Outdoor dirt has alot of clay?

• Thread starter Slap
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slap

Slap

I haven't put my plant in the ground as of yet. Might leave in a pot. If I do put in ground, do I need to put compost mulch and potting soil in the hole and get rid off the clay/ dirt my whole yard consists of. The weeds have no problem growing in it nor do my trees, bushes, lilies ect
What do you guys suggest I do!

Dan789

Dan789

The better the growing medium your plants have, the more they’re going to reward you with in the way of a bigger harvest...You are right about weeds growing in poor soil, but you’re not growing, and providing nutrients and finally smoking weeds, I hope...

Xhale

Xhale

Hi Slap,

I’m not sure how controversial my view is here, so lets see:
this plant is a weed:) we pay top $$ for the seeds and lights and soil and etc. But in its natural form, it is a weed. If you find other plants/trees growing well, then cannabis will also grow well. It might not be perfect, but outdoor growers have this secret: each plant yields high quantity, so if that tiny 1-sip joint does not get you super high like the indoor grows, then this is the main point - you have enough weed to roll another on.
This being said, we wants better weed to smoke, so help nature along a bit. So yes, I would dig a deeper hole than necessary and add better quality soil to help. Personally, I use the Bokashi system to rapidly turn-over *all* my kitchen waste at home into nutrients. and plant the canna on top the many small “bakoshi pits” that are in my garden since last year.

you need about 2-3 months after getting the bokashi bins before you can use it for you plants. one you get your 1st output, the system ticks over itself...as long as you get kitchen scraps, you get wonderful plant food. The interesting thing is that I sometimes buy food thinking : yes, this scrap will be great for the plants (4 months down the line)

I see Dan’s response to you (while I’m typing...awesome website design). I think we smoke weeds...but we really get to pamper these weeds.

Xhale.

Slap

Slap

Hi Slap,

I’m not sure how controversial my view is here, so lets see:
this plant is a weed:) we pay top $$ for the seeds and lights and soil and etc. But in its natural form, it is a weed. If you find other plants/trees growing well, then cannabis will also grow well. It might not be perfect, but outdoor growers have this secret: each plant yields high quantity, so if that tiny 1-sip joint does not get you super high like the indoor grows, then this is the main point - you have enough weed to roll another on.
This being said, we wants better weed to smoke, so help nature along a bit. So yes, I would dig a deeper hole than necessary and add better quality soil to help. Personally, I use the Bokashi system to rapidly turn-over *all* my kitchen waste at home into nutrients. and plant the canna on top the many small “bakoshi pits” that are in my garden since last year.

you need about 2-3 months after getting the bokashi bins before you can use it for you plants. one you get your 1st output, the system ticks over itself...as long as you get kitchen scraps, you get wonderful plant food. The interesting thing is that I sometimes buy food thinking : yes, this scrap will be great for the plants (4 months down the line)

I see Dan’s response to you (while I’m typing...awesome website design). I think we smoke weeds...but we really get to pamper these weeds.

Xhale.

I would love to grow inside. There is another person who doesn't like the sensational, mouth watering, aroma. I know, I know, WTH is wrong with their nose. This is the first canibis plant, I have grown. I also have a big growing pot that holds soil on a grid, under grid it holds water and I can get it up off the ground, if that matters. I'm kinda worried about moths, there are alot of moths around my neck of the woods. Thank you for the advice, starting a compost pile, tomorrow. I too thought, if my other plant life, has been thriving for 50 years, the lil' fella would probably be fine.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The clay around here makes growing difficult without working the soil up a little/lot. Clay sucks for drainage and is difficult for roots to penetrate unless it is broken up. My suggestion would be to either dig out a hole and fill it with a good growing medium or simply dropping your bucket/container into the hole, keeping it ground level and the roots cool. Using regular dirt without considerable modification doesn't produce great results. To thrive, plants need room for roots to spread, but they also need to breathe, which loose medium allows instead of clay!

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I live where there is a lot of clay. I would suggest doing a raised bed vs in the ground. Even when you dig a hole and fill it with fresh soil...and you have a good rain, the hole acts as a bowl would and can turn your new soil into soup. Its important that your natural soil has good drainage If you are going to plant in the ground.
I've literally lost plants because we had 2 days of hard rain and the plants ended up drowning.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Even when you dig a hole and fill it with fresh soil...and you have a good rain, the hole acts as a bowl would and can turn your new soil into soup. Its important that your natural soil has good drainage If you are going to plant in the ground.
Great Point! I have seen holes dug that were still half full of water from a rain days ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom