Original UK Cheese

• Thread starter HortiLab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Hortilab I wasn't trying to bust up this thread. If you have a good representation of the UK cheese in seed form you are going to sell a lot of seeds. Just like I said the high of the original Skunk #1 was extraordinary the flavor of UK Cheese is extraordinary and something with a good buzz and extraordinary taste is a keeper in many gardens.

I just love this subject. In your breeding of Skunk #1 or the UK Cheese do you ever come across the lime/yellow tipped leaves in the Skunk #1?

In the original Skunk #1 there was the Road Kill Skunk type phenos and there were sweet phenos. I think most people went after the RKS types. They were the more indica phenos. Especially in the USA because they would actually mature in many states. The other phenos of Skunk #1 actually flowered much longer and wouldn't finish sometimes until November. Not everyone could finish those outdoors. The sweet phenos were the more sativa phenos. The yellow tip pheno was more indica looking like the RKS but was on the sweet side. It was the combo pheno (indica/sativa) and would consistently finish around Oct 20th a 40.5 N.

Original Skunk #1 is Afghani x Columbian Gold x Thai. Indica x sativa x sativa. Afghani is a dominant strain so there are going to be indica leaning phenos. In fact in the USA because of the growing season in most states most people think of Skunk #1 as being more of an indica because that is what they grew or bought.

Over the years Skunk #1 got muddled up. It doesn't have the rep it used to have because the best old school phenos have been lost. Nobody can make it from scratch anymore because the 1970's Columbian Gold and Thais are not around either. Breeders had to start back crossing or crossing with the Skunk #1 that remained in clone form. Or they started to breed it with stuff to bring down the flowering time like in 1989/1990 with Early Misty x Skunk #1.

1988 Skunk #1 had fat more dense indica type buds. UK Cheese has spongy sativa/indica buds, sativas have airy fluffy buds. UK Cheese or Skunk #1 in all fairness would be entered in the indica or indica/sativa category. It wouldn't be fair to judge bag appeal and bud density against a true sativa. Although in the contests today nobody really enters true sativas IMHO.

In the 1969-1975 years the best weeds like Thai and Columbian gold were light, leafy and loaded with seeds. Very poor bag appeal in todays standards but after you smoked them you would see God and eat a box of cupcakes. LOL!

When you put up your seeds of UK Cheese I will be buying some packs for sure. You never know the yellow tipped pheno might show itself.

Take care Hortilab. I didn't realize you started the thread. I was just compelled to post because there were some interesting comments. At least to me.

Good Luck with all your projects hortilab.

HortiLab

HortiLab

Sorry but Cheese is far from an Indica and everyone knows HTCC is a major joke.

Sorry, but you seem a bit lost TIME2UNITE. Who besides you is talking about the HTCC in this thread?

The 2nd Place in the Indica category was archived at the 2008 IC Mag 420 Cup which is know for its completely fair blind judging system.

If the judges would have agreed with your point of view, they should have given their votes to other entries instead. For some strange reason this did not happen.

And since there is only an Indica & a Sativa category to enter (at most cups), you would suggest to enter Cheese in the sativa category??

Hortilab I wasn't trying to bust up this thread. If you have a good representation of the UK cheese in seed form you are going to sell a lot of seeds. Just like I said the high of the original Skunk #1 was extraordinary the flavor of UK Cheese is extraordinary and something with a good buzz and extraordinary taste is a keeper in many gardens.

I just love this subject. In your breeding of Skunk #1 or the UK Cheese do you ever come across the lime/yellow tipped leaves in the Skunk #1?

In the original Skunk #1 there was the Road Kill Skunk type phenos and there were sweet phenos. I think most people went after the RKS types. They were the more indica phenos. Especially in the USA because they would actually mature in many states. The other phenos of Skunk #1 actually flowered much longer and wouldn't finish sometimes until November. Not everyone could finish those outdoors. The sweet phenos were the more sativa phenos. The yellow tip pheno was more indica looking like the RKS but was on the sweet side. It was the combo pheno (indica/sativa) and would consistently finish around Oct 20th a 40.5 N.

Original Skunk #1 is Afghani x Columbian Gold x Thai. Indica x sativa x sativa. Afghani is a dominant strain so there are going to be indica leaning phenos. In fact in the USA because of the growing season in most states most people think of Skunk #1 as being more of an indica because that is what they grew or bought.

