS- How do you germ. your seeds before a soil grow???

G

Guano

I soak my beans in water & few drops LK for 24-36 hrs before planting,always germ within same amount of time as the soak.Rarely do I get one that doesn't germ.
That's a good safe mix to get them started & then repot.You can use the same ingredients at different rates as they grow.I tied the plugs before but eventually found them to be just an added expense.I prefer RapidRooters for cuts.
Try a few in the mix & a few in plugs & let us know your how it turns out.You might have different results than I did.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Everyone seems to do it differently woody. I've always had good results in paper towels soaked with a couple ml of Liquid Karma (or other micro nutrient rich supplement) in plain water, but last time I germed they went 7/10 and 8/10 which didn't not make me happy. I'm gonna try Guano's method and soak them in water for 24-36 hours first next time. Makes sense that it would soften the shell and help the seedling do it's thing.

W

woody420

Sounds good guano I will try it in the mix and a few in those plugs.

W

woody420

Nice input there hererisssh. I was just seeing how others farmer get there seeds ready for a soil grow.

G

Guano

OK but if the plugs work well,don't post it here.I'm trying to appear as if I know what I'm talking about & you'll only spoil the illusion. ;)

W

woody420

LOL I put money on that you know what your doing.

So guano I don't have to wait for the seed to show its roots before putting it into the soil?? Just soak the bean and then throw it in the mix.

G

Guano

Usually by 36 hrs a few of the beans will star to crack,that's when I like to plant them.If they haven't cracked after 36 it doesn't matter & plant them. Within 24-36 hrs after planting they sprout:flower

It's similar to the natural cycle a seed would go thru outdoors from winter to spring.A wet soak after snow thaw & then just the right mix of temp/light/moisture in spring.

W

woody420

Hey Guano I have a 400 watt (M .H.) light when would you place your seeds under a M.H.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Fluorescent lights are the way to go with babies. Much easier to manage and much less likely to bake a seedling. Bring on the MH when they grow a multi fingered leaf set if you're itching to.

W

woody420

lights

I have been using this type of bulb pic on here to get my seeds going in the past . Whats the best type of Fluorescent tube to use besides the T5 don't have the money to pick one up yet. Just looking for a cheap fluorescent tube that can be pick up at home depot or any hard ware store to start my seeds under. Thanks man

OR will this light that I have been using in the past work for starting the seeds under ??
LUMENS=950
Watts=20
CRI/IRC=67
Kelvin=9325
just some info on the lights that I used before to start seeds under may that will help??

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
T8's blew me away when I switched from the old standard T12, huge difference. You can get 2 bulb, T8 shop lights for cheap at HD.

W

woody420

Thanks again hererisssh T8 The next best thing before T5 then huh ???

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes. The number on these bulbs represents the number of 1/8 inches the diameter of the tube is, so: T12 - 1 1/2", T8 - 1", T5 - 5/8".

Latest posts

Top Bottom