Over the years Skunk #1 got muddled up. It doesn't have the rep it used to have because the best old school phenos have been lost. Nobody can make it from scratch anymore because the 1970's Columbian Gold and Thais are not around either. Breeders had to start back crossing or crossing with the Skunk #1 that remained in clone form. Or they started to breed it with stuff to bring down the flowering time like in 1989/1990 with Early Misty x Skunk #1.

1988 Skunk #1 had fat more dense indica type buds. UK Cheese has spongy sativa/indica buds, sativas have airy fluffy buds. UK Cheese or Skunk #1 in all fairness would be entered in the indica or indica/sativa category. It wouldn't be fair to judge bag appeal and bud density against a true sativa. Although in the contests today nobody really enters true sativas IMHO.

In the 1969-1975 years the best weeds like Thai and Columbian gold were light, leafy and loaded with seeds. Very poor bag appeal in todays standards but after you smoked them you would see God and eat a box of cupcakes. LOL!

When you put up your seeds of UK Cheese I will be buying some packs for sure. You never know the yellow tipped pheno might show itself.

Take care Hortilab. I didn't realize you started the thread. I was just compelled to post because there were some interesting comments. At least to me.

Good Luck with all your projects hortilab.

No worries Tobor & thanks for informative post & kind words.

Even though I have not been in the states during that time period, I can only agree with what you wrote in your last post.

When working with some Skunk lines in the past, we came across some lime green phenos, but not really what I would call yellow tipped to be honest.

Actually most newer generation skunk lines we tried, were not worth keeping in our opinion.

We are currently working on a breeding project, where we are using an above average "Skunk #1 x Afghani" to BX to the Cheese clone.

M

Malachi

So you are doing the same as Big Buddha, and back crossing the cheese to a Afghani male? Or are you using a Big Buddha type cross and then BXing that with the cheese? Are these going to be S1's or is your Skunk/Afghani a daddy? I would love to see a cheese BX with a thai or columbian gold.

HortiLab

HortiLab

So you are doing the same as Big Buddha, and back crossing the cheese to a Afghani male? Or are you using a Big Buddha type cross and then BXing that with the cheese? Are these going to be S1's or is your Skunk/Afghani a daddy? I would love to see a cheese BX with a thai or columbian gold.

A Skunk/Afghani line from a private dutch breeder provides the daddy for this BX, which wont be released until tested extensively.
You could call this a private project of ours which might be released commercially if satisfying to us. No S1s are planned as of yet.

Hortilab I guarantee that in an issue of High Times in the early years after the first HTCC they didn't let ANYBODY enter Skunk #1. It was printed in their magazine, I read every issue and nobody was allowed to enter it.

Just like it is a fact about the yellow tipped leaves. It was part of the description in the catalog. When I read the catalog I thought the descriptions were hype but when I saw that I knew they were correct and Neville had the real deal.

I ain't trying to stir stuff up but I was growing Skunk # 1 as long or longer than Sam the Skunkman. My dear departed friend Butch brought it back from Cali around 1977-79.

Skunk #1 won the very first unofficial Cannabis Cup in 1987 and won the first OFFICIAL cup in 1988. Nobody thought any thing could ever beat it, everybody wanted to grow it and they thought the cup would just be a boring Skunk #1 Fest and they didn't let anyone enter it in 1989 or 1990. I specifically remember the article in HT about it. People started crossing with it to get something better and that is when Skunk #1 infiltrated almost every cross.

I am kinda an expert on Skunk #1. I am Skunk #1. My sweat smells like Skunk #1. When I take a shit it is a big pile of Skunk #1 resin. LOL!

I will now have to find the High Times article that talks about the banning of Skunk #1 from the cup. One year I talked about the yellow tipped leaves and nobody believed me. Luckily somebody came along and posted up the catalog and the case was closed.

This case will soon be closed to. I do not purposely spread false information. I know these are the facts about Skunk #1.

Didnt see that post of yours Tobor.
I was not aware of this article in HT...first time I hear about it.
Would love to see that "Skunk Ban" article. Maybe you can scan & post it, if you find it again?
Did not want to accuse you of purposely spreading false info.

All I can say is, that these days there are no restrictions at all concerning any strains a seed company wants to enter in any cannabis cup.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Hey Hortilab it was the 2009 IC 420 Cup. I know because you beat me you $%$%#. LOL! I sent in some really good Uranium Cranium Kush I bred myself and grew 3 seeds in the corn. I only got one female and she was a beauty. The cross was uranium cranium by The Mole, beancounters Bubba Chunk (katsu Bubba x Deep Chunk) and The White. The cross went like this Uranium Cranium female x male (white x Bubba Chunk). It was good and that is how I know your StarBud and the others ahead of me must have been sweet.

Here are the 2009 IC Mag 420 Cup scores. Hortilab was one of the breeders who did well in both categories. As did Karma Genetics.

If some nobody like me, from a cornfield in the USA, gets a fair shake it is certainly a legit unbiased contest. I wanted one of those pot leaf hand blown glass trophies real bad too. But it was fair and it was fun.

Bring on the Starbud and the Cheese Hortilab. Maybe in 2011 I will use your own genetics to defeat you. LOL!

I predict Starbud sells out as soon as you drop it here.

HortiLab

HortiLab

Hey Hortilab it was the 2009 IC 420 Cup. I know because you beat me you $%$%#. LOL! I sent in some really good Uranium Cranium Kush I bred myself and grew 3 seeds in the corn. I only got one female and she was a beauty. The cross was uranium cranium by The Mole, beancounters Bubba Chunk (katsu Bubba x Deep Chunk) and The White. The cross went like this Uranium Cranium female x male (white x Bubba Chunk). It was good and that is how I know your StarBud and the others ahead of me must have been sweet.

Here are the 2009 IC Mag 420 Cup scores. Hortilab was one of the breeders who did well in both categories. As did Karma Genetics.

If some nobody like me, from a cornfield in the USA, gets a fair shake it is certainly a legit unbiased contest. I wanted one of those pot leaf hand blown glass trophies real bad too. But it was fair and it was fun.

Bring on the Starbud and the Cheese Hortilab. Maybe in 2011 I will use your own genetics to defeat you. LOL!

I predict Starbud sells out as soon as you drop it here.

LOL...for a sec you really got me wondering what I was smoking this afternoon in order to mess up on the dates... BUT... I have to correct you:

The 2nd Place for the UK Cheese in the Indica category was archived at the 2008 IC Mag 420 Cup.

At The 2009 IC Mag 420 Cup we won 1st place for Breeder Indica with our Starbud.

The makeup of your Uranium Cranium Kush definitely sounds dank.

Keep it up Tobor & bring on the competition.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I had the wrong year. I was smoking on some Original Haze when I posted. That is my excuse. You were right so you don't need an excuse but out of curiosity ... What were you smoking?

A

azmatis

started out wanting your starbud, now this , im looking forward to your drop
hortilab, they all look like winners to me!
much respect
azmatis

T

TIME2UNITE

Sorry, but you seem a bit lost TIME2UNITE. Who besides you is talking about the HTCC in this thread?

The 2nd Place in the Indica category was archived at the 2008 IC Mag 420 Cup which is know for its completely fair blind judging system.

If the judges would have agreed with your point of view, they should have given their votes to other entries instead. For some strange reason this did not happen.

And since there is only an Indica & a Sativa category to enter (at most cups), you would suggest to enter Cheese in the sativa category??

LOL you should go back and read I see plenty of HTCC references in this thread. The IC Mag Cup isn't any better.

And yes, real cheese is more sativa then it is Indica, I'll ask you again if you can tell me the Cheese lineage? How much of them genetics are Indica? Now add all that together and add in the part where Sam was breeding for only the sativa traits for years and years before the Cheese cut was found.

We all know if there was any real Indicas in the compitition Cheese would stand no chance. What other Indica placed? Which one took first and third I'd love to hear this.

HortiLab

HortiLab

LOL you should go back and read I see plenty of HTCC references in this thread. The IC Mag Cup isn't any better.

And yes, real cheese is more sativa then it is Indica, I'll ask you again if you can tell me the Cheese lineage? How much of them genetics are Indica? Now add all that together and add in the part where Sam was breeding for only the sativa traits for years and years before the Cheese cut was found.

We all know if there was any real Indicas in the compitition Cheese would stand no chance. What other Indica placed? Which one took first and third I'd love to hear this.

@ TIME2UNITE: This thread is about the original UK Cheese clone.
Not about Skunk#1 or the HTCC. Plenty of HTCC references in this thread?? Besides on page 4 we don´t see em.

Concerning the Cheese, we are aware of the probable linage and our opinion was already posted earlier in this thread:

I would not call Cheese a mutant but just a special Skunk #1 selection from around 1988...at least thats the official story. Wether this "fact" automatically makes it 75% sativa?

I dont know.

From my experience the most dominant sativa traits of the Cheese are in its growth structure.

Besides that, the clone produces rock hard nuggest with a nice stony effect. This is not what I would consider a sativa within our libary at all.

I guess all you ever tried, IF you ever tried any real Cheese or related genetics at all, might be one of the watered down versions.

BB'S is a water down one.. its got a name here in the dam.. I had the real cheese in london back in 98' blows the head away.. too strong for most but I love that .. can't wait to find that taste again...

IC Mag Cup isn´t any better? Thats a very non-ambiguous statement and clearly shows your intention.

Sorry, but we don´t like to waste our time with haters.

Everybody knows that is does not get any fairer, then the IC 420 Cup, when it comes to blind judging.

And now just for you:

Official Results: 2008 IC Mag 420 Growers & Breeders Cup:

Indica Category
1. Buddha's Sister - Soma
2. Cheese - HortiLab
3. Lemon Skunk - Green House
4. So Gouda - Soma
5. Bubba Kush - Green House
6. Purple Bastard - OJD
7. Double Dutch - Magus Genetics
8. Happy Brother - Karma Genetics
9. Aiea - Delta 9
10. Kings Kush - Green House
11. Flylicious - Mosca Negra
12. K Train - Green House

Now back on topic: Original UK Cheese!

T

TIME2UNITE

@ TIME2UNITE: This thread is about the original UK Cheese clone.
Not about Skunk#1 or the HTCC. Plenty of HTCC references in this thread?? Besides on page 4 we don´t see em.

Concerning the Cheese, we are aware of the probable linage and our opinion was already posted earlier in this thread:

I guess all you ever tried, IF you ever tried any real Cheese or related genetics at all, might be one of the watered down versions.

IC Mag Cup isn´t any better? Thats a very non-ambiguous statement and clearly shows your intention.

Sorry, but we don´t like to waste our time with haters.

Everybody knows that is does not get any fairer, then the IC 420 Cup, when it comes to blind judging.

And now just for you:

Official Results: 2008 IC Mag 420 Growers & Breeders Cup:

Indica Category
1. Buddha's Sister - Soma
2. Cheese - HortiLab
3. Lemon Skunk - Green House
4. So Gouda - Soma
5. Bubba Kush - Green House
6. Purple Bastard - OJD
7. Double Dutch - Magus Genetics
8. Happy Brother - Karma Genetics
9. Aiea - Delta 9
10. Kings Kush - Green House
11. Flylicious - Mosca Negra
12. K Train - Green House

Now back on topic: Original UK Cheese!

WOW, look at those killer indicas!! It's amazing!! Your right the Icmag cup is off the chain!! What I meant by it being no better is the strains that are entered.

Last I looked the Original UK Cheese clone is a phenotype of Skunk#1. Which is my whole point for even posting in your thread is a Skunk#1 pheno got 2nd place in an Indica cup.

You got me I'm a hater and never have tried any cheese! Mine had to be fake and watered down and your version got 2nd place at the Icmag cup!!

Rock on!!

D

Dubwobble

Cheese clones (as well as Blue Cheese) are going around the SF bay and Sacramento area.

A friend of mine finished a bunch outdoors this year with stock given to him from J.King

Once you smell it you will always know real cheese. Kinda smells like the cheese isle of Whole Foods market =)

And as far as getting the "real clone" out of the UK... it's pretty easy...

We were able to take clones to Hawaii by cutting them right before we left, and putting them in McDonalds Salads, aranging them like sprouts amongst he salad leaves and stuff. Then we just walked on the plane with our carry on food :mmm and got off in Honanlulu (and then flew to Hilo). We lost a couple babies because they got kinda smooshed, but overall we were able to bring OG Kush, Purple Kush and others to the Big Island 4 years ago.

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

I've had the real UK Cheese for a couple of years.

It's a great, unique strain that is easy to recognize by taste, smell and even by pictures. It's true that after the first taste, you can recognize it forever.

I wouldn't say it smells like cheese, but I've heard it described as a fruity pebbles cereal smell or even fermenting peaches or apricots.

It grows vigorously, stretches fast in bloom and it's leaf structure resembles a tropical sativa in my opinion.

Some people may not say it's the strongest potency-wise out there, but we've heard several stories of people waking up with half a joint still in their hands.

It's a great variety and I"m proud to have it.

Go Cheese or go home!

28percentKOOSH

28percentKOOSH

im one of those cali folks who is currently growing the uk cheese, should have sum pix up of the flowers soon....like to know what everyone thinks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